Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice Mystery Progress

Posted by jackier123 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 17:22

After machine sewing the binding on two quilts yesterday, I started and finished clue #1 of the Mystery.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice Mystery Progress

Yay for keeping up! Are you using all her colors?
Did you use the tri recs rulers for these?

I want to see your 9 Patch Pizazz quilts when you get a chance. Are those the 2 quilts that you got bound?

o

Very nice! Will be trying this but need to get fabric. I don't have enough of those bright colors.

o

Yes, I decided to use her colors. I had all those in my stash and in my scraps so I went with it. I am making the smaller size. It will probably end up used on the couch. I used the Tri-Rec rulers. I somehow had 2 sets of them. I must have got a second set from my friend's stuff that she gifted me before she passed away.

Jackie

o

I am doing the larger size. So far I have 120 of the neutral background units done. I have all the neutral middles cut; still have to cut the orange middles and a bunch more of the blue points.

I was having a lot of trouble on Fri. cutting the blue pieces with the "Rec" ruler. I am a lefty so have to cut with it upside down. I finally put sandpaper dots on the front of it and that has helped a lot.

Donna

o

You are ahead of me. I just got home this afternoon from visiting DD and family. We went to Columbus on Thursday.
I cut all the orange and neutral triangles and hope to start the blue this evening if I don't run out of energy.
Linda OH

o

I checked out her "link up" blog post today, thinking I might learn how to do a blog so I could participate...there were already dozens of pictures from other quilter's blogs, so I decided I can skip that part and just try to keep up with the weekly clues.

o

Oh dear, I just checked out Bonnie's page and I'm intrigued. Not sure if I can keep up, but I have the itch to give this a go. For experienced BH mystery quilters...do you recall how much of a time investment were the prior mysteries?
V.

o

It is usually for me just a few hours per week. This week's was a bit more, maybe 6 hours, and that was due to the cutting of the pieces. It is usually faster when it is squares and triangles. This week's sections were a little more involved. I usually try to do the cutting on Friday evening, then sew on Saturday.

But even if you cannot keep up, that is ok. Just print the instructions and do it at your leisure. I had never done a scrappy quilt until I did one of hers. Now I can do them without cringing and actually love them.

Jackie

o

Wow, Jackie! I spent most of Friday and Saturday, and a couple hours on Sunday, and I am nowhere near done with step 1. You are really fast! Of course, I am truly using scraps, so many pieces have been cut one or two at a time rather than cutting strips and stacking them to cut four at a time.

I am off tomorrow and my goal is to at least finish cutting all the pieces for step one so I am ready for step two on Friday.

Valarie, Bonnie recommends stopping wherever you are on previous steps and start the next one when it is released, in case you have questions or need clarification on something.

Donna

o

"I had never done a scrappy quilt until I did one of hers. Now I can do them without cringing and actually love them. "

Jackie, Scrappy does take getting used to, doesn't it? There are still some that I can't handle, but that might be because I cannot 'see' what the pattern is. Even with scrappy, it seems I need to have some kind of order. You're doing a good job in keeping up with the mystery.

SharonG/FL

o

I am with Sharon here. I have done many scrappy quilts but only if I can see the block. Totally scrappy doesn't appeal to me. I like the quilt posted by vanislegirl which is scrappy but the block is very evident.
Theresa

o

Whew! Finished part one just in time for part two. :)

380 tri-rec units!
 photo partonedone12-06-13_zpsbd4674ac.jpg

Donna

o

You girls are awesome!!!

SharonG/FL

o

Way to go Donna. I will be doing clue 2 today as I took a day's vacation, but next week I will probably get behind as I will be traveling for work.

Jackie

o

I have clue 2 cut out. I started to sew my first block last night and my sewing machine jammed. There is thread stuck in the tension and I can't get to it to take it out. My machine does not open to get inside. I have other machines but this is my favorite for piecing. I may just have to use another until I can get it to the repair shop. Oh well! sigh
Linda OH

o

Bummer! Such frustration when you have to wait and wait and wait for a repair.
LindaB/CA

o

I am a bit behind! Got my fabric...started using my new rulers, but need to stop to glimmer up the house. Now it is snowing! Time to put on the music and decorate!

o

I managed to get clue #2 done just in time. I fly to Dallas in the morning for work. I will be behind after this week since I won't be home.

Jackie

o

It is fun watching your progress - you ladies are awesome!

Lindaoh - I am assuming you tried using a piece of flat dental floss in the thread path with the pressure foot UP to release the tension disks. I HATE IT that our newer machines are designed so we can't perform simple maintenance!

o

I got all 6,000 green rectangles cut yesterday. (Really only 488, just semed like 6,000!) I still have a bunch of neutral and yellow squares to cut, and oh, yeah, another 448 units to sew! LOL

Donna

o

I got out my Featherweight, oiled, adjusted the bobbin tension, and sewed the squares on the rectangles yesterday. I still can't get the thread out that is stuck in the Viking. The weather didn't permit me to take the machine into the repair shop today.
I need to press all the pieces and trim them so I can sew them into chevron squares. I think that step will have to wait a few days. My DD is in the hospital having her baby!
Linda OH

o

Wooohoooo Linda OH!!! New grandbaby alert!!!!

SharonG/FL

o

Yay! I caught up all the way through clue #4! I am ready for clue #5 tomorrow morning.

Jackie

o

Jackie, I just this minute finished cutting step 4. I also sewed 40 of the 4 patches today...I want to have at least some of each unit done when she starts giving assembly directions.

I have 170 of the 244 chevron units done, and quite a pile of the HSTs.

I think from her past designs that tomorrow we will get one more set of units to make. I hope they have more blue - we've only used it in the first step!

Donna

o

I just finished clue #5! So glad I got caught up.

Jackie

o

I cut all of part 5 yesterday. Now I just need to sew, sew, sew! LOL

Do you think the next part will begin the assembly process? Have you been playing around trying to figure out where all the units will end up?

I'm thinking the chevrons will be a border, or maybe sashing. But I think every unit has the same quantity, so maybe they are all going into blocks. Or maybe all those 3" units are the final blocks!

Donna

o

Bonnie said on quilt cam yesterday that we would be starting to put it together within the next couple weeks. I think we have at least another week or two of clues because we really do not have enough to make a quilt yet.

Jackie

o

I'm back home again and plan to try to catch up with the mystery this week.
Linda OH

o

One of these years I'll join in a Bonnie Mystery, but not this year. I really like the colors in this one though and wish I had the time. Really looking forward to watching the progress of your quilts!

Kate

o

Hi, Kate! I've been wondering where you were. It's good to have you back!

Donna

o

It's good to be back!

o

YAY! kate's back!!

o

Well, Bonnie gave us a New Year's Day surprise and revealed Celtic Solstice! I love it!

I just (FINALLY!) finished the chevrons. Next I'm going to work on the split triangles. I have a bunch more 4 patches to sew, but they should fly by after these more complicated units.

Donna

o

I have all the clues finished! Now on to constructing the blocks. I hope to finish them this weekend.
Linda OH

o

Here are the first of my blocks laid out. It's busy! :D But I like it!

I have 50 more 54-40 blocks to assemble. I think I'll assemble the rows as I go. I'm also thinking of changing up the borders a bit. I bought a beautiful yellow that I haven't used yet; I think it may become my outer border.

o

This is beautiful! Really like your Bonnie Hunter quilt!

o

It's wonderful! The colors really play well together and it makes a great pattern.

o

Msmeow,
I like it too. Great work. This forum is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
LindaB/CA

o

Msmeow...Love it...it' cheerful and those scraps play together so nicely!
V.

o

Oh how pretty! Wow, Donna, you are fast!

Gwen

o

Very nice Donna and ambitious! I really like all the CS I've seen posted -- this is a great pattern for scrappy! Yours is very pretty so far.

o

Thanks, everyone! I got 4 strips of blocks assembled yesterday. I still have 40 more blocks to assemble, so it's still got a ways to go. :)

Donna

o

donna, the colors go so well together. it is very pretty. i'm not big on orange, but peach is one of my favorite colors.

o

Whew! I finally finished the center! Today I'll start working on the borders.

I changed the layout from 11 x 11 to 10 x 12. I think I'll also change the pieced border a bit. I'll incorporate the leftover parts in the backing.

Donna

o

Wow! Beautiful!
Theresa

o

Great Job! I have all my blocks done, just haven't put them together yet.

o

Awesome! Just love the colors and pattern! Well done...
V.

o

I like your colors, Donna. It's been interesting to see the various shades that's been used. Good job!

SharonG/FL

o

Spectacular!!!

o

Wow, that's really beautiful. It reminds me of the floors in some old European churches. Lovely work, Donna.

o

Wonderful. You've excelled so far, can't wait to see what you do for the borders.
LindaB/CA

o

What a lot of work. It's just beautiful. Good job and thanks for sharing with us.

o

ditto to what everyone has said. it looks amazing!

o

It looks really pretty love the circles in it.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Donna I love it! It's so bright and happy!
Rosa

o

Donna, it's gorgeous! A lot of work but you did a wonderful job. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.
TFS.

~Geraldine

o

Thank you, everyone! This sucker is one big quilt! I have the neutral border on it and I'm working on the pieced border. I may stop there (instead of adding the last solid border). I think it will be plenty big enough, and I don't want to get it too big to fit on my frame!

Donna

o

WOW! Nice!

o

I have had the top finished for a while but haven't quilted it yet. I will have to move my quilt frame and put the machine on it. I moved it to make room for them to bring in a new refrigerator in December and haven't put it back yet.

o

Ooooh! Pretty. I am always impressed by fancy borders too.

LindaB/CA

o

Very beautiful, Linda. You did a terrific job!

o

Wowzers, Linda! Good job!!

SharonG/FL

o

Wow...you did a lovely job..it looks great!

o

You ladies have made Bonnie proud! I really like this year's mystery -- but OMG! all those pieces!!
Thanks for sharing your progress.

o

Whew, the top is done! It's hard to see in the photo, but instead of running the "arrows" around all the same direction, I have the center pair pointing toward each other on each side, and added a solid blue square in the corners.

It's supposed to have another solid border, but after putting it on the bed I found out one more border would be too big!

I'm taking a break from it before tackling quilting it.

Donna

o

Here it is without borders. I want to add several borders to it so that it is a decent size for a bed.

Jackie

o

Jackie, it looks great! Just love the pattern and color intensity...wow!
V.

o

It's amazing to me that they all look so different, for being the same pattern/colors!

Donna's is soft and almost pastel; in Jackie's I see more of the blue dominant and very crisp; and in Linda's I see the green as more predominant.

They all turned out great, ladies!!

o

Beautiful, Jackie and Linda!

Donna

o

all the quilts look beautiful! and i agree, the pattern reads a little different in eACH ONE.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here