Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanajayne

Owl's: Not my favorite way to go

nanajayne
10 years ago

DGD ask me to make an Owl quilt for a friend who will have a baby early next year. She saw an idea and wondered if I could do something like it. He brother designed the owl for me and she chose 30's fabric for them. I did the rest. I don't rate it very high on my list of accomplishments but I did use just fabric from my stash so that counts for something..

Comments (21)

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have difficulty posing second pic.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

That is really cute!
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Jayne, I think you did a wonderful job of putting the owls together! They should be very happy with it! What technique did you use?

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Are you kidding? Totally funky and adorable. My daughter loves owls and would love this quilt.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

It's adorable. Great use of fabric and so one of a kind. How fun with the owl design involving family too.
    LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

It's adorable. Great use of fabric and so one of a kind. How fun with the owl design involving family too.
    LindaB/CA

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Wonderful job. They are adorable. I also love the sashing material. I'm sure that they will treasure it.

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sure hope they like as it isn't one of my favorite.
    My GS drew a 5 " owl which I enlarged on the computer, then I cut it apart making templates of the eyes, stomach and feet. I fused appliqued, cutting out the fuse in the centers. I then did a narrow satin st. around the parts. As he had drawn a feather like design on the stomach I use that idea to quilt the owl down and put a star st. in the eyes.
    I also used fabric paint to highlight the eyes. Did a terrible job of stippling but probably only I will care. lol
    The sashing fabric was a left over strip that I used on the Very Hungry Caterpillar quilt I made a while back. I felt that help to bring it together because of all the different colors. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

• day2day
    10 years ago

That is so cute. They will love it.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• chickie1
    10 years ago

Its so cute. You did a great job.
    Darlene

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

You did a fabulous job!! Very creative and alot of work! I understand how you could get tired of the Owls, but each Owl has its own personality! I wondered how you made the eyes. I love it!!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Jayne, the fact that you didn't particularly enjoy the results doesn't show at all. It's very cute and very well done. It is a lot more enjoyable working on something that you love though. Kudos to you for making what they wanted. And I think your choice of sashing was perfect.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Awe it's cute! I like the pink owl best. Congrats on finishing it and for working from your stash.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I made the eyes by cutting holes in the 2 eye templates and allowed the background to show. I did the white freehand with fabric paint and did machine star in the center of lg. white dots.
    This is the picture my gs drew.

• caroline94535
    10 years ago

Your quilt, and his drawing, are wonderful!

If it were me, I'd frame the owl drawing, using a couple wide mats, and hang it in the baby's room, too.

My husband and I were both amazed at his drawing and your translation of it into fabric.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

LOL! I just love it to bits. My first thought was "OMG thats great!" The colors, the scrappy, the owls! The details may bug you, but the big picture impression is just delightful. I'm sure the kids will love it and I agree that picture should be framed to go along with the quilt.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

WOW...You did an awesome job of those owls....really impressive! Thanks for sharing how you did the owl eyes, when I first looked at the quilt, I could not get over the incredible eyes...,the whole quilt is really well done!!!
    Ditto the GS picture framing idea...too cool.
    V.

• jaceysgranny
    10 years ago

It is delightful! I can't believe how their eyes sparkle and the little feet are so cute. Since you cut up the original drawing you might could get your GS draw another and they could frame it. That was a great idea!

• karpet
    10 years ago

That is absolutely darling!!

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

The quilt is great! I think you should make it into a pattern and sell it.
    I made an owl quilt for my first grandson from a purchased pattern. Love your design!
    Linda OH

• polardream
    10 years ago

Sorry you don't like this quilt - I think it is really darling and you did such a good job. You are so creative!

Sue

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator