Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Anybody recognize this block?

pirate_girl
12 years ago

Hi Folks,

Does anyone recognize this block? (Pardon me if the group shot of 4 blocks is a bit dark).

This is a UFO of some years which I recently rediscovered.

Here are the individual sample blocks:

Another a bit dark, sorry

the rest are lighter & much easier to see

Well, the hardwood floor provides a nice contrast anyway ;>)

yet another

I believe this was originally in Quilter's Newsletter (from which I taught myself to quilt in the mid 80s).

I've got the original block on another computer (at home), more later.

Can any of you guess what's the secret here? Will reveal it when I get home.

Happy belated Holidays everybody!!!

Comments (7)

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Is it the same block with different fabrics and arrangements???
    Have no idea of the name of it though.
    Theresa

• empress
    12 years ago

I'll play. I agree with Theresa (nannykins). They are all the same block, just using the lights and darks in different configurations. Now to see if I can find the name of the block somewhere in my vast library.... I even have lots of QNM from the '80s.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well you've got a a good eye ladies, yes, it's the same block achieved exactly as stated, by changing placement of lights, mediums & darks. Was from QNM Jan/Feb 1995, was called 'Variation on a Theme' (the quilt pictured in the Magazine was by AnneMarie Schonholzer, is 64 different variations on the block).

Goes on to say the original block is named Indianapolis, first appeared in Hearth & Home Magazine, 1916!

• polardream
    12 years ago

That is very cool! I think I remember seeing it, and have all of my QNM so will have to go back and hunt up that issue. DARN - another thing on my to-do wish list!
    Sue

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well Sue, You don't HAVE too (lol, put it on your list).

I'm deciding for me next year will be the year of the completed UFOs (partly inspired by my local Guild challenge here), & since I have these blocks & they're small(ish, 13"), maybe I could just join the four & quilt them.

Here's the very first block of this I'd tried & I did quilt this (sorry, old pic, doesn't show it), but I echo quilted just the white areas, I thought it came out really nicely.

another shot

I hope some day to teach a class in this block, I think it would be SUPER cool, & would LOVE to see other peoples' versions of this block.

• missa7
    12 years ago

This is really cool ... they look like totally different blocks.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I took a class where we made a whole sampler quilt using only one block but mixing the colors and values. You'd never know all the blocks were same pattern till you studied it for awhile. Amazing what you can do with value.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer