Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalpatsy

Quilts in movies

petalpatsy
14 years ago

I'm watching movies and noticing every bedroom scene. There always seems to be a pieced quilt on the bed.

The Birdcage--in the senator's bedroom as he climbs in the window--look at the bed. It shows a star block pattern with a big daisy appliqued in the middle.

You've got Mail-- When Meg Ryan is sick and Tom Hanks drops by, he covers her up with a pieced quilt, but I didn't catch the pattern and don't own the DVD.

There are more, but I've just decided to keep a mental list--I know there's another one I've forgotten. Do you notice this same thing? Can you recall any specific movies?

Comments (33)

• User
    14 years ago

The obvious one is How to Make an American Quilt with Winona Ryder and Ellen Burstyn. I'm thinking there were a few in the children's bedrooms in both Bicentennial Man and Home Alone. I'll have to start paying closer attention.
    Neat observation!

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

I think I recall seeing one in Stepmom with Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon. I believe the Sarandon character was making quilts for her children to have after she was gone.

And I know there was one in a movie where the mom was dying and she was preparing her friend to raise her daughters after she was gone - but I can't remember the name of it or who the actresses were.

• jennifer_in_va
    14 years ago

There were different pieced quilts on every child's bed (6 or 7) in the movie Nanny McPhee.

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

Quilts are used in movies to send a message and create a certain feeling of home and belonging. It's no accident they are there.
    Watch any Disney movie with a child in a bed and I can almost promise you there will be a quilt on the bed or wrapped around the child including those Disney's animated features!

• User
    14 years ago

Well I can't think of any in movies offhand, but I can think of Quilts in TV series. In particular, the British import called As Time Goes By w/ Judy Dench. They've got a Pinwheel quilt over their bed.

• karpet
    14 years ago

How about the Walmart commercial for $4 perscriptions - there is a beautiful 'Birds in the Air' behind the older gentleman that looks like he's sitting at the kitchen table.

• bozogardener
    14 years ago

The (bad) movie I watched last night "The Christmas Shoes" the mother had a quilt hanging on the wall in her hallway. It looked to be a variation of a bargello quilt. I have actually noticed quite a few quilts in TV shows and movies. At my dentist's office, she has a large quilt hanging in the waiting room.

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

I watched Holiday Inn last night and sure enough there were quilts in a few scenes. Now that it's been mentioned I'm seeing them alot more often!

• petalpatsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Heh, heh, Carol, once I started noticing them it seems like I see one in every movie I watch. Except Independence Day--the President's bed had a crocheted lace spread. (Snob)

• easystitches
    14 years ago

There was a really odd one in a snapple commercial last year.
    It was a company logo quilt for snapple?? Jill

• alabamajanet
    14 years ago

There was a quilt in the Coneheads Movie too! LOL Janet

• bluebars
    14 years ago

This one comes to mind: National Velvet, the original one with Liz Taylor and Mickey Rooney. When the horse "Pie" gets sick, they cover him with a handmade quilt. Then, when the horse gets better and stands up, they toss this beautiful quilt into the corner of the stall!
    BlueBars

• petalpatsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The corner of the stall???? Surely that kind of stuff just happens in the movies--like Frankenstein or Jaws.

• User
    14 years ago

In "Gone with the Wind", when all the poorer citizens were evacuating Atlanta, they had all their belongings wrapped up in quilts and slung across their backs. Elaine in "Seinfeld" had a quilt behind her bed on the wall. Also on "Seinfeld" Kramer had a quilt that he conned Jerry into taking to the cleaners for him. Jerry made the cleaners mad and Kramer was freaking out because he couldn't get his quilt back. I think there was one in the movie "The Yearling" also.

Rita

• anitastitch
    14 years ago

They always had pretty quilts on Little House on the Prairie. I've also seen them on The Young and The Restless.

Now you all know my weird tv choices :)

• jck1210
    14 years ago

I watch a lot of hgtv and love seeing homes where every room has a quilt. Just last night on property virgins one of the homes had quilts on the beds and then they went into what must be the sewing room and you saw the owners sewing table with a quilt in progress!!

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

I've been watching the DVDs of the HBO series "True Blood." I know; I know; there's no accounting for taste! LOL The series is based on Charlaine Harris' "Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse" mystery books.

The books are great! The HBO televised versions of them are, well, down to HBO standards! But they're also like a train wreck. Having read all the books, once I started watching the series I just have to continue. LOL

But I digress.

In the first season of the series, there are a number of beautiful quilts in the bedrooms and living room of Sookie's house. In a couple scenes she's wrapped up in a quilt on the front porch. They are all old fashioned patterns, probably meant to look like they were made by Sookie's grandmother.

• petalpatsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

AHA! Another one--- in 50 First Dates (set in Hawaii) in Drew Barrymore's bedroom, Adam Sandler holds up a quilt to protect himself from her throwing things. HEE HEE! It's a classic echo quilted Hawaiian quilt.

Isn't that nice???? I got a foolishly large kick out it!

• solstice98
    14 years ago

50 First Dates - I love that movie! I can't believe I didn't remember that quilt. Thanks for reminding me!

Kate

• s_c_jacobs_home_nl
    13 years ago

The quilt in You've got mail is made of a Spinning Wheel patern, if I'm not mistaken.I do love that one, but also in the tv-series (special victem unit) with Olivia they show lots of quilts, in the interviewroom for children.

Here is a link that might be useful: de avonturen van Zipje ne Zopje

• ohiojudy
    13 years ago

You 've missed one of the prettiest. I can't think of the name of the movie but Harrison Ford is a policeman that stays with an Amish family. The little boy saw a murder. Anyway there is a beautiful appliqued wedding quilt. It's one of my favorites, and everytime I think of the movie I picture the quilt.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

"Witness"

• petalpatsy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How'd I miss that one? I've watched Witness about 10 times...must have been distracted, by, you know, Harrison Ford.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Have you seen Rehobeth Beach? Richard Gere & (can't remember who). There's a quilt on the wall. Beautiful.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Oops. Not "Rehoboth Beach". The movie is "Nights in Rodanthe". Richard Gere and Diane Lane. (sorry)

• User
    13 years ago

Loved that movie... Nights in Rodanthe!

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I've been searching for a picture of the quilt from Rodanthe... but I can't find one. Guess I'll have to watch the movie again. I did find a link to the guy who made the driftwood boxes used in the movie, but not the quilt. That doesn't seem fair.

And speaking of 'not fair', didn't you hate the way Winona Ryder drags that beautiful, hand-sewn quilt through the dirt towards the end of How to Make an American Quilt? I loved the movie but that scene always bothers me.

Kate

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Last night I watched a great old movie from 1943, Random Harvest, with Greer Garson and Ronald Colman. In a scene where she is recovering (for days, at home) from giving birth, there is a lovely quilt on the bed: some large pieced blocks with a somewhat scalloped edge on the quilt. I imagined it blue......the movie was in black and white.

Teresa

• equilter
    13 years ago

Speaking of Winona Ryder....there were quilts in "Little Women" with Susan Sarandon.

• petalpatsy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

But even a quilt can't rescue that version of Little Women. Painful.

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Since I have started quilting I notice quilts in almost every movie. Last night we watched an old BBC thriller and there was a very modern looking sort of Bento Box.
    Rosa

• gal8573
    11 years ago

In Little Women--there was an Album Quilt hand tied and a Shoo Fly. And more...

And in Sleepy Hollow, Johnny Depp sleeps under some kind of sugar cone on point quilt. Very pretty. Forgot what was happening in the movie when that popped up!

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Don't you just love it when this happens... I just read this post today, and tonight on TV are both 50 First Dates (which I watched and saw the beautiful quilt) and How to Make an American Quilt. Lois