Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenes_gw

Window Treatments for Kitchen

jenes
13 years ago

We're getting ready to sell, and the curtains in the kitchen are torn in a way that can't be sewn -- there's not enough material to sew them together because the tear is right where there is some lace. I need to remove them and I think it would look better if I replaced them than just leave off treatments altogether, since otherwise it looks a little barren. I don't have anything on the windows in the living and dining rooms.

What's 'in' right now? Do people still like miniblinds or did those go out years ago? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to go cheap. There's only two windows (the double-hung kind), so it won't cost too much no matter what.

I was thinking about putting something up in the master bedroom, too, since I took down the drapes a few years ago. Same thing, two double-hung windows.

Thank you for any suggestions and a clue on what's in style.

Comments (13)

• graywings123
    13 years ago

People hate mini-blinds. Roman shades are in, stationary panels hung at ceiling height to the floor using decorative rods are in. Bamboo blinds, also called stick blinds, are in and relatively inexpensive if you don't need custom sizes. Wood or faux wood horizontal blinds would work.

Depending on the room, you might be able to use white cotton sheers.

Try posting photos of the rooms on the Home Decorating forum for ideas. Let them know what your budget is per room. Window treatments can get pricey very quickly.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

I'd use 2" wide faux wood blinds, off-white if that won't clash with your other colors.

(Pure white makes everything else look dirty, & "wood" finish darkens the room.)

• jenes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, some great ideas there. Roman shades would probably add a little softness to the kitchen.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I would actually probably leave them bare. When showing the home you want to have your window treatments open anyway. Make it easier and leave them off entirely.

• kathyg_in_mi
    13 years ago

I just have valances in my kitchen (3) windows. With these, the windows don't look bare!
    Kathy G in MI

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

If you want to repair them, get a bit of mesh - that bridal veil stuff - in the same color and apply it to the rear of the curtains as a patch. Sew the edges of the rip to the mesh with matching thread.

It's almost invisible and will last for several years.

• jenes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's where I have to admit that they're also stained and the rod is bent. Add in that they're decades out of style and a dingy yellowish cream, and it seemed to make sense to go new or go bare. But I appreciate the sewing advice -- I'm pretty handy with a needle and I don't know why I never got to fixing them. It's easy to get used to how your house is, but now that I'm trying to look at it from the point of a stranger, I'm noticing the flaws again.

Thanks to everyone.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I'm pretty handy with a needle and I don't know why I never got to fixing them.

I know why - you said it yourself:
    they're also stained and the rod is bent. Add in that they're decades out of style and a dingy yellowish cream

• stolenidentity
    13 years ago

I'd just leave them bare. Leaving the window bare of treatment will allow anyone interested in the home let their imagination make it perfect. Looking at it that way can mask or make lesser of any flaws that might exist. Let the new homeowner pick the treatment after they make an offer, what's "in" isn't what everyone wants.

• jenes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lol Terriks, the curtain tore at the same time that the rod bent in the Great Curtain Accident back in '07. I was going to buy a new rod and then I noticed the stains. They didn't come out when I laundered them, and I stuck them back up and pretended they didn't exist for the last four years. I stand by my choices.

Sasafras, I'm looking at this as the equivalent to painting everything beige. Some people hate beige, but more people would hate bright pink. If I go with what's currently in, at least it won't be screaming 'outdated'. Of course, leaving them bare won't either, and that's still in the running.

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

I've always put up white curtains when it was time to sell. I prefer the look. It's soft and clean.

• shenandoah
    13 years ago

Especially if your kitchen isn't up-to-the-minute modern, I'd leave the windows bare. Younger buyers, especially, seem to be impressed by sleek, spartan kitchens. A torn, yellowed lace curtain isn't going to give that impression, and in fact, may call the buyer's attention to other features in the room that suggest faded glory, or worse -- neglect. In general my feeling is, if you can't afford the bucks to make it brand-new, go for minimalism.

• jenes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The kitchen isn't up to the minute, but the cabinets and tile are attractive and in good shape, and most of the appliances are newer. Fortunately, the curtains are the only thing that are really awful, and they're now gone and I'm seeing how it feels. It's interesting that people like spartan, thanks.