Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bosaapje

Rag Quilt Confusion! Help!

bosaapje
15 years ago

So I've decided to make my first rag quilt and I have a couple questions.

First, I've read in several places that you don't have to use regular batting in the center, you can use a flannel. Then I read in a couple different places NOT to use flannel. Argh! Can someone help clarify this?

Second, I have a lot of regular quilter's cotton and wondered if I could use it for the top and a couple layers of flannel as center and back... if the flannel is okay :) I don't know how well regular cotton would fray up. I also have some denim I can play with and have seen pictures of some really nice ones made with denim.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not an expert quilter in the first place, only having made one or two, but the rag quilts look like fun and I just found out I have my first grandbaby on the way!

Comments (30)

• wendyfaye
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi bosa,

It really all depends on how heavy you want the quilt to be. I just finished one for a friend's baby and it is made with 3 layers of flannel. Quite heavy, but good for our northern winters for the car. I also made one for another friend's daughter this summer with front and back regular cotton and one layer of flannel in between. It was a nice weight. I've heard of using a smaller square of batting, but I've never seen one and it would seem too heavy to me.

I'll try and get a picture of my latest one up soon.

Don't worry about what you've read. If you like it, it is the right way to do it.

Don't forget to share a picture.

Good luck
    Faye

• nana24
    15 years ago

Cotten with flannel will work fine but I found that flannel will generally shrink. I would be sure to wash it before I cut my squares. I don't usually wash prior to sewing but this is one time I do. I had no trouble getting my cotten to rag or fray.

Sally

• grammyp
    15 years ago

I have never used batting with my rag quilts. I have used flannel (2 layers), cotton (2 and 3 layers)and cotton with denim (1 layer each) and they all ragged beautifully and held up well. If you use flannel, be sure to wash it first, especially if you are combining it with cotton.

beverly

• bosaapje
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys have been so helpful! I'll probably start with the denim first. I have some old jeans and a shirt with some embroidered flowers on it that I picked up at a yard sale awhile back. I bought it not to wear, but to cut patches out of it and use it in sewing. I think it will be perfect! That way I can practice without a lot of cost and save my better flannel for the baby quilt. I'll use the cheaper flannel I picked up at Wal-mart for the center. (Did I mention good flannel is really expensive! Sheesh!)

Thank you all so much!

• wendyfaye
    15 years ago

I forgot about my first one that I made several years ago. It was mostly denim and frayed beautifully.

Faye

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

I have only made 2 rag quilts but they both turner out quite well. The first was with denim and flannel, one of each. It turned out quilt heavy. The second was all flannel and I used 3 layers and it was a nice wt. to cuddle with. I wouldn't have a problem using cotton fabric on one of the sides but would use flannel for 2 layers.
    That is just my opinion. Jayne

• redpenny
    15 years ago

I always use a cotton batting when I make my rag quilts and I always use flannel which I found best for ragging.
    with denim which I have done I use no batting but I find the denim too heavy....but denim frays great and I like to use as accent pieces or appliques.....good luck with your quilt!
    Red

• redpenny
    15 years ago

I forgot to add chennile and flannel is also great for cuddly and great for fraying and look beautiful together.
    I love chennile rag quilts......
    Red

• patce
    15 years ago

When I made rag quilts,was told that flannel from Wmart & the cheaper flannel from Joanns would rag beautifully & they did.I don't use batting....just 2 layers of flannel...in fact,I have the rag throw on my legs right now. So warm & cuddly, washes great. DD says they all want to use the 2 I made for them.
    You could take 2 layers of flannel & use it to keep warm...& see what you think.
    Never cared for denim quilts,too heavy & a pill to wash/dry. JMO PL

• botanicat
    15 years ago

Corduroy also works well for the back with flannel. No batting needed. I usually use a thin, flat cotton or cotton/poly blend batting when using only flannel.

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

I love raggedy quilts!!! We have warm winters so I use cotton on the top and bottom and prewashed muslin for the batting.
    I made a lap size denium with no batting and a cotton on the backing for a boy tween and he loved it but it was still heavy.
    Denium is harder to clip and I made mine in 4 parts, clipped as I went and sewed the 4 together.
    Clip outside or you will have lint all over your house, ask me how I know lol!!!!!!
    When you dry empty the lint trap often, it build up fast.
    Rosa

• bosaapje
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice quilts Rosajo!

So I talked my husband out of two pairs of his old jeans (that sounds funny....) and picked up some at the thrift store for $1 each. So I started cutting out the denim today. Wow... that's a lot of work. :) I'm trying to decide which flannel, but I have some picked out that I'll probably use. I think it will look really good.

We had four inches of snow in town today. What a mess it is outside. Oh well, it's great sewing weather, and it may take me all winter to finish cutting denim squares!

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

• mhmama
    10 years ago

The rag quilts here are beautiful. We have a rag quilting facebook page and many of us are novice to say the least. Most of us use flannel and have no problems with it, in fact it is preferred.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rag Quilting

• maritime_linda
    10 years ago

I used 2 layers of flannel with cotton batting in the middle. It is heavy and very warm. I have it on the guest bed at the cottage and everyone raves about how warm it is. I was hoping that the flannel would fray better than it did. The best fraying I've seen has been when homespun is used. It frays beautifully!!

• jacky123
    9 years ago

Does anyone use the rag cutting dies? I have borrowed the 8.5" from a friend, and worked great for a first quilt. Wanting to expand my design and looking for the rectangle and the small squares but can't find them on line.

• BlueMoonMomma
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh Ladies I need help!! Where to begin without writing a book?!?
    So I decided one day to try and make a rag quilt...
    Well one thing lead to another and now I can actually make a small amount of money selling them. I am a stay at home mom with 5 children, this is a way for me to make a bit of personal money and to actually have something creative to do with my hands and mind!
    At first I was doing small floor play for babies size, crib, small throw or toddler bed size. Well now that has progressed into large throws and also includes twin/long twin sizes...next queen size! (holy cow what have I got myself into?)
    Needless to say I have made mince meat out of 2 machines, a Singer 4525c
    and a Brother SQ9185. The Brother says "quilting", guess they mean traditional Quilts! I am pushing 5,7,10,15 pound quilts trough these and I have to say my arms are exhausted, my machines have given up and now I am without a machine altogether!
    My girlfriend is a professional seamstress, she is all about vintage Bernina's. I have a fabulous kind of local, trustworthy, honest repair/restorative sewing machine guy that works from his garage/shop. (No over head) This guy can fix anything!! He has for me a couple of Bernina options, but bet he could get about anything I would want! He has already told me he will take back on trade anything I get from him. Plus guarantees his used restored machines for 1yr. parts and labor! Can't go wrong there! Found the guy, now desperately need help with machines!!!
    So my quilts are not only heavy they are thick! Wish I knew how to attach pictures here!! One sandwich might consist of, minky, cotton fabric, cotton fabric, warm & natural, cotton fabric, denim. (6 layers! Yes, really have done this one.) My squares are 9.5"x9.5" 1" seams= 7.5"x7.5" finished squares 5 squares across 7 down= XL throw! That one was a little over 5lbs. Including box I mailed it in.
    Repair guy has a Bernina 530 record and a 730 record currently complete with all parts and cases, either one my choice $350. I have not been using walking foot at this point...lots of pins! I will be from here on out, minky is a slippery fabric for sure! Now technically these are old school home machines. Not heavy duty, just heavy! Now I have to say they are work horses but, still worried about all of that quilt weight! I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions that could be helpful? No room for industrial machine, currently use the dinning room and long 6 seat table to do these on. No room for my own space, maybe down the line. Till then machine needs to be somewhat portable! Someone asked me if there was a machine that not only do the feed dogs work to feed fabric, but are there presser feet that move in unison to work the fabric back as well? Does anyone know anything about that type of machine, and if so what is that action called? Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated! I am pretty much self taught when it comes to sewing, there are tons of things I really have no clue about! PLEASE HELP!

• BlueMoonMomma
    9 years ago

Figured out the pictures! Yay! Here is an example of a 6 layer rag quilt!

• BlueMoonMomma
    9 years ago

6 layers too!

• BlueMoonMomma
    9 years ago

6 layer purple Camo.

• BlueMoonMomma
    9 years ago

Close up purple Camo.

• BlueMoonMomma
    9 years ago

Minky back side

• BlueMoonMomma
    9 years ago

Also, just to answer the initial question that started this feed...
    I have played around with so many fabrics all have worked for me with the addition of other fabrics I know will fray and give it fluff, hence why mine are so thick! I will list some items I have used in my rag quilts...they are "rag quilts" so Good Will is my favorite place to pick up things to repurpose!!
    Cotton or cotton blends work best, but I have tried it all!!
    ~curtains
    ~sheets
    ~tablecloths
    ~blankets
    ~shirts
    ~skirts
    ~hospital scrubs
    ~night gowns
    Even older, ugly, undesirable pieces can be given new life hidden in the middle or used as quilt filler! Seriously crazy what can make a really amazing, warm, and colorful quilt! When in doubt I make a small "test square" and wash it to see what it does! I have done one all out of t-shirts too! Was working on my first one made of saved baby clothes when my Brother gave up on me. Be creative, and again do a test square and wash it if you are in doubt!

• BlueMoonMomma
    9 years ago

Jacky123~ look on accuquilt.com also check Joann's on line. Have seen a few on ebay as well! Good luck and happy sewing!

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

If I made that many rag quilts that heavy, I would invest in an industrial version of a Juki or similar. They are built for making commercial things like jeans, only straight stitch, have a huge throat, and run very fast. Try searching your local Craig's list for commercial sewing machines. They'd be the thing for heavy rag quilts if that is all you want it for.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

This looks like someone trying to sell rag quilts...not allowed on GW.

• BlueMoonMomma
    9 years ago

No, not selling. Trying to get help with finding the right kind of sewing machine for the type of quilt shown in the pictures. Did you even read the feed msmeow?
    Thank you so much toolgranny! I did just that today! My machine guy has an industrial Pfaff for me to look at when I go by to look at the 530 record and the 730 record. I will also ask him the part of the question I posted about presser foot motion too. Somewhere I have heard the term "box motion". Not sure if that is an industrial feed dog motion or presser foot motion. I have learned so much about different machines since both of mine have pooped out on me!! I do see why so many people that enjoy sewing or do it for a living usually have a couple of machines to choose from! I really love the vintage machines, I have always found the new computerized models a bit confusing! I will say the capability of these machines to produce embroidery designs blows me away, just not sure I could program the machine to do so without an extended education corse! ;)
    Meeting to look at the machines on Monday. Will come back and post how that goes! Really excited! Miss sewing too, been 2 weeks now, beading is not as fulfilling for me!!
    Have a great rest of your weekend everyone! Super Bowl Suday tomorrow! Yay!

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

BlueMoonMomma~I have Pfaff machines. Love Pfaff. You are describing The IDT Pfaff's are know for; I've linked a You tube showing it below. I have a Pfaff 1222E I've had for 45 years that has this system. I also have a high (ish) speed, straight stitch only-all metal-mechanial Pfaff 1200 that does not have this feature. Pfaff also makes Industrial machines, so I am interested in what you look at. I think you should add a manual pressure foot knob to your criteria.
    Another machine to look at is the Sailrite Ultra-Feed. the Basic machine would work. Your Machine guy may be able to find one for you used, or check. They are also mechanical and he could easily repair it.
    I would stick with a mechanical machine for what you are making.

I'm sure, Msmeow made the comment, because you posted to an old 6 year old thread and registered the same day -- that is usually the sign of SPAM. I wondered the same thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pfaff IDT

• louchi644
    7 years ago

This thread comes up in search. The same way I found it. But I'm just curious bluemoonmama why your machine didn't have a warranty? That machine has a very long warranty. But I agree with others an industrial machine is needed. Many aren't much bigger than a home machine.

• lmontestella
    7 years ago

BlueMoon,

This thread is old, but if you're still reading along.

Am rather curious why you're layering SIX layers? Talk about overkill!!! (Unless you're making them for use in Alaska or in Scandanavian Winters. You're making SO MUCH EXTRA work for yourself (using 6 layers).

Most folks just do THREE which would certainly be much easier on your machines.

Food for thought???