Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackier123

Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice Mystery Progress

jackier123
10 years ago

After machine sewing the binding on two quilts yesterday, I started and finished clue #1 of the Mystery.

Comments (70)

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I got out my Featherweight, oiled, adjusted the bobbin tension, and sewed the squares on the rectangles yesterday. I still can't get the thread out that is stuck in the Viking. The weather didn't permit me to take the machine into the repair shop today.
    I need to press all the pieces and trim them so I can sew them into chevron squares. I think that step will have to wait a few days. My DD is in the hospital having her baby!
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Wooohoooo Linda OH!!! New grandbaby alert!!!!

SharonG/FL

• jackier123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay! I caught up all the way through clue #4! I am ready for clue #5 tomorrow morning.

Jackie

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Jackie, I just this minute finished cutting step 4. I also sewed 40 of the 4 patches today...I want to have at least some of each unit done when she starts giving assembly directions.

I have 170 of the 244 chevron units done, and quite a pile of the HSTs.

I think from her past designs that tomorrow we will get one more set of units to make. I hope they have more blue - we've only used it in the first step!

Donna

• jackier123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just finished clue #5! So glad I got caught up.

Jackie

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I cut all of part 5 yesterday. Now I just need to sew, sew, sew! LOL

Do you think the next part will begin the assembly process? Have you been playing around trying to figure out where all the units will end up?

I'm thinking the chevrons will be a border, or maybe sashing. But I think every unit has the same quantity, so maybe they are all going into blocks. Or maybe all those 3" units are the final blocks!

Donna

• jackier123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bonnie said on quilt cam yesterday that we would be starting to put it together within the next couple weeks. I think we have at least another week or two of clues because we really do not have enough to make a quilt yet.

Jackie

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I'm back home again and plan to try to catch up with the mystery this week.
    Linda OH

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

One of these years I'll join in a Bonnie Mystery, but not this year. I really like the colors in this one though and wish I had the time. Really looking forward to watching the progress of your quilts!

Kate

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Hi, Kate! I've been wondering where you were. It's good to have you back!

Donna

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

It's good to be back!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

YAY! kate's back!!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Well, Bonnie gave us a New Year's Day surprise and revealed Celtic Solstice! I love it!

I just (FINALLY!) finished the chevrons. Next I'm going to work on the split triangles. I have a bunch more 4 patches to sew, but they should fly by after these more complicated units.

Donna

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I have all the clues finished! Now on to constructing the blocks. I hope to finish them this weekend.
    Linda OH

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Here are the first of my blocks laid out. It's busy! :D But I like it!

I have 50 more 54-40 blocks to assemble. I think I'll assemble the rows as I go. I'm also thinking of changing up the borders a bit. I bought a beautiful yellow that I haven't used yet; I think it may become my outer border.

• redmary
    10 years ago

This is beautiful! Really like your Bonnie Hunter quilt!

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

It's wonderful! The colors really play well together and it makes a great pattern.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Msmeow,
    I like it too. Great work. This forum is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
    LindaB/CA

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Msmeow...Love it...it' cheerful and those scraps play together so nicely!
    V.

• sunnycentralfl
    10 years ago

Oh how pretty! Wow, Donna, you are fast!

Gwen

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Very nice Donna and ambitious! I really like all the CS I've seen posted -- this is a great pattern for scrappy! Yours is very pretty so far.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I got 4 strips of blocks assembled yesterday. I still have 40 more blocks to assemble, so it's still got a ways to go. :)

Donna

• bev2009
    10 years ago

donna, the colors go so well together. it is very pretty. i'm not big on orange, but peach is one of my favorite colors.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Whew! I finally finished the center! Today I'll start working on the borders.

I changed the layout from 11 x 11 to 10 x 12. I think I'll also change the pieced border a bit. I'll incorporate the leftover parts in the backing.

Donna

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Wow! Beautiful!
    Theresa

• jackier123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great Job! I have all my blocks done, just haven't put them together yet.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Awesome! Just love the colors and pattern! Well done...
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I like your colors, Donna. It's been interesting to see the various shades that's been used. Good job!

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Spectacular!!!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Wow, that's really beautiful. It reminds me of the floors in some old European churches. Lovely work, Donna.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Wonderful. You've excelled so far, can't wait to see what you do for the borders.
    LindaB/CA

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

What a lot of work. It's just beautiful. Good job and thanks for sharing with us.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

ditto to what everyone has said. it looks amazing!

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

It looks really pretty love the circles in it.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Donna I love it! It's so bright and happy!
    Rosa

• day2day
    10 years ago

Donna, it's gorgeous! A lot of work but you did a wonderful job. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone! This sucker is one big quilt! I have the neutral border on it and I'm working on the pieced border. I may stop there (instead of adding the last solid border). I think it will be plenty big enough, and I don't want to get it too big to fit on my frame!

Donna

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

WOW! Nice!

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I have had the top finished for a while but haven't quilted it yet. I will have to move my quilt frame and put the machine on it. I moved it to make room for them to bring in a new refrigerator in December and haven't put it back yet.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Ooooh! Pretty. I am always impressed by fancy borders too.

LindaB/CA

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Very beautiful, Linda. You did a terrific job!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Wowzers, Linda! Good job!!

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Wow...you did a lovely job..it looks great!

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

You ladies have made Bonnie proud! I really like this year's mystery -- but OMG! all those pieces!!
    Thanks for sharing your progress.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Whew, the top is done! It's hard to see in the photo, but instead of running the "arrows" around all the same direction, I have the center pair pointing toward each other on each side, and added a solid blue square in the corners.

It's supposed to have another solid border, but after putting it on the bed I found out one more border would be too big!

I'm taking a break from it before tackling quilting it.

Donna

• jackier123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is without borders. I want to add several borders to it so that it is a decent size for a bed.

Jackie

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Jackie, it looks great! Just love the pattern and color intensity...wow!
    V.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

It's amazing to me that they all look so different, for being the same pattern/colors!

Donna's is soft and almost pastel; in Jackie's I see more of the blue dominant and very crisp; and in Linda's I see the green as more predominant.

They all turned out great, ladies!!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Jackie and Linda!

Donna

• bev2009
    10 years ago

all the quilts look beautiful! and i agree, the pattern reads a little different in eACH ONE.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022