Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenandwhite_gw

Seeking advice on buying property

greenandwhite
13 years ago

We are currently looking at a piece of property on which to build our dream home. The property has an older existing house on it which would eventually be torn down. It's in disrepair, too close to the road etc. We plan on living in this house while our new home is being built. What we were thinking of doing in order to save more money is just buying the house, living in it for a year, and then taking out a construction loan. What would be some financial or other disadvantages of doing this besides having to pay 2 sets of closing costs? Would it make more sense to use the profit from selling our current home (probably around $100K)to put equity in the new property or set that money aside and let it earn interest? or half and half? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)

• periwinkle18
    13 years ago

We bought a tear down house on a great lot. We kept the old house up while we were planning the new house, because if anything should fall through or if you can't get a construction loan (not an easy task in today's market), it is much harder to sell a lot without a house, at least in my neck of the woods, because of loan issues.

We tore down the old house when we had full approval on the construction loan and closed on it.

I have seen quite a few houses where people lived in the old house and built a new house, and in most cases, it was a bit of a missed opportunity to build around an old house. I think it would be much better to plan a new house build considering the entire lot.

As far as whether to sell the house you are currently living in, you might want to explore the construction loan market in your area before making that decision. When we got a construction loan, we ended up having to put more than 35% down, including paying off the entire price of the lot that we bought. If this is still the case with the construction loan market, I guess your decision will be based on whether you need the equity from your old house to put into the construction loan.

Good luck!

• greenandwhite
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the response Periwinkle! The lot is plenty large enough (over 7 acres) that living in the old house won't affect where we build the new one. Part of what I was wondering I guess would be if the equity in the property could be used as part of the downpayment on the constructuion loan.

• sweet_tea
    13 years ago

the equity of the property already will be used as downpayment of construction loan. This is because the construction loan will include the land as well as the "to be house". It will be appraised, wholly - land plus expected imrovements.

Not sure how this will work if you already have an existing home on the lot. Thinking the whole thing gets rolled in as equity on the construction loan unless you can split out the lot for the construction loan to exclude the part where the old home exists.

Also note that if you are building a 2nd home, you might require 2 utility connections, 2 septics, etc. Not sure if there are zoning issues for you regarding #units per lot and if you are allowed a 2nd home.

As far as earning interest on the $100k after selling your home. Interest rates today are pretty low. A 1 year CD is in the 1-1.5% range. So you won't make much money at all on interest at the current interest rates.

• greenandwhite
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the response sweet tea. I've checked out the zoning issues and it's doable. Once the new house is completed the old house would need to be demolished within a certain time period.

I guess it would depend on the appraised value of the land minus the existing home.

• User
    13 years ago

greenandwhite, When you get to the final stage, and depending on the age of the current house, don't simply tear it down and dump it in a landfill. There are loads of old house lovers that might love to buy it's parts in a salvage auction. We've furnished some of our existing old home with parts that were originally installed in other homes. We bought them at demo auctions. Could recoup some costs AND save some landfill space...

• greenandwhite
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip Patser! I'll certainly keep that in mind. Although I have my doubts. this place has been neglected, and even when it was new realy had no archetectural character whatsoever. If it did, I'd probably keep that stuff myself! I'm sure I can sell some of the materials for scrap.

• larke
    13 years ago

Only thing that would concern me is having to live in the old place and discovering it wasn't do-able without expensive repairs that could take away from the budget for the new place.

• greenandwhite
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Larke - We're going into this knowing we're going to have to put a few bucks into the old place to make it liveable. We'll definitely have a thorough inspection done so we know what we're getting into. It's that, or spend $1K/month renting while the house is being built and not being able to save as much money or build any additional equity into the property.

• ncrealestateguy
    13 years ago

You really need to speak to a mortgage expert to determine what they can and can not do as far as the equity thing goes...