Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Looking for old issue...

jennifer_in_va
12 years ago

I'm looking for the July/August 1998 issue of Quilter's Newsletter, issue 304. Does anyone happen to have something this far back?

Specifically, I'm looking for an article/pattern called "Quilt as You Go Pinwheels".

Any help would be appreciated! I'm trying to put together instructions for a class I'm teaching in March.

Thanks! Jennifer

Comments (12)

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Try this:

Here is a link that might be useful: google

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for trying. I'm looking for a specific pattern that was originally published in Quilter's Newsletter to compare to the modified instructions I was given.

In these instructions, each block is layered and birthed, then they get top-stitched to each other. I'll try to show you when I'm done with samples...

• cass062
    12 years ago

Jennifer, I did a quick ebay search and found a couple available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilter's Newsletter July/Aug 1998

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think that's it...Unfortunately, I don't have time to purchase it and get it here.

Thanks for trying.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

My oldest is 2003, sorry.

beverly

• day2day
    12 years ago

I found this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: QAYG pinwheels

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for looking around. None of these links are going to help me.

But if you'd like to try out my (not really mine, but the one I'm going to teach) method, here are the directions.... It might only take you about 15 minutes to sew up one block, so give it a try and see if you like it!!

Step 1: Using 4 1/2" squares, sew up a four patch block with 1/4" seams.

Step 2: With block face down, place a 5 1/2" square of batting with points on each seam line (on point). Baste around all four sides of batting with a long stitch (It will be removed later)

Step 3: Fold block in half to form a rectangle, right sides together and stitch both short sides with 1/4" seams.

Step 4: Match the two side seams that you just stitched to meet in the center of the long edge. Stitch, leaving about a 3" opening so you can turn right side out. At this point you should be able to 'see' the square block with the batting square showing on the outside.

Step 5: Turn the block right side out and press. This is your quilted 'block'. Remove the basting stitches.

Step 6: Butt two finished 'blocks' up against each other and top stitch with a wide zig-zag to stitch them together. Top stitch with a zig-zag or decorative stitch on top of all seams to 'quilt' the units. If you do this top stitching you will not need to hand stitch those 3" openings closed.

I hope that all makes sense. I can try to post pictures later if it'll help anyone visualize...If you wish to try it, that is.

• empress
    12 years ago

Jennifer,

Sorry to take so long to respond, but I just found my QNM issue you are looking for. Page 22 has "Reversible Quilt-As-You-Go" by Margaret Gutowsky. The pattern does look like a pinwheel, but is made using hourglass blocks.

If it's not too late, how can I help?

Valerie

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Valerie,
    THanks so much for taking the time to look!!!

Does the article include any layout possibilities using different color selections?

Do you have any way you could copy the pattern, or take a picture of it, and email it to me?

Thanks, jennifer

• empress
    12 years ago

Jennifer,

The pattern/article is complete on a 2-page spread.
    The instructions result in a crib-size (39-3/8" x 56-1/4")with 70 blocks set 7 x 10. You alternate horizontal and vertical hourglasses.

The materials list calls for 140 4-1/2" squares of white (2-1/2 yards) and 140 4-1/2" squares of bright scraps.

No other layout possibilities or other color selections given.

Not convenient to get the camera or scanner out right now, I'm balancing my laptop taking a short break from a mystery quilt right now, need to finish today because I have to go back to work tomorrow and I do not want to start the year with another UFO...

Let me know though if you still need something later.

Valerie

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Valerie~

No, don't bother with camera/scanner. If that's all there is to the directions, then it doesn't help much. I was just curious if they'd done different color schemes because I'd been handed a black/white copy of some layouts and some looked like they had the hourglass with 3 of one color and 1 of another... It seemed squirly.

Guess I'll get out EQ and play with colored layouts.

Thanks for looking at it for me. Good luck with the Mystery! (I know how it turns out! hee hee)

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA