Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20014168

January - February 2011 Applique/Paper Piece Lotto

User
13 years ago

For January & February, the lotto will again offer the option of doing either applique or paper pieced blocks OR both! You may enter up to 4 blocks in any combination. The link to a picture accompanies this message. The following messages will be links to the patterns.

I'm really hoping you'll enjoy these blocks and that the colors will brighten your winter days. We could call the combination Moonlight & Starshine, or Starlight & Moonshine, but it's not about white lightning! It's that very old applique pattern, Moon Over the Mountain, and a paper pieced pattern called Five Point Star.

NOTE: On my printer I needed to re-set the page layout to 100% in order to get the paper pieced templates to print at the accurate size. Double check your sizing reference on the pattern after you print it!

I made both of these blocks last evening, so I can assure you that the paper pieced pattern is not a difficult one. In fact, there's only ONE place where seams even meet!

Moon over the Mountain is a 12” block. For colors, let’s remember that this is a nighttime scene. Any color that a mountain would appear at night, silhouetted against the moon is an acceptable color. This would cover most greys, dark blues to purples, browns or tonals & batiks combining these colors. Autumn or spring colors wouldn’t show up at night, so let’s steer clear of greens, rusts and other similar warm tones.

The background of the block is a night sky. This can include most shades of medium to dark blues, purples and greys, and could include tonals, batiks or even small prints such as stars on navy or clouds if not too white.

For the moon: any tone you’d expect to see the moon, EXCEPT white. Medium to deep yellow, gold, goldish orange, and tonals or batiks combining these would work. Some might even lean toward the peach we sometimes see in the moon in autumn.

Note on the directions on Quilter’s Cache: The pattern includes using interfacing sewn to the “moon” circle and then turned. If you prefer to hand turn applique or fuse and then stitch, those methods are also acceptable. Also, feel free to use decorative stitching on the applique, if you choose. This is a “Be creative” lotto!

Five Pointed Star is an 8” block. So what in the world did I have in mind putting these two together???

For color, let’s make all of our star blocks with a white (or WOW) background. There are 5 points on the star, but when you look at the pattern, there are 4 actual color fields. For those 4 fields, use any of the colors listed for any part of Moon over the Mountain block above, in any combination. Your star can be all one color, 4 colors, or anything in between. For this lotto, you'll need to remove your paper foundations in order to complete the block.

When you’ve finished your 8” star block, then add a 2” (finished size, so cut it 2-1/2”) border to your block using any color listed in Moon over the Mountain. Or use multiple borders, as long as the final, unfinished size of your block is a 12-1/2” square. If you’d like, you can even make the corners of your border different from the sides. You can miter the corners, or not, as you prefer. If you want to work that tiny, feel free to do a four-patch, a nine-patch or pieced star in the corner. You might want to put a little star applique in the corner. Whatever goes with your block! JUST HAVE FUN!!!

For those who are new to our lotto, here are the general guidelines to follow unless directions in a specific month contradict them:

Applique:

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once. Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. Also, please follow common lotto and block swap rules in regards to fur free, smoke and scent free 100% quilting cotton to be used. Please include one dollar (or e-mail me for alternatives) to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

You may use any SEWABLE fusible of your choice (Cathy recommends Heat and Bond Lite) to secure your pieces. Any style/type of applique will be acceptable, BUT ALL MUST INCLUDE STITCHING TO SECURELY COVER THE RAW EDGES OF YOUR PATCHES! (In other words, no fusible ONLY applique!)

You will have 2 months to work on your blocks. They must be received by the moderator by the last day of the 2nd month.

The winner will be chosen on the first of the month following the lotto’s 2 month work period.

Paper Pieced:

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. Please include one dollar (or e-mail me for alternatives) to cover postage for sending on to the winner. Let's follow common lotto and block swap rules in regards to fur free, smoke and scent free 100% quilting cotton to be used.

Double check measurements to verify that your printer sized the pattern accurately.

For very small pieces, trim seams to 1/8”.

Please do not remove paper foundations.

You will have 2 months to work on your blocks. They must be received by the moderator by the last day of the 2nd month. The winner will be chosen on the first of the month following the lotto’s 2 month work period.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Jan/Feb blocks

Comments (12)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's the link to the applique pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moon Over the Mountain

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the link to the paper pieced pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Five Pointed Star

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know why there are symbols where I was typing in the original entry. So I'll write out the critical information:

Moon over the Mountain is a twelve and a half inch unfinished size block.

Five Pointed Star is an eight and a half inch unfinished size block with a two inch border. It should also finish at twelve and a half inches when you have completed your project.

I think the rest of the symbols in the original message replace apostrophes, but I'm not really sure, because it's not how I wrote it!

• tdsully
    13 years ago

These do look easier than the last lotto. I made a tablerunner with those blocks and posted a picture on that thread. I will make at least one of each of these. Tara

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't forget we have this lotto going on, too! It's open until the end of February! Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumping to Page 1.

Open for another month and these blocks don't take a lot of time!

Let's get some more participation!!

Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another bump!

Please, please, please...
    let me know what the problem is with this lotto. Choose 1 or add comment:

1. I don't like applique and/or paper piece
    2. I like them but don't have time right now.
    3. I like them but won't EVER have time for this project.
    4. I don't like the patterns chosen.
    5. I don't like the fabric color choices.

I really need some feedback because of low participation. If there is no interest at all, we'll cancel it. If this is a temporary slow down, I'd be glad to keep posting/moderating them.

Kay

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I love this lotto, but just have my hands full right now. I hope to contribute to the next one.

Robbi

• calliope
    13 years ago

I'm super time crunched now and having to push just to participate in the Monthly lotto. I do not do applique and don't think I'll ever get into it. I do paper piecing and would participate in that and have in the past. I may yet get in for February's if I can fit it in and send it off when I send in the regular February lotto blocks. Just the timing.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

#4 - don't like the patterns chosen -- sorry --too cutesy for me, but great for children.
    I also do not have the time right now, but if I loved the PP pattern & fabric choice, I would try really hard to find a way.
    In general, my participation in the Lottos is down-time is an issue....but I think you are doing a great job Kay.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comments.

As for pattern choices... my goodness they're difficult!

One pp that I chose that I thought would be simple, turned out to be a nightmare to make (my apologies!).

I would love to choose more complex/adult/mature patterns, but I worry about whether they would scare away beginner level quilters.

Another problem I'm running into is that there are a lot fewer non-juvenile themed patterns in pp that are on free sites. And many of the applique patterns seem awfully time consuming for a lotto, though I love them.... such as floral wreath patterns.

The last couple of lottos, I've tried having pp and applique in the same month so that quilters who enjoy one technique, but not the other, don't need to sit out a cycle. And it's very difficult finding TWO patterns, one pp & one applique (in the same or similar sizes) that will go together in the same project.

I'll try a couple of more lotto cycles, but would definitely welcome suggestions of pattern/fabric combinations that fit the criteria I'm trying to meet each month.

Thanks, Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There were no entries in this lotto.

The link to the patterns for the next (April/May) applique/paper pieced lotto is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: April-May Applique & Paper Piece Lotto

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus