Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new2quilting

Bradley Quilt company ultra quilter?

new2quilting
11 years ago

Has any one ever seen an Ultra Quilter table/frame demo'd? I'm thinking of getting a frame to put a Juki on and like that this is a table you can supposedly easily break down and store under the bed or in a closet or keep out and use for cutting etc. I have a very small area, so no space for a bigger frame in the house, so something that can be adapted might be good. I tried to find reviews or users of this, but didn't see anything and the Bradley Quilt Co website hasn't been updated in a while with accurate show info.

I liked the idea of a Handiquilter II which I think Linda OH uses but those aren't made any more.

Any info or ideas for frames that don't take up much room or are easy to take down?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultra Quilter at Sewing machines plus

Comments (10)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I've never heard of this brand, but I can give you feedback on the HQII if you want. You could probably find one for sale on Craigslist or some such place.

Donna

• new2quilting
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna, I would like to hear your opinion of HQII as well. Thanks. I had another friend who had used that and liked it.

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

I have the Quilt Easy 3 but it isn't made any more either. This picture shows it with a backing loaded on it. It has been a great frame since I bought it in 2004. Today I am loading quilt number 159.
    LindaOH

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I had my HQII set up at 10' long, and there was quite a bit of bounce in the poles. It came with segmented poles, though, so it would have been easy to reset it to a narrower width.

I liked it fine. It was a good frame for a 9" machine like my Juki. The clamps held it in place very well. When I got it I also got a set of Handi Handles with it (another company out of business). They mounted right on the carriage and it was easy to handle.

So...I didn't like the give in the poles, but a shorter length would have helped. I did really like having the handles mounted on the carriage! I'm short and that allowed me to keep my arms down when moving the machine. The handles I have now on my Hinterberg frame are on top of the machine like Linda's so I have to hold my hands up almost shoulder height.

Donna

• new2quilting
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your info and opinions. I really hate pinning and would love to even just set up for quilting for a weekend and get a couple loaded and done. I have some UFOs that are ready!

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Have you looked into the possibility of renting time on a longarm at a quilt shop? I've never done it but I know there are several shops in my area that rent time on their machines.

Donna

• new2quilting
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I have rented a long arm before and had a nice experience. I took the class and then went and did a few tops a few years ago. The shop I used to do it has closed (and it was almost an hour's drive). Two other shops have it but they are also an hour's drive, and it just doesn't work in to my schedule these days. It was fun to learn and each shop has different types of long arms, one has programed designs, others you do yourself. I work odd hours, so it would be nice to be able to just quilt on my schedule.

It seems the quilt shows have plenty of long arm classes and trying to sell a $5,000 - $10,000+ machine. But they really don't seem to tap into the home quilter who wants something more than just a machine with pinning the quilt. Or there will be systems like Handiquilter II that people buy and like and they stop making them, so maybe there's not much of a market!

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I work full time so I understand about needing to quilt on your own schedule!

I currently have an original Hinterberg frame. I just checked on their website and they sell them for $650, so that's at least one option still available to home hobby quilters.

There's also a company called New Joy who sells a frame designed for a 9" machine.

• new2quilting
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't heard of New Joy, I will look into it. Thanks, Donna for the info. I have a very small space, so something that can multi-task, not take up too much room, or break down fast is about the only way I can bring it in the house, not too much to ask, right LOL.

• joeybear30
    11 years ago

Does anyone know of quilting shops in Melbourne where you can rent time on their machine. I haven't been able to find one that advertises. I haven't the room to put a machine of my own, and it's so expensive to send out quilts when you have a few finished.