Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Dec. 8-9

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

I almost forgot to start the weekend thread! I am busy working on the Zelda quilt. I finished the large Link character today and started Ganon, the block with 1/2 inch finished squares.
On Thursday I quilted the Mario quilt that I made for DS. I still have to make labels for all of the quilts I am giving for Christmas.
Is anyone else busy finishing Christmas quilts?
I am almost done with my shopping. I am waiting for one more gift that I ordered.
Happy Quilting!
Linda OH

Comments (17)

• finchelover
    11 years ago

I just finished a top and tomorrow will sandwich,pin and quilt and hope to get this small quilt done for my great granddaughter in time for xmas if I have no interruptions

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Link is adorable, Linda. I'll keep appliqueing kimono's today. My girls know they are getting the quilts and they're old enough to not care if they are not ready Christmas morning, so no real stress.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Squeezing a little in...Christmas concerts are this weekend, so we have to be at church at 4:15 both days and won't get home till late.

These are going to be difficult concerts this year...our music director (and good friend of DH & I) is leaving at the end of the year. He's been struggling with major medical issues the last couple of years and is going out on medical leave, but I suspect he won't be able to come back. He's been the music director at our church for 27 years.

So...I just decided to make him a quilt, so need to pick the pattern and get going soon! LOL I just got my 2 books from Martingale so I may pick one of those, or maybe one that's been on my "someday" list.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Linda/OH, This quilt is going to be amazing!

Donna, I'm sorry about your music director. I'm thinking you and your husband will be a great support for him.

I've been trying to get a few things done, but can't seem to get the 'umph' to do so. I've been working on a D9P - white on black/black on white for the corners, with a pink center and white for the sides. Am leaving the four components of each block singular until I get all of them completed so they can be arranged properly. Using up what I have on hand, there are 2 different BOW and 3 different WOB. I think I have it arranged correctly but want to wait until I get the next 4 done before putting them all together.....which shouldn't take all that long. Confused you yet? lol

Also, haven't even cut the fleece for 4 more neck warmers yet. I cut some a few weeks ago and didn't cut it the right way.....stretchy has to be the long way...so don't know what I'll do with those 4......try again, I guess. :-(

Have a great week-end everyone.

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Link is really cute. Looks like your hard work paid off!

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I'm squeezing a bit of applique in to make progress on another Xmas wallhanging - like I needed another one. Couldn't resist this pattern. It keeps me busy and provides my therapy.

I worked all day yesterday on the train and will again today but I get tomorrow off - yayyyyy! Eight hours on your feet on a moving, antique 14-car train wears a person out - unless you're in your twenties. We have 400 people per run, many of whom turn their kids loose to run back and forth the whole trip.

I would dispair over this holiday month except my kids are coming from all over and that is a real blessing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our holiday train, San Francisco area

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Linda, Link is amazing. 1/2" sq, are a LOT of work and you have done them so well. I can't even think of doing a whole quilt that way. Good luck TFS.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Linda, Link is amazing. 1/2" sq, are a LOT of work and you have done them so well. I can't even think of doing a whole quilt that way. Good luck TFS.

• calliope
    11 years ago

That quilt is going to be fascinating, Linda. The work is just meticulous. What fun!

Yes, of course I'll be quilting this weekend. :-) I have decided to gift my DD and husband the sun/stars quilt and need to finish off just one little smathering of hand-work across a border so I can post it tomorrow. It just would fit her more than I because they are into astronomy big time and the old-fashioned traditional patterns suit my house better.

Work continues on the blue/cream quilt and I was disappointed to find I had miscalculated on how many 12" blocks I needed. Good thing this is not a present or it would not have been finished by Christmas. I need 64 blocks and am on block 55 now. It's been a really fun quilt so far, and has been a wonderful stash buster but starting to get old.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I would love to ride on the train TG Linda!!!

OH Linda I love Link!!

I just finished a quilted cosmetic bag for a gift and now I have to start wrapping for our fam Christmas party the 15TH!

After that I am hoping to return to my blue work snowmen quilt.
    Rosa

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update on the Zelda quilt... It took me all Saturday to just lay out the squares for Ganon. There are 1296 one inch squares in that block. Most of the other blocks have 324 squares that are 1.5 inches. Today I am laying out the rest of the blocks and pressing to fusible. I told DH that this step is like putting a puzzle together.
    Linda OH

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I finished my swap blocks yesterday morning. Did a few other chores yesterday and today, and have now decided (with DH's help) on a quilt for our friend Bryan. It's in an old Quilters Newsletter Magazine (Nov 2004) called Blackford's Beauty, and it's been on my "someday" list for a long time! I've been playing around in EQ this afternoon designing a little smaller version, adding some different touches, and toting up the number of pieces to cut. I think I can get it all out of my stash!

Donna

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Toolgranny. Wow, you really keep busy. I hadn't heard of the train before. Thanks for the link. It looks like fun, although it sounds like it might not be all that much fun for you ;-)

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Loving the Link quilt!! It looks like something my son would do with Legos. Too cute!!

Linda, love that train ride! I wish trains were more affordable to ride. Love that way of travel.

Not much quilting for me recently. I'm starting up an embroidery business and luckily, it is starting off pretty well, but making it hard to get anything else done (like decorating the house!).

Robbi

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Donna, What colors are you using? I saw an Amish Blackford's Beauty and it was awesome! I'd like to see one with a white background instead of black, though.

I have 4 more big blocks to put together for the D9P then sew the 13 1/2 inch blocks together for the top. I should probably make more blocks but I'm kind of tired of making them. I'll just put more borders on it as it will only be 39 X 52........I started with 5 inch squares. I'm really pleased with how this is turning out.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Amish Blackford's Beauty

• karpet
    11 years ago

I think about all I did this weekend was sew! But the commission quilt is ready to be sandwiched today so that is good.
    Karlene

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Ooh, Sharon, that one is really pretty! So far I'm planning scrappy with an off white background.

Donna

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz