Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Anything good for Christmas?

jennifer_in_va
9 years ago

Did you get anything good for Christmas (whether it relates to quilting or not?)

DH & I don't usually exchange gifts, but he totally surprised me with a new IPad Air 2!! I've been having fun with that. It was handy to take into my sewing room today to watch YouTube videos while I was trying to learn how to do blind hems on my serger. And then it played me some music while I sewed!

Tonight I was able to get 3 pairs of kids pajama bottoms almost complete, and a 4th about halfway done. After that, DH has commissioned me to do a quilt for a retiring Col... Guess I might finally get some quilting time!

Comments (14)

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I got lots of gift cards. My boss gave me an Amazon one. Hancock's of Paducah sells through Amazon, so I ordered 7 yards of quilt backing 108 " fabric. I have some Joanne's ones to spend too. I will probably get quilt backing with those. I have a 40% off coupon. My son gave me a Quiltmaker subscription. My husband gave me a new smart tv for my sewing room. It is great to watch the youtube videos on the bigger screen. I have subscribed to several youtube channels on quilting, so I can sit and have them on tv all day long. :) I have an IPad too Jen. They gave it to me at work. Little do they know that all I use it for is quilting videos LOL. It really comes in handy when I travel. I think all in all, I got some really good gifts this year. I had been searching for some graduated little bowls to put ingredients in after I measure them for making bread etc...I had mentioned it to my mom at Thanksgiving, so she came through and found them for me. I had looked everywhere here local and could not find them. I was excited to get them.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I got new cookware and a new hammock and stand, and now I will have lots of time to use it.

beverly

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Jen, you will love your iPad...I am inseparable from mine and use it all the time in my sewing room...it comes in soooo handy! My dh calls me ipad Val...we go everywhere together...at least at home, :/)... Also handy for recipes in the kitchen...etc

My family exchanges, but just little things, but this year I was really touched by one gift from my niece in NY...its a wall decal decal for my sewing room "When Life Gives You Scraps.... Make a Quilt" I hope to clean up my room today and figure out where to place it.

My DH was very proud of himself...he got me a Kona color swatch card and a Kona jelly roll..., now I've shown him jelly rolls before, but I guess it didn't register, cause he kept saying all day christmas...I know what a jelly roll is....so proud of himself for getting a JR... I was thrilled, but his antics made it all worth while!

Wonderful holiday... Now off to the sewing room!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

DH was hoping to get a large enough bonus to buy a new TV, and he did! He's in the garage now assembling the entertainment center he got with it, too. It came from a store that sells unfinished hardwood furniture, so he's spent several days staining and sealing it. We ordered the TV from Best Buy yesterday (it was out of stock). So that's our Christmas to each other. :)

I got a JoAnn gift card and some cash, so I'm happy. :)

Donna

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Yesterday I finally got my Viking back from the hospital - today I'll find out if the surgery was a success. I used some gift money to buy new fabric for our next Round Robin round. A woman standing next to me at the check-out spent $1000 for maybe a new machine or sewing table - she paid in cash.

My gift to myself this year was something I have wanted for a long time:
    a handcarved wood dough bowl.

{{gwi:2136897}}

Teresa

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Teresa, I saw your post on the cooking forum, all of us there are very envious of your bowl. That's a work of art.
    I got Joann's gift cards and also one for the LQS, hoping to use that one for Long-Arm class. I'm waiting on a good sale on the muslin by-the-bolt before I use the Joann's gift cards, I am all out of bleached and very low on the unbleached. If I have money left over I'll probably use it on batting as I only have one left.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

P.S. - I asked for a big crystal bowl full of very large perfect diamonds so that I could take it out in the sun and just google it forever. Guess what??

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Mrs Claus got me a Tutto Machine on Wheels sewing machine case for traveling and workshops. It is bright orange and matches the trim on my travel machine. This past summer I joined our Guild's Bee & a Quilt Book Study Group. The Tutto makes it much easier & safer.

The best gift we got was a wonderful family to share the holidays with; even though we have shared the last 5 Christmases with them, it filled my heart to be Officially connected as In-Laws.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if I like Teresa's gift better or Val's! Those are both awesome!

Nice to hear everyone getting good stuff to encourage their creativity.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Teresa.. Love that dough bowl! I occasionally make bread from scratch and that looks perfect...

ritaweeda...love it...dream on ... dream on!! :~)

V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

DH and I haven't exchanged gifts for a few years. Sometimes he surprises me by having doughnuts sitting by the coffee pot when I get up, but not this year. However, the kids/grands came through with gift cert to Denny's, fabric for me, subscriptions to mags for both of us (large print for me) and I bought myself a few yards of sale fabric from Connecting Threads (at a little over $2 a yard) and the Patch Pals book from Amazon.

V. I can just hear your DH being so proud of knowing what a jelly roll is. My DH is still proud of the quilting terms he's learned. Especially the fat quarter. lol

SharonG/FL

• loisflan
    9 years ago

My husband and I were looking for some activities we could do together. We both bowled in the past and thought we'd try it out again. My old ball weighs 15 pounds, and there's no way I can throw that weight any more, so he got me a new 11 pounder, shoes and bag. He wanted a pressure cooker, so I bought him an Instant Pot. We'll probably have to wait until we get home from Hawaii to try our gifts out. My daughter also made me a hand-knit market bag that is just beautiful.

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

You all received nice gifts. My DH gave me an iPad mini. I didn't know I wanted one but I love it. Jen and Tristan put him up to it. I also received a quilting book, lots of FQs and a Lori Holt pattern. It has four small quilts I am going make for my sewing room.

Linda OH

This post was edited by lindaoh on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 23:33

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

For Christmas my hubby got me stuff for the house, my son got me a pair of OLFA precision applique scissors, and my mom got me a bolt of fusible interfacing, and my sister got me a new set of pots for my kitchen, and my brother got me some home decor items..... I had a good Christmas!

Best to you all,
    Sandra

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz