Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maetrand

looking for the name of a quilt block

Freda
10 years ago

I'm the poster who was making a quilt out of baby pajamas. Its not finished yet but finally have everything I need so that I can quilt it.
My DIL picked a block for the quilt for my other granddaughter and I can't find the name of it online so I can figure out the size of the blocks and strips. The block consist of a large block in the center and small blocks on each corner with a rectangle between the corner blocks.

Comments (15)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

A block called Puss in the Corner looks like what you are describing, but you can draw it any size you like. Just decide the size of your center square then decide what proportion you like for the outer parts.

For instance, you could have a 4" center square with 2" squares in the corners. The rectangles would finish at 2" X 4". To make it, you'd cut the center square 4-1/2", four corner squares at 2-1/2" and four rectangles at 2-1/2" X 4-1/2". Your block will finish at 8" in the quilt.

If you want a narrower outer border you could use 1" or 1-1/2" instead of 2".

Donna

• meldy_nva
    10 years ago

And just to mention the obvious: use graph paper to draw your pattern. I like 1/4" graph paper (four of the little squares equals 1 inch) for both pattern designs and templates; 10-to-the-inch for layouts, color balancing, and checking the math (especially for mirror-image patterns) for yardage needed. There's something about seeing each pattern piece placed in a neat column that helps remind me to count mirror-images separately.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

www.quilterscache.com is a great place to search for blocks... You're looking for a 9 patch block variation. I think you can search by category on that site, so that should help you out.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Hole in the barn door is a little more elaborate than what you describe, but very easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: quilters cache

• Freda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I've checked out what everybody has posted. I will try to post a picture of the quilt that my Dil has chosen. I may have to wait until I get back in January from my trip. Having problem with my Ipad and right now I'm using Dil's laptop.

• Freda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the Quilt I am planning on making. don't know where I got this picture. This is the first posting a picture from ipad so hoping this works

• nannykins
    10 years ago

To me, that looks like a block, probably a charm-size, with sashing and cornerstones. And as others have suggested, it should be fairly easy to draw out and decide on your personal sizes.
    Good luck
    Theresa

• lola99
    10 years ago

If you need detailed directions on how to attach sashing and cornerstones, there are a lot of tutorials out there. Just do a google search for "quilt block with sashing and cornerstone" and take a look at a few of them. There are different methods. Below I linked to just one of them that looked pretty good (you would want to use smaller squares and sashing than what she is using in this video, but the process is the same). Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: video on sashing strips and cornerstones

• Freda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I am thinking of 4" block and 2" corner blocks plus seam allowance. I was hoping to find directions on how to sew it all together . I did find how to sew the blocks together, but trying to figure the best way to sew the 4" square and sashing that is between each row of blocks.

• Freda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks I.ll check that out. I must have posted about the same time because I didn't see the last posting until after I had posted.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Maet, just think about sewing four pieces together at a time. You'd have a 4 1/2" square, 2 1/2" square (cornerstone) and two rectangles 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" (sashing). Together, these would make your 'block'. After you get all your blocks together, then you start sewing four of those into units, then sew the units together, going until the entire top is one unit. [Sewing into 'blocks' and then 'units' is much easier and more accurate than sewing into rows, and sewing rows to rows, etc.]

To keep this all in order, it'd be best to lay everything out until you find it pleasing, and then pull the first 'block' pieces, sew them together, and put them back in place. Keep going with only 4 pieces at a time so everything stays in order. At some point, along two of the quilt's edges, you'll have sashings & cornerstones that won't attach to their own block, but you'll have to add them as a last row.

Hope that all makes sense. If not, please ask and I'll try to draw a picture for you....

Jennifer

• Freda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I knew I could depend on the ladies on this site to help me figure this out.
    Jennifer, that is exactly what I was trying to figure out . I'm going to go ahead and purchase what I need for the quilt to take back with me and tell my dil that I am going to go ahead and make this quilt. She wants some of her oldest daughters clothes put in this quilt as well.
    I'll probably be back for more advice once I get everytihng cut out.
    I really appreciate all your help.

Maet

• day2day
    10 years ago

Maet, I like this tutorial for adding sashings.
    Hope it is some help to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: sashing tutorial

This post was edited by day2day on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 8:02

• Freda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks daytoday, perfect, looks like I have everything I need to know about putting the quilt together. I have all the replies from this posting saved.

• day2day
    10 years ago

You're welcome.

Looks like the tute I linked will be good for doing your whole quilt as you are using just a fabric piece for the 'block'.

Good Luck. Keep us updated on your progress.

~Geraldine

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer