Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody recognize this block?

Posted by pirate_girl (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 28, 11 at 18:36

Hi Folks,

Does anyone recognize this block? (Pardon me if the group shot of 4 blocks is a bit dark).

Photobucket

This is a UFO of some years which I recently rediscovered.

Here are the individual sample blocks:

Another a bit dark, sorry

Photobucket

the rest are lighter & much easier to see

Photobucket

Well, the hardwood floor provides a nice contrast anyway ;>)

Photobucket

yet another

Photobucket

I believe this was originally in Quilter's Newsletter (from which I taught myself to quilt in the mid 80s).

I've got the original block on another computer (at home), more later.

Can any of you guess what's the secret here? Will reveal it when I get home.

Happy belated Holidays everybody!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody recognize this block?

Is it the same block with different fabrics and arrangements???
Have no idea of the name of it though.
Theresa

o

I'll play. I agree with Theresa (nannykins). They are all the same block, just using the lights and darks in different configurations. Now to see if I can find the name of the block somewhere in my vast library.... I even have lots of QNM from the '80s.

o
Details & backround

Well you've got a a good eye ladies, yes, it's the same block achieved exactly as stated, by changing placement of lights, mediums & darks. Was from QNM Jan/Feb 1995, was called 'Variation on a Theme' (the quilt pictured in the Magazine was by AnneMarie Schonholzer, is 64 different variations on the block).

Goes on to say the original block is named Indianapolis, first appeared in Hearth & Home Magazine, 1916!

o

That is very cool! I think I remember seeing it, and have all of my QNM so will have to go back and hunt up that issue. DARN - another thing on my to-do wish list!
Sue

o
RE: My original block assembly

Well Sue, You don't HAVE too (lol, put it on your list).

I'm deciding for me next year will be the year of the completed UFOs (partly inspired by my local Guild challenge here), & since I have these blocks & they're small(ish, 13"), maybe I could just join the four & quilt them.

Here's the very first block of this I'd tried & I did quilt this (sorry, old pic, doesn't show it), but I echo quilted just the white areas, I thought it came out really nicely.

Photobucket

another shot

Photobucket

I hope some day to teach a class in this block, I think it would be SUPER cool, & would LOVE to see other peoples' versions of this block.

o

This is really cool ... they look like totally different blocks.

o

I took a class where we made a whole sampler quilt using only one block but mixing the colors and values. You'd never know all the blocks were same pattern till you studied it for awhile. Amazing what you can do with value.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here