Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

2013 Quilting Resolutions

dan_the_mailman
11 years ago

Now that it's almost New Year's Eve, is anyone out there making a resolution or two about their quilting habit/addiction? Here are mine...

I'm resolving to finish 3 quilts in 2013.

Also, I'm resolving to dive into my stash and use it for at least 50% of my sewing this coming year, old or new projects. In fact, I'll be participating in the Merry Mayhem Mystery Quilt, and all the fabric for that one will be coming out of my stash!

Finally, I'm resolving to enjoy the birthday block exchange, even if the new blocks I'm trying drive me crazy... lol!

So, what are you resolving to do in the next 12 months???

Comments (28)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I have a king size top called Ode to the Blue and Grey that was a 2011 BOM. My resolution is to get it quilted and fnished in 2013!

Donna

• jackier123
    11 years ago

My resolution is that 2013 is the year of quilting for me. For the past several years I have made one gift after another. I am currently working on a quilt for my nephew's wedding, but after that, it is all projects for me!

Jackie

• calliope
    11 years ago

I can feel my wool quilt stirring............it hasn't quite taken shape in my mind's eye yet, but it's comeing to a head like a big zit.

• themommy1
    11 years ago

I am going to dive in and get over my fear of one forth inch seams, and try to sew one of the quilt kits I have had for three or four years. I also am going to learn how to use the serger that I got for Christmas.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Good for you, Jackie! I've been doing that, too. :)

Donna

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I'm with you Jackie. I'm determined to make one for myself with all those very special pieces of fabrics I've gathered. But, I'll finish up a few UFOs first. I'm looking forward to a week to myself starting the 8th with no one to cook for and all the time I want to take. That will start my year off right.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I have one in the planning stage for my newest grandson to be born in April. Then I hope to work on one that I have gathered some special 10" blocks for my self.
    I would also like to birth an idea for my "youngest" daughter's 60th birthday quilt in 2014.lol

• bev2009
    11 years ago

#1 Resolution: Try to get ahead on quilts so I don't feel so much pressure.

So I am going to start 10 children's home quilts now and not wait until the last minute in the fall. (I'm planning on having a couple of all-day Saturdays and seeing how many friends I can get to help.)

And I want to make lap quilts for the local nursing home for Christmas now, as I didn't get any made this year, in spite of my good intentions.

#2 Get my sewing area set up better...buy a mini iron and make a mini board next to machine so I don't have to keep standing up while piecing.

#3 Browse quilting magazines at the library once in a while for fun

• grammyp
    11 years ago

I'm with Bev2009, I have to get my room set up better. DH has agreed to help even though he knows what all it will involve.

I'm also going to finish the quilt I have started for my bed.

I have 3 I have agreed to make before Christmas next year. So need to get them going, too.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I have a quilting mission for 2013.....I just don't know what it is yet. It'll come to me in time.....for sure I want to make a QOV and finish more of my UFO's.

SharonG/FL

• jackier123
    11 years ago

Oh Oh Oh I forgot that I resolve to go the the Retreat again this year and work on something fun!

Jackie

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds like we're all off to a great start! Here's a thought...how about we check back in on this thread from time to time to see how we're doing on our resolutions and encourage one another?

Bev, I've got a mini ironing board and was still standing up, so I went out and bought myself a full-sized ironing board. Would you believe I can sit down comfortably at that full-sized board, and get my ironing done? I don't know how tall or short you are, but if it's not comfortable, you could always sit on a couple of cushions or pillows, right? Lol, try it out!

Have a safe and sane New Year's Eve everyone! I'm going to go do some reading, and then it's bedtime for me, whether it's 2012 still or 2013. I'm planning on a breakfast of steak, eggs, mushrooms, and yes, champagne! Then I've got to start cutting fabric for the merry mayhem mystery quilt...lol! Second year in a row for that, could I be making a new tradition for myself??? We'll see...lol!

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I only have one UFO which is exactly my style, and this is only because I miss-counted how many blocks I needed for the last quilt. So I have a completely clean slate and 3 brand-new cuts of fabric from Christmas gift certificate. I was looking at some Mariner's Compass designs but didn't make a resolution about them, I'm not that dim-witted.

• anitastitch
    11 years ago

I have 3 quilts to finish and 2 purses to make (I have the patterns and fabric--all I need to do is cut and sew). But I'm really hoping to just start making better use of my time. I'll check in in a few months and let you know how it's going.
    Best of luck to you all on your resolutions!

• susan_on
    11 years ago

I haven't been posting, but I read the posts every day. I have a new passion for machine embroidery, and I've been happily ensconced in the sewing room working on gifts since mid November. Now that my skills are improving, I'm going to work on some more ambitious embroidery projects for the next two weeks, and then I am going to do some small sewing projects. After that, I have plans to make lap quilts from my stash for my niece and nephew for next Christmas. Once the weather gets nice.. I stay outside working on the garden, so I need to be productive now!

I want to say that I appreciate all the inspiration on this site, and the encouragement that the members give each other, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone accomplishes this year!

• fran1523
    11 years ago

My resolution is to change my rotary blade and sewing machine needle when needed and not put it off. Ask me why this has become so important to me.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rita, I've been looking at those mariners compass quilters since last summer. I want to make one, but like you, I'm not committing just yet. I think I'm putting that one in the BONUS column this year...lol!

Yesterday I thought I'd almost finished the mystery quilt, but discovered I hadn't cut enough fabric to finish the darn thing. So, feeling a little frustrated with it (and all the help I was getting from my youngest kitten Grumpy) I cut what I'll need to finish it and put it away until this weekend. Sometimes you just have to take a breather, right? I did get my strip sets cut for my sister Lisa's lonestar quilt, so that was a bonus. Tonight it's just relaxation in front of the pc and tv screens, then tomorrow night I'm hoping to do some cutting for a card tricks block for the birthday exchange. Finishing that will be the first thing on my agenda Sunday if I haven't already finished it.

Peace and happy sewing!
    Dan

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I'm so impressed with everyone for making new year quilting resolutions...ya'll rock!!! I'm inspired to make a resolution.. but like Sharon, I need to think on it for awhile.

Fran1523: I bite, why is it so important for you to change the blade and needle???

V.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

I've been struggling through one of those sew, mark a grid, cut and resew quilts that has several seams with at least four layers of fabric. I've done it with an old blade and a used needle and wonder why the needle balks at the seams and I have to saw away with the rotary cutter. Fortunately there were no injuries but a lot of "not so nice" language used. New tools changed everything. I'm sure they help with regular seas and sewing too.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

That's a good resolution, Fran! Blades and needles are relatively inexpensive investments when you measure them against badly cut fabric, extra time spent cutting over and over, and just general frustration. :)

Donna

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I started an embroidery business a few months ago, so I'd really like to get that going this year so I can cut back the hours at my "paying job". More time in front of my sewing machine is always good :-)

I'm getting ready to start month 18 of 24 months in my Dear Jane, so I should be able get the top finished this year.

I also have 3 blocks of my Baltimore Album to finish before the retreat this fall.

And I'd like to finish my Stitcher's Garden quilt that I am very close to finishing. I have a friend that is going to sandwich and quilt it. I just need to get the top done. I think I'm on month 8 of 12 on that one.

I like the idea of checking back in. I think that will help hold us accountable?!!

Robbi

• Jane_VA
    11 years ago

I am a new member and have enjoyed reading your resolutions. Mine is to finish hand quilting my son's Marine Corps retirement quilt by June. I have been working on it since February 2011.

Jane_VA

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

My number one resolution is to make those Christmas quilts in JANUARY instead of waiting until November to start and find that I have no time to get any quilting done. So my first project for the new year is the snow globe quilt. I have ALL the fabric and don't even need to go to the store to get going. Now to just "get it done"!
    Happy New Year to all of you.
    And I like the idea of re-visiting this thread, so we can keep on track.
    I will do a little research and if I can figure out how to post a picture, I will. Made a placemat for my DGD with four of the blocks.
    Murphy

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I finished piecing the postage stamp top today, well on my way to finish this one for sure (unless the crick rises).

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Jane, that is a beautiful quilt for your Marine son and the quilting is phenomenal! Would love to see a close-up!

Congrats from another newbie!

MLinda

• Birdi
    11 years ago

I am also a newbie to this site. Love the quilt, Jane. My resolution is to get my projects finished before I pack up the machine in July. It didn't quite work last year, but I will try again.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Robbi, I also think checking back in will give us all an incentive to work on some of our 2013 goals. One of my goals this year was to finish cleaning up UFO lain away in my stash bins. So far in January, I took two large sections of a pattern I can only say about "what was I thinking?" and backed it to make an easily washable and drying bath mat. I am glad I had enough sense not to try to finish a pattern I didn't like. And to be able to salvage the effort already put into it. It actually looks pretty merry and bright in the bath. Yesterday I finished off a crib-sized quilt. And my first project, although not a quilting project was a fabric creation.......a new floor cloth. Today I am cutting out and starting a quilted handbag to replace good old faithful Vera Bradley purse. I'll post the little quilt pic later, here is the floor cloth.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Robbi...That's an exciting step you are taking, but from the handiwork I saw of yours at the retreat, I'm in your corner for success!

Rita...will you be posting your postage stamp quilt...I'd love to see it, but I get it if you don't....the loss is ours and the garden forum.

Jane_VA and Birdi...Welcome to the forum! I joined a year ago and have learned much from this great group. Jane...your son's quilt is spectacular.

Calliope...That floor cloth is beautiful! Excuse my ignorance, but do you really use it on floor? It's just too darn pretty to place those morning glories on the floor, although it would make your toes happy in the morning!

As for a new years resolution...still not made one for quilting, but I'm getting closer ...that counts in my book:-)
    V.