Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

backing advice needed

bev2009
9 years ago

I'm still working on getting together the quilts for the LAQ class I schedule for next week. For the queen size depression quilt, does it matter how may seams I have on the backing for the machine quilting. I'm trying to use up scraps so was thinking about 5" squares of all the different prints on the back with wider strips around those. Would all those seams be a problem?

Comments (10)

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I don't think it would be a problem. I like piecing at least part of the backing and have never run into problems quilting it. Go for it!

Kate

• loree_s
    9 years ago

I love pieced backs, too, but having a lot of seams make it more likely that there will be front and back seams that form a lump of fabric. The lumps can be harder for longarmers to quilt through. I have a Sweet 16 sit down machine and the machine has to work hard to get through those bumps. Can you use some of those scraps for your binding instead?

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Since this is your first time maybe you should simplify it?? BTW, I was thinking about checking with my LQS about classes and was wondering about the project they would have you working on, did they stipulate that you had to have a project ready of your own to work on? If so I was wondering if the first time should be very minimal seams - perhaps even a whole-cloth quilt. I will of course ask about all of this but just wondering what the deal is with your classes.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Just a thought!
    What if you did 1/2 in seams on those pieces and pressed them open. Your squares would end up smaller but It would reduce the bulk.
    I know when I do a pieced back, I press open.
    Theresa

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I agree with loree 100%.
    My advice:
    Since you want to learn this art of longarm quilting, now is NOT the time to be frugal with your backing with unnecessary piecing for all the reasons stated above and many more. The backing is key to a successful, square quilt, without puckers.
    The short version of what you should do: KISS :~)
    Use as few seams as possible and run them in the direction (along the take-up bar of the frame) as it will be loaded on the frame.
    Remove all selvages.
    Sew the seams 1/2" wide and press OPEN.
    Make sure the backing has the required extra after it is squared -- Yes -- it needs to be perfectly squared. I've provided a link below - this is how I do it. Scary the first time, but it works everytime!

Before I did anything.....I would contact the shop and find out what their requirements are and how you should prepare. There are alot of right ways to prepare your backing...... I love pieced backings, interesting backings, but the backing is pulled taut, and seams are issues.

I suggest you go to a few longarm sites and read how to prepare a backing. You have pieced a beautiful quilt; you do not want your backing to make it wonky.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Square a Backing

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent advice everyone and thanks. For the class I just need 1 1/2 yards of each, top, batting and backing, which I've prepared, although I will go back and make sure they are squared. Then my goal is to go in once a week to work on actual quilts, starting with a throw size quilt. I've got 5 quilts (that I'm concentrating on....more if I count all. LOL) in various stages and I was beginning to get confused, so I thought I would take one quilt at a time and get everything ready.

Instead I'll cut and piece the throw quilt while I am waiting for the class, as that is the first one I wanted to quilt. While in the class I can discuss the backing for the queen quilt. Time wise, it was going to be a pain to cut all the small pieces and DD is waiting for her warm quilt. So I think I'll check out some of the websites and see if I can get some larger fabric, even if not extra wide, for the queen. I don't have a large stash, so all these small pieces can go back into it.

I did not know about pressing the seams open for the backing, but of course, there is a lot I don't know.

I cleaned out some binders yesterday, so I've got to use one with notes for quilting. I'll add these suggestions to it. Thank you so much.

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Bev-sounds like you have a plan - for each quilt -- Good!

After you take your class, if the shop requires (gives you the option) to buy your own zipper leaders (that zip to the ones attached to their frame) seriously consider buying them, so you are able to prepare your backings at home to zip right onto the frame at the shop and start quilting. This will help you be more productive at the shop, and hopefully allow you to focus on developing your quilting skills.

You are lucky to have this available to you. I want to hear all the details.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We switched the class from last week to today. I really enjoyed it and feel like i can master it. I'm sure I will have to be told several times some of the mechanics, but overall I'm happy with how I caught on. I didn't take notes because she has a binder there with instructions I can refer to. When I go in to actually work on it, I'll jot down notes for the things she has to remind me about. The 3-hour class today was $36. To rent it is $40 min for two hours and then $20/hr. She only charges you for the time the machine is running and the # of stitches for the thread, if you use her's. The machine has a counter to keep track. This is good, as I'm not charged for "thinking and remembering" time. LOL

I had thought I'd make a tote out of the practice piece from today, but I have so many quilts, and some aprons, already on my plate, I think I'll bind it and give it to an animal shelter.

I appreciated the link on how to square the fabric. I've always heard that if you tear the fabric, it will be square. But then I try to lay it out and it won't lay right, even though it is suppose to. So I cut it as instructed in the link and everything laid out evenly. Then I went to the shop and she made a cut and tore the fabric on each end "so it would be square." LOL I'm sure I'll have to do it that way on my first couple of quilts while I might need her help to get it loaded on, but once I'm independent, I use the other squaring method.

Her leaders are attached with velcro and I can buy a set for $60. I probably will, because to rent them is $10 each time. As, I have six quilts already in the queue, and we are building another children's home in Africa, so next year I could be making another dozen quilts for that. (I already have a bunch of fabric bought in kid's friendly prints and can't wait to get started on those.)

If you do not get in to work on a quilt within 30 days, you have to retake the class since she assumes you will have forgotten much of it and will need her to help. This will definitely inspire me to get back in there, even with the holidays.

Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted with my progress!

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Bev, that pricing sounds very fair! You are so lucky. Take a camera or phone and snap pictures of the beginning of your quilting rows, esp anything special you do on a border. That way you can refer to the picture of exactly what you quilted that is now rolled up on the take up bar & you won't have to ''remember" when you get to the last border to quilt.

I am surprised she ripped that backing. I am a ripper. Ripping gets your fabric on grain. It does not make it square, as you saw for yourself. Sometimes I will rip it first, but then I always cut it like the link above to get it square.

Always start with a new needle -- does she charge you for the needles?

You will have alot of fun if you keep at it and practice. I am so jealous of your opportunity!
    Post a picture of our first quilting. Keep track of your progress.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If we break a needle, it is $1.50, but I'm sure I could just buy one to start. Great idea about taking the pic. Thanks.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022