Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanajayne

Sylvia's Bridal Sampler

nanajayne
14 years ago

I received Sylvia's Bridal Sampler Quilt book with all the pattern's etc as a gift. I was wondering if anyone has made any of the patterns into a quilt or for that matter made the quilt? They are mostly traditional blocks but only 6" in size which would require a lot of work. Just wondering. Jayne

Comments (49)

• jennifer_in_va
    14 years ago

Linda/Toolgranny is working on it. Hers are beautiful!

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

What a nice gift. Yes, it is time consuming and I consider it a project to last a lifetime. I've made 60 blocks but keep thinking how to make it a lap quilt and be done. LOL

• User
    14 years ago

Pictures?

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

Linda,
    Those blocks you have made over time are so lovely! Maybe a nice setting for them could be found to show your skill, labor and dedication to those wonderful blocks...I'm sure it was a labor of love over a long period. They are striking!

Just my 2 cents!
    Gwen

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Here are a few of the blocks layed out. I make a few when I'm between projects and yearn to piece something. They are easier since I got a lesson in paper piecing. Most are traditional patterns just made to 6" and I bought all the fabric at once so they would match.

She has a website but no longer posts the patterns online since the book is out now. Consider it an "ongoing UFO".

• jennifer_in_va
    14 years ago

Linda,
    I just drool every time I see your blocks!!!

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Beautiful - I just googled SBS quilt pattern- oh wow! I didn't have time to read much - but oh my goodness! I am not a huge fan of samplers -today- I'm still finding my way :) actually I think I'm not a huge fan of totally scrappy samplers - yours is absolutely gorgeous - I don't view it as scrappy - correct me if I am wrong - please. I really appreciate how you laid them out on what will be the sashing and border. I need those visuals. Thank you for posting this picture. I may just start one............a real way to learn more new blocks.
    How many blocks do you think you are going to have to make?

Now I ask that someone explain the Elm Creek / novels / quilts connection to me. I have seen the Elm Creek Pattern Books at the library - never checked any out, but I'm sure I flipped thru them. I like to read, saw the other thread about the novels - are these the same?? I'm uninformed - so much so I can't even say confused on this.

Again, Thanks for posting a picture of your project - if I decide to make one, I would like to buy the fabric at one time - will you help me with selection?
    (You can say no)

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

Linda yours is beautiful!
    I'm starting to gather fabrics for one of these. My 16 year old said she wanted one for when she gets married, so I figured if I start now maybe it will be done by the time comes who knows how long from now........

Gathering fabric for quilts takes me some time. It took 6 months to get blues for my Shakespeare in the Park and 3 weeks to make it.

Vicky

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Check out the first book in the series of novels and once you read it you'll understand. It is a story of a woman who turns an old family mansion into a quilt retreat center. In her 70s, she finally marries an old friend and students send blocks for a wedding sampler. It is ten by fourteen blocks so it's 140 if you make them all. I chose not to make the three that are applique and substituted three traditional blocks in those spots. I may never get to the 140. I get tired of it and put it aside a lot.

For fabrics, choices are across the board. If you go to her website, you can look at the "gallery" and see what lots of other people have made.

http://www.sylviasbridalsampler.com/

I saw a collection of colors I liked at Connecting Threads and bought them so they'd all go together. Others use brights and buy only as they need them to get a very scrappy look which is stunning.

I am also looking at doing another applique project with small blocks (see jigsaw puzzle quilt on Nov goals post) and may move on to something indigo and white. I have the Dutch Treat book which recreates the Delft China look. But, then I always have too many projects ahead of myself. I also have the Dear Jane book but so many here are doing that one that I like to be different. DH says I'm already there.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for your explaination. I looked at her site again in a hurry and the answer didn't jump out at me.

I saw the jigsaw puzzle thread - I didn't realize it was all applique. The skill level was so over my head, I just drooled over it. Your work is beautiful.

I think being different is an asset - my family disagrees :) - but what do families know??

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda,
    Thanks so much for sharing your project. It gives me a little more enthusiasm for the book and patterns just knowing someone is doing one. You ans. one ? as to collecting the fabric. I have a collection of dark browns, creams, and aquas that I am trying to find a pattern for and have been toying with this as an idea. Maybe after the holidays I will experiment. TFS Jayne

• User
    14 years ago

It seems a few of us are interested in starting this project. Perhaps after the holidays we can ask Linda to guide a group through the process?

Whatcha think, Linda?

I have a 2 year old granddaughter that will one day get married. I think 20 years or so gives me enough time to complete this.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I took some time to look thru the gallery on the SBS and I think yours is by far going to be the prettiest! I also reserved the 1st novel at my library. Just this bit of background will make me view the Elm Creek Books differently.

I am definitely interested in starting a sampler after the holidays with a group here. On her website, there is a BOW (block of the week)- I need more time - I like dian's 20 year plan~ LOL~

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

20 year plan? - maybe I can do this after all. Just thinking about the FMQ makes me nauseous.

Website shows a list of all the blocks so you could easily pull most up on Quilters Cache and redraw them to 6". They used to have all the patterns electronically available but they don't post those patterns anymore since she wants to sell the books.

She says to change them around and insert others as you wish so there aren't really rules. Some don't use all 140.

I think the browns and aqua would be lovely. I also like the one with the black background but it's too late. I have to finish up this one before changing any colors. LOL

Glad to have any of you jump in with us.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Ohhhh yes! I really like the black background! I always gravitate toward batiks, hand dyes, brights and black.
    I think you may be a bad influence :)

• fran1523
    14 years ago

I forgot how beautiful your blocks are, plus I don't think you had all 60 of them at retreat, did you? Nice to have it to go back to when you're between projects. And if you never finish this quilt, think how much you enjoyed the process.

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

Anybody still working on, or interested in starting Sylvia's Bridal Sampler?
    We have a small offshoot group from the guild working on SBS and I went to the meeting last night. Some have over half of the blocks done and some just a few. Another lady and I are just starting out and we have both chosen purple and green for our colors. They will, of course, turn out very different. Lisa has chosen cream for her background color and will also incorporate a soft pinky brown into her color scheme. I am going to stay true to the purple and green color scheme using various values and scales of prints.
    Perhaps we can keep each other motivated in a group here?

Mary

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

All the sample blocks are beautiful. I just cannot see myself tackling such a big project. I love it but do not think I would ever finish it. Guess I am in too much of a hurry to see the final results on something.I have tons of respect for those who complete beautiful projects such as this.

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

I have started Dear Jane blocks with friends from my small quilt group. I have only made 5 blocks. I plan to make a block or two when I get bored with a larger project and want to do something else. I have a collection of brown and pink fat quarters that I am using. I bought some yardage for the background fabric.
    Linda OH

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mary,
    I am working on mine, but it is a slow process. I have over 52 blocks done so far. Some have been done 2 or 3 times without my being very pleased with the out come but have decide that not all will be prefect. I find the instructions poorly written for some of the blocks, and others just difficult to do: ex. fools puzzle, too many curves for a 2" block. My colors are basicly browns and aqua/teal with cream/tan back ground. Wish I had the support of a group to ease the pain. LOL.
    Jayne

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

Jayne
    Great job...52 done is very commendable!
    It is nice having the input from the group on where they had difficulty and yes, the concensus is that the instructions are not very clear on many of the blocks. I am just collecting up all of my fabrics and then I will start on the easier blocks and work my up to some of the more difficult. The biggest complaint from my group is the number of blocks made with curves and y-seams. A little excessive especially since the blocks finish at 6".
    We meet again on Feb 3rd so if you have any specific problems I can see if anyone has a solution.

Mary

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mary,
    I started making the blocks as pictured in the original quilt but after the first row decided to follow the book. It was easier to keep track. I label the back of each block with the placement # found in the back of the book with a sm. sticker.
    My biggest problem is with sizing the block. I have found that using freezer paper templates ironed on to cut the pieces has been a help. I make more then one for things like the fools puzzle that has many repeats of a shape. I take Th paper off before sewing. A accurate 1/4" is essential.
    Will be interested how you and your group come with your projects.
    Jayne

• gram999
    11 years ago

No posts in a couple of years? Does that mean you all finished your quilts?

I am going to start one. I hope to at least finish 2 blocks a week. I'm retired, so that shouldn't be a problem, but...we don't just sit around twiddling our thumbs.

Toolgranny, the blocks you posted are beautiful - one of the prettiest color schemes I've seen, & I've been searching trying to decide on the colors.

I hadn't heard of these books until Nancy Zeiman featured her at the end of one of her programs. I'm on the 9th one.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Yes, mine still sit here untouched but put away nicely in a tin box. Fabrics are still on a rack in front of me. One day I'll decide this UFO needs dusting off. Several times I've said I'll make a small quilt out of just what is done and then move on. But, I'm always afraid I'll change my mind later and regret it. Oh well.

Isn't there a post here somewhere of Nanajayne's finished one? I seem to remember seeing hers and it was lovely. Or am I just having a senior moment?

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I have about 60 blocks made and mine is also put away for now. My blocks are all purple and green. I have about 10 quilting friends who have finished theirs. Some made all 140 blocks and others stopped and made either smaller projects or set the blocks on point so therefore didn't need as many blocks.
    Here is a picture of a few of my blocks.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Linda~ You are not having a senior moment... nanajayne did finish hers.

I would love to do this project... someday maybe I will. It's just such a big commitment that I think I would stall out and not get back to it. Maybe in the future without all my distractions... I know...when I retire, that's when I'll do it!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I'm just reading this post for the first time and wow!!!...Linda...Your blocks are beautiful and ditto to my birthday twin tuppermom. This is right up my alley (I say bravely), but I so need to wrap up my other projects before jumping into something new. Another one for the project list!
    V.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Toolgranny,

The blocks are beautiful and I agree about the color scheme. Somehow the gentle colors help you look at all the variety.

Leave it to a husband to make a statement like that ;-) Guess they need to keep us humble!

Tuppermom, pretty, pretty. They look very girly and I love those colors together.

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have posted a pic of the quilt before but so you can see it I will try again

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Gorgeous. What a lot of work!

• gram999
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting more pics. I LOVE all your color schemes. The hardest part is deciding on the colors. At first, I thought I'd make it scrappy for the guest room. Now I have to think about that some more.

Nanajayne, yours is stunning with the 2 color sashing. It really sets those blocks apart so you can see all the detail.

It is going to be time consuming, but since every block is different, it won't be like making 100+ of the same thing.

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

nanajayne, your quilt has me shaking my head in disbelief. It is amazing!!! toolgranny, your colors are so elegant and rich-looking.

I started making this quilt several years ago--made about 10 blocks and then decided that I didn't like the fabrics. It is definitely still on my bucket list, and I have all the patterns on my computer from the olden days when it was posted for free. Now you all have inspired me to re-start this beautiful quilt. Thank you!

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a note for those who use the book for the patterns. I believe J. Chiaverini probably had several people contribute patterns and I found that some weren't all accurate. That is the reason that the blocks have a border to allow them to have a uniform size. A large variety of techniques to try.

• gram999
    11 years ago

I did a LOT of searching on this quilt & found lots of interesting sites to read.

There is a correction for 4 of the blocks listed here -

http://www.ctpub.com/client/client_pages/errata/10686.cfm

Below is a link for an easier way to make the Hunter's Star on page 39 in the book.

Thanks for the tip that not all blocks finish the same size. I would assume that was me & spend all day trying to figure out what I did wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tips on making Hunter's Star

• colleenny
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting the correction site.gram999. I had started mine some time ago and put it aside. I am up to row E. Doing mine in blue and white. I need to pull out the blocks i've done and start working on them. Colleen

This post was edited by colleenny on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 10:48

• gram999
    11 years ago

You're welcome, Colleen.

For anyone interested, there is a Yahoo Group (sbs-bow - Sylvia's Bridal Sampler - Block of the Week) making this quilt. On Monday, the Moderator tells you what block to make by midnight Sunday. You post a photo of your block before then, & you're in a drawing for an Elm Creek Quilt pin. I'd wear that proudly.

You have to be approved to join. I was just approved, so that's all I know.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Gram999,
    I can't find that SBS group on Yahoo. Could you post a link to the homepage. I have 60 blocks made but need a nudge to get it finished.
    Thanks
    Maryv

• gram999
    11 years ago

Sorry, I can't. I received an email immediately when I tried to post it. It seems that particular board shouldn't be mentioned at all.

I'll try & send you an email with the website.

• gram999
    11 years ago

Obviously, I shouldn't do that either. I found the group when I searched Sylvia's Bridal Sampler through Google. Maybe you could add "BOW" to the search.

Good luck.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Thanks....I tried with BOW and didn't see it. There is a group but not sure if it is the one you are in. Can you tell me how many members there are in the group?

Maryv

• gram999
    11 years ago

There's 77 members.

• gram999
    11 years ago

Maryv & others,

You can find how to join on Facebook. See you there.

There are now 124 members since the website was posted on Facebook. I hope there are more from here who join also.

Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Jennifer Chiaverini's Facebook Page

This post was edited by gram999 on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 12:26

• msmeow
    11 years ago

A few years ago I saw a quilt at a show that was similar to SBS except the blocks were diamond shaped. Does anyone know the name of that quilt? I've googled different combinations of diamond shaped sampler quilts and haven't found it.

Thanks!

Donna

• nannykins
    11 years ago

In today's Fat Quarter shop mailing was a pattern that was all small blocks like these but set on point which makes it look like diamonds. I accidentally deleted their post but I think the name was Hampton something or other.
    Theresa

• calliope
    11 years ago

I'll never have the patience to do a quilt like this, but have to say they are probably my fav of all and admire anyone who can make a committment to doing one. True heirlooms.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Oh Mary, that looks like a lifetime of work.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Thanks, Tuppermom - that's not it, though. I'm thinking maybe the maker of the quilt I saw designed it herself, maybe based on SBS.

I actually think the Lancaster diamond is pretty ugly...but that's just me. :)

Donna

• colleenny
    11 years ago

There is a new group on yahoo that is doing one block each week from SBS. I joined because it is the only way I am going to get the impetus to work on it. I am posting the link, if anyone is interested. Colleen
    OOps. they won't let me post the link but if you look under yahoo groups for sbs-bow you might find it.