Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20014168

January 2011 Monthly Block Lotto

User
13 years ago

The block for this month is called "On the Oregon Trail", and was chosen by polardream. The colors for this month's block are blue and yellow, with colors 1 & 2 being blue, and the color 3 background yellow.

The pattern is located on quilterscache.com. The link to the pattern is below this message. Another message will follow with a link to the Google docs pages and a photo of this month's sample block.

Here's how the monthly lotto works...

One to two weeks prior to the first of the lotto month, the block pattern and colors are posted on the forum.

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. (A return address label inside or on the outside of baggie works well too.)

Please include one dollar (this covers all blocks sent, NOT $1/block) to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time, have fun, and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

Please note the following guidelines:

Use 100% QUILTING cotton and please - no fur, smoke or fragrances.

Selvage edges should be trimmed off before cutting for blocks and all seams should be 1/4 inch.

Your finished block should be squared up to be no less than 1/4 inch smaller nor 1/4 inch larger than the stated (unfinished) size for the month.

Blocks need to reach the lotto coordinator no later than the last day of the month.

The winner will be drawn that evening or on the first day of the following month and posted on the forum.

The winner may choose a block and/or colors for a future lotto that will be added to the list. If the winner opts to choose a block, a sample block must be received by the moderator by the end of the month prior to the posting date. For example, if you're choosing the March block, a sample must be received by the end of January. There is usually about a 3-4 month lead time between winning and the month's pattern posting, so you have lots of time to explore patterns and dream up color combinations!

Coordinator's Address:

Kay Barkdoll

12026 Punch Bowl Rd

Mercersburg, PA 17236

Here is a link that might be useful: On the Oregon Trail Pattern

Comments (40)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a link to the Google Docs page with a photo of this month's pattern block. The photo page also contains a link to the Directory of Pages. Enjoy exploring them!

Here is a link that might be useful: On the Oregon Trail Photo

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    count me in for 3.
    thanks
    michelle

• polardream
    13 years ago

I will shoot for 3 (since I picked it!)

Sue/polardream

• carolnv
    13 years ago

Put me down for 1, but I try to do 3!
    Carol

• calliope
    13 years ago

I went through my stash to see if I had suitable fabric and I do. Put me down for one for now and I may do more if time/fabric allow. Nice choice and it should be lovely as a quilt.

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

yay I'm done
    this one was fun.
    I'll get them in the mail soon
    michelle

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So here we are... has everyone recovered from the holidays yet?

For our January block, we now have:

micryrey: 3
    polardream: 3
    carolnv: 1, but may try for 3
    calliope: 1
    kay: 1 done, hope to have time for 2 more, not sure

So our count is 9, but maybe more.

This is such a pretty color combination!

Kay

• polardream
    13 years ago

I'm mailing my 3 today.
    Sue/polardream

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    we got snowed in a bit today, snow day for the kids and they were being very good so I started on feb and march. I got 3 done for feb and if the boys keep being good this afternoon I will have 3 done for march. I'm hopping to get the water wheel blocks I won last may worked up soon. I'm gonna lay the blocks out and look at them for a few days to come up with a plane for them.
    michelle

• paulah_gardener
    13 years ago

I will send 2. this block is fun to make and pretty when it's done. Paula

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michelle & Sue, your blocks arrived today. Opening them and seeing those lovely colors was like a breath of springtime!

Kay

• calliope
    13 years ago

I finished mine tonight and shall get it posted directly. I was amazed at how striking the blue and yellow turned out. Gonna be a gorgeous quilt for somebody. I will only be doing one this time.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I bought some fabric on Saturday and have them all cut out and ready to sew. So, count me in for 2 blocks. This next week is sooo busy, so I hope these go together quickly.

Robbi

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So here's our tally so far!

micryrey: 3, received
    polardream: 3, received
    carolnv: 1, but may try for 3
    calliope: 1
    kay: 1
    paulah_gardener: 2
    lafonda_ranch: 2

That's 13 beautiful springtime blocks! And there's still time for more quilters to join in!

Kay

• calliope
    13 years ago

We have a winter advisory starting, so I hurried out to the post office this a.m. and mailed two blocks. I can't believe how gorgeous those blues are against the yellow. I struggled with these blocks, as I usually do when a bunch of little pieces are involved but it was worth the effort. Now I'd like to make this quilt. LOL.

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

I'd like to do three, but can I use the same yellow for all 3 backgrounds? Or would it be not scrappy enough?

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I used the same yellow just diffrent blues, I think, but I think it is ok
    michelle

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

I'd like to do three, but can I use the same yellow for all 3 backgrounds? Or would it be not scrappy enough?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I didn't get to you yesterday, we spent the whole day going to pick up another rescue horse. It was pretty late when we finally got him settled in the barn!

Since we don't do the kind of swap where we all pitch in and get the same fabric, I think all of our lotto blocks are going to be scrappy to an extent. And your same 3 yellows will be scattered among everyone else's yellows and blue combos, etc.

I think the occasional repeated fabric helps to tie the "scrappiness" together. I haven't seen any set of blocks come through that didn't end up just plain charming & delightful, whether certain colors are repeated or not!

Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Calliope, your blocks arrived safely in yesterday's mail. Oh, how I do like this pattern!

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I have my blocks done and packaged up to put in the mail today!

I do have one question for everyone. The little triangle that are cut off, do most of you keep them for scraps? I'm just starting my scrap stash and wondering if these are useful pieces or are they too small?

BTW, I loved how this block went together. Very nice!

Robbi

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    robbi - I dont keep anything in my scrap stash(witch is getting kinda big) smaller that 2 inches roughly. but I know some people use crimbs(tiney pieces) I just dont have the intrest in crumbs.
    michelle

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whenever I sew triangles out of squares, I run a stitch line back up the other side of the diagonal, leaving about an 1/8" seam allowance. Then for every triangle I make, I get one in the same colors, just smaller. This also works on the ends of strips for 4 patches or the triple strips for 9 patches.

I'm stacking them all in a plastic drawer after I press them open. I just started this 3 or 4 months ago, and it's amazing how many "mini patches" I have already. I'm thinking along the lines of using them either for mini-quilts, or just doing a big jigsaw quilt, depending on how quickly they accumulate.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Thanks guys!! I guess I'll keep them a while and see. I like the idea of going ahead and stitching them, especially if I win this lotto! They could be part of a thin border maybe?

Robbi

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Heck, you might even get enough for a sawtooth border, if you're that ambitious!

It was just really starting to bother me not using those pieces that were matched in size for something. I do the same with the flying geese triangles, too... those "ears" you cut off putting squares on the corners of rectangles. Even the small ones I go ahead and sew back along the diagonal (after I check that it's the right size). On a lot of patterns, it feels that if you don't save these pieces, you're throwing away half your fabric! That's doubling the price of what you bought.

Thinking like a depression kid now (even though I'm one generation from that)... must save in case I need them later in life!

Kay

• carolnv
    13 years ago

Kay - I have to apologize, but I won't be sending in a block this month. I tried and can't seem to get the little square sewn on to the blue rectangle correctly. One side looks great, but when I do the other side it comes out uneven. I cut enough to make 3 blocks and I'm so frustrated that I can't even make this one sewing step right. Any ideas? (not that it'll help for this lotto, but maybe for a future one). Thanks. Carol

• paulah_gardener
    13 years ago

I mailed 3 blocks early today. They should arrive in time. Paula

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for the delay in answering, Carol, I've been laid up with a bug for the past week.

The first few times I tried to use this technique, I kept sewing one square on the wrong diagonal!

Anyway, several people might be having a problem with this, so I found a tutorial that shows the steps. If this doesn't help, Google "flying geese tutorial". Sometimes 2 people can be demonstrating exactly the same thing, and with one it clicks and with the other it doesn't.

Ignore the first picture, this lady is making a whole block of these. Just go to the second and look at the technique from there down the page.

Let me know if this helped.

Kay

Here is a link that might be useful: Fat Quarterly Flying Geese Tutorial

• carolnv
    13 years ago

Kay - thanks for the response and the link, it helped, kind of an ah ha moment when I say the tutorial! I'll try again (I too am under the weather). Glad you're feeling better.
    Carol

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marge & Robbi, your blocks arrived safely on Saturday.

It's almost time!!! This is such a lovely pattern & color combination.

I'll be abstaining from the drawing, so won't need help this month. I'll just put the number slips in a bowl & pick one. I'm waiting on the mail to see if any more arrive.

Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Paula, your blocks arrived in today's mail. So, everyone, there are 16 blocks in the pot!

And the winner is.. ta-da... drum roll............

micyrey!!!!

Congratulations, Michelle!

There are pictures of all the blocks linked below.

I'll get these out to you tomorrow. Your month to choose a block will be July, with sample or picture by June 1, please.

Here is a link that might be useful: January 2011 Lotto Photos

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For a preview of March's block, chosen by quiltpartner, check out the link below!

Here is a link that might be useful: March 2011 Lotto Block

• calliope
    13 years ago

Kay, am I suppose to pick out June's, as winner of last's month lotto? I already have a pattern picked out and a sample block made if so.

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

YAY. I'm so happy to win this one
    thanks everyone, they all look great. I will choose the block and color and get a sample off to you in a few weeks.
    thanks
    michelle

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, calliope, your month is June.

To keep tabs on these, there is a chart on the google docs pages. March and April are posted there. May is Buteau3rd's choice.

There are links to prior patterns & colors to make sure you're not doing a repeat.

I look forward to seeing your pattern & color pick!

Here is a link that might be useful: Winner-Chooser Chart

• carolnv
    13 years ago

Micyrey - congratulations, all the squares look great. Looking forward to seeing a finished project from you!

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Congrats! Michelle! :) Looks like you have a passle of cool blocks coming your way - they are very striking!

Kay, a BIG THANK YOU again! for all that you do! Creating all the links for photos & lists makes things so easy for all of us --- & we really appreciate it:)

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Congrats, micyrey!! That will be such a pretty quilt when you get it all put together. I love that color combination and the block went together so nicely. I still have the little "tabs". If you think you'd like to do something withe them, let me know and I'll mail them to you.

Another BIG THAMK YOU, Kay!! Awesome job!!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're welcome.. it's my pleasure! And lots of fun!

Michelle, your blocks went into the mail this morning.

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I got the blocks and they look so great together, I'll post when I decide how to put them together.
    everyone did great, the fabrics are so prity.

I will be sending in 3 blocks for feb but opting out of the drawing.

thanks
    michelle