Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Chess Board / Checkers Board Quilt

K8Orlando
12 years ago

This is a link to a chess board quilt project. I know none of us need a new project but this is too cool not to share.

"When a bobbin is just a pawn"

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Chess Board Quilt!

Comments (11)

• wynative
    12 years ago

That is really cool!

I made a counted cross stitch checker piece and then a box to place it on. The pieces are buttons covered in cross stitched lady bugs and honey bee's and are stored under the board in a little drawer. I place it on the patio table in the summer and kids love to come play. They only problem is that I have to have them keep their hands clean so that the pieces do not get dirty.

I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow and post.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Love it Kate. The chess pieces are very creative.

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I'm sooooo glad I did not see this until now--not even tempted for this year, but there is always next year full of gift giving occasions!
    This looks like a cool blog - Thanks!

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Cute idea! Years ago I had a pattern for a checkerboard done in homespuns and the pieces were little stuffed cats in 2 colors (of course they were cats!).

Donna

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

That's really cute!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Two of my neighbors have surgery scheduled for January. I'm thinking of making these boards for each of them. I was struggling with a quick way to make the chess pieces, but if I do it like checkers it will be much easier and quicker!

One of them is a golfer so I could do the board in a sand colored fabric and a grass print fabric, then make the pieces in a white dot to look like golf balls and... what? maybe orange dotted to look like the orange ones?

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Here's an easier one - and somewhere I saw a magnetic chess set to make - on a blog ...... somewhere.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Chess set

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! Those chess pieces wouldn't be hard to do at all.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Very nice. Love her immagination. I have always wanted to do a checkers set. Maybe some day. I don't have any chess player but that would be fun to do. If I were still selling I would make an effort.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

That is just too cute. Thanks.

• new2quilting
    12 years ago

I have been wanting to make one of these for a Quilts for Kids quilt using the pattern linked. I also want to make some tic tac toe roll-up play boards for kids one of these days. Saw a very cute one of those where they made two sided pieces (such as one side cats other one dogs) and kids could use that. That would work for checkers, but not chess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chess board quilt