Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

I need an idea for a $10 quilting gift

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

Our quilt group has a Christmas party every year and we exchange a gift of about $10 that is related to sewing and quilting. I have run out of ideas for something different. Fat quarters, a hand binding kit, note cards, are just some of the items I have given in the past.
I don't know who will receive my gift because we do the pick a wrapped or unwrapped gift.
Any suggestions for something different to give this year?
TIA
Linda OH

Comments (11)

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

My cousin's wife gave me a cellphone/scissors charm that I attached to my stork scissors. I never seem to lose them anymore because the little charm is always peeking out from under things.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I like that idea!

• pumkingal
    11 years ago

I am making this year quilted place mats,and quilted pot holders, if this is any help,

• polardream
    11 years ago

bobbin saver rings - about $7.50
    flower head pins - between $7-10 (great because they lay flat)
    quilting safety pins
    6 x 6 quilting ruler

For what it's worth, these are just a few things I appreciate having more of!

Sue

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I like the bobbin saver ring and the scissors charm ideas. I will have to look for them. The party is Dec. 13
    Thanks
    Linda OH

• new2quilting
    11 years ago

A few more ideas:

Charm packs are around that price these days as well. They can be fun to play with.

Quilt magazines, holiday sewing/quilting magazine, or quilt pattern

Wavy rotary cutter blade (or two), great for pinked edges

Quilting novels

Small Mettler thread spools are around $2.50-$3, I use a lot of different colors for machine applique and like to have an assortment. Same for small spools of machine quilting thread, it's nice to have an assortment to match binding and not have to buy a whole spool.

Other "novelty thread" like glow in the dark or invisible that you might not buy for yourself but always wanted to try.

Add-a quarter ruler and print off some paper piecing patterns and instructions to try.

Pin cushion kit with wool felt and embroidery floss

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I'm making Toolgranny's ornaments for my friends...they'll each get one.

Why not make a set of 4? I found the ornaments at Hobby Lobby and they were about $6 (not on sale)...plus fabric...about right.

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

I was in Hancocks fabric store yesterday and they had a new Ott light on sale for 9.99. Usual cost $19.99 but they had on sale for 50% off, otherwise you could use a coupon.....a good deal. It is pretty small and has a clip on the back, flip open top, and runs on 3 AAA batteries. The light is incredibly bright and would be good for hand stitching type work, knitting, or anything you do that needs a bright light. The lady in the store suggested using it in your handbag so you can see what is in it. My bag isn't that big but I can see if you are in the dark and need something in a tote bag....anyway I bought it basically for my Kindle and it works great. Also got one for my Mom's stocking.
    Anyway, a new and different idea for a $10 gift.
    Here is a link to the mini lite.
    Murphy

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ottlite.com/p-280-led-mini-flip-lite.aspx

• patti60
    11 years ago

one year i gave my friends a pair of snips to use. i use mine all the time to cut thread while i sew.one of our quilt shops is really good at having cute items to be used as well.

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the great ideas. I will keep them in mind for next year. I went to the LQS this week and found this Pickles panel and a craft bag. I'm thinking the panel could be cut up and used in a tote bag. How would you use it?
    Linda OH

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Oh, Linda, I love the PIckles panel. I always read this comic and have a couple of quilting themed strips that I've saved. I think it would be great for a bag. I'm going to look to see if I can find it on-line anywhere!
    I don't know if you're located near a border city or not, but I got a great quilt book at Great Canadian Dollar Store for just 9.99
    I've included a link from Amazon that shows the book. I got one for a gift and then went back and got another for myself. There are several quilts in it I want to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilt Book

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH