Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

My 2011 Family Quilt Photos

quiltingfox
12 years ago

Here are photos of the quilts I drafted, designed and hand-quilted in 2011. The canning jar lap quilt I hand-appliqued for my mom. It took me 9 months to complete the hand-applique stitching and this was my first hand-applique project to ever do. I added lace under the lids of the jars per my mom's request. I am happy to say my mom really loves the quilt. And special thanks to dan_the_mailman and chrizty for the fabric they sent me for this project. And Dan I appreciate the "shelf" idea you gave me!

{{!gwi}}

I stitched some stencil designs on to each block using white thread on white background so it would not detract from the jars. I pre-washed all my fabric. I took these photos before washing the quilt after completion so you could see the stencil design.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Below is the sailboat baby quilt I made for my sister's baby in batik fabrics. I like how the blue batik fabrics gave motion to the quilt. I drafted, designed, and machine-appliqued the blocks for this quilt and then hand-quilted the whole quilt. I am happy to say my sister loves the quilt.

{{!gwi}}

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year! Now am off to quilt. :-)

Best to you,

Sandra

Comments (13)

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Fantastic work Sandra! I'm glad I could help with the canning jar quilt. If you need more of the wooden fabric, I know where to get it!
    HUGAS!!!

Dan

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sandra, thanks for posting your work here on the Quilting Forum - it is nice to see your pictures and I enjoy your explanations of how and why.
    I made a Jar quilt this year also - I love the touch of lace you added to the Jar lids. Great idea from your Mom! I was also gifted veggie fabrics from a generous forum member that helped me complete my quilt. This is a great forum!

I'm a sailor - I love your Batik Sailboat Quilt!

Thanks again for posting.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the woodgrain fabric and your idea for me putting the jars on "shelves" Dan - that was brilliant and added the perfect contrast and balance that the quilt needed. Magothyrivergirl thank you bunches and glad you like them. It was a real pleasure to make these quilts as they went to family members. I like knowing they will be passed on to future generations of my family. Well off to work on my Card Tricks blocks - just finished #71 of 80, so just 9 more to make - yeah! The Card Tricks queensize quilt is for my parents and am hoping to hand-quilt it in 2012 after I hand quilt my Grandma's garden-themed queensize quilt. I am excited about my quilt projects for 2012. :-)

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Everything in the jars looks so yummy.
    A beautiful work

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Great work, Sandra. Very creative. I especially like your sailboat quilt. It's very sweet. Lois

• chrizty
    12 years ago

It turned out Beauitful!!! You always do a good job :)
    love the sailboat too!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Great work, Sandra. I really like jar quilts and the lace idea adds a nice 'vintage' touch.

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    12 years ago

Good work. Love the lace. A jar quilt is on my 'to-try' list.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

These are both very nice! Thanks for posting them. The lace is great and adds interesting dimension.

Kate

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I am sure your family will be so happy with the quilts. The jar quilt is perfect for MOM. Good job. TFS

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your compliments everyone, I am delighted that you all like the quilts I made! It is nice to share them with others who quilt and who can truly appreciate the amount of work that goes into a quilt. I love coming to this forum especially when people share pics cause it is like going to mini-quilt shows which is really fun for me as I don't get out of the house very often.

I did get to go to a quilt show about an hour from my home last spring and loved it - we just happened to go tour an old sawmill while RVing and they were getting ready for their annual festival and had 2 back rooms in the local store on the property filled with quilts - I just wish I would have packed my camera for that trip! It was really cool to see what other local Louisiana quilters are making. My husband even commented that he liked a lighthouse quilt that was on display so that gives me ideas for doing a quilt in the future for him. Hoping when we go RVing in the spring of 2012 that we can attend their quilt show again and this time take my camera.

My mom has been canning fruits and veggies my entire life so the canning jar quilt just fit her so perfectly. Sharon and Kate I am very happy that my mom had the idea to put lace under the lids and I am glad you like the lace on the jars too. I originally wanted to put some sort of fabric for fringe under the lids for decoration, but thought that would be hard to sew through 2 layers of Steam-A-Seam2 / 2 layers of applique so I was really happy when my mom suggested she would like to have lace. And I found the lace I used at Walmart of all places.

Thank you bunches Christy!!! And it is because of you that this canning jar quilt was possible since you sent me all of the beautiful veggie and fruit fabric that I needed for the quilt. You are such a good friend! I really love the GardenWeb and this Quilting Forum as I have made a lot of great friends here who have have helped nurture my love of quilting. Thank you all bunches!!! :-)

Best to you and many, many thanks,
    Sandra

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Beautiful quilts!! I love all the details in the canning quilt. And batiks are my favorite, so I love the sail boats.

Robbi

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Robbi! So glad you like them. :-)

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida