Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

Falling Charms Completed & others-pics heavy

magothyrivergirl
10 years ago

I am frustrated with Photobucket - sorry the main pic is sideways.

Wine Falling Charms - present for DH b'day

Backing:

Binding sewn by machine - I had to figure out the new settings and needle positions on new machine-I snapped a picture because I can't seem to remember which foot I liked to use.

Winter Quilts - gifts - this one I made at Retreat - also appears sideways :~(

Backing:

Also sideways - I didn't even try to fix this one ~LOL

Backing & Binding

And a UFO from 2008 - for my dog -- a D9P

Comments (17)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Somebody has been busy!
    They are all lovely. Did you use the 1/4in foot to do the binding?
    And I like the stripe binding you used.
    Theresa

• day2day
    10 years ago

Wonderful quilts. I like the Falling Charms...perfect backing too. You've been super-busy.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Marsha,
    These all look great! I love your quilting on the falling charms, very nice. BTW, I only do machine binding now...followed the advice I found on Missouri Star and like the results..yours look really nice.
    So glad to see the quilt from the retreat...just love it ..as well as the Christmas quilt! I have a soft spot for doggy quilts...very cute.
    You deserve a break now...Well done on all!!!
    V.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Beautiful quilts. I'm trying to resist the falling charms. The more I see it the harder it is....too mant UFO's though.
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Beautiful quilts. My favorites are the first 2 quilts. Congrats on finishing them. I wish I could get that many quilts finished in 1 year, amazing how much you get done. TFS!

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 19:14

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, I make double fold bias binding. Usually, I cut my strips 1 7/8" and use a 1/4 inch foot -- especially if there are blocks w/ points in the border (or no border) so I don't chop off the points. On the first quilt, I cut the very first strip at 2.5" - not paying attention! I sewed a thread less than 3/8" on the back, flip to the front and actually use a bilevel foot - adjust the needle position- to get a perfect line of topstitching stitching on the front and back (no SID) and a full binding.
    Easy for me, but needed to figure it out on this new machine - why the Dog UFO got finished!
    LindaB-I have another Falling Charms in the works. I need to decide on borders or not - quick and easy! Try one! So much easier than slicing and rearranging.

Val- Most of my quilts get machine sewn bindings -- they all are meant to be used and washed alot! And we all have dogs :~)

Sandra - try machine piecing and quilting and you will get so much
    more done! :~)

Thanks for looking!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Great work, Marsha. You have been super busy and have gotten some super quilts finished, too! Good job!

SharonG/FL

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

Your quilts are wonderful! Finishing a quilt is a great feeling. Has your DH seen the b-day quilt yet?
    Linda OH

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Nice quilts! I am another machine binder now, too. So much easier for me with the arthritis in my hands.

I know what you mean about Photobucket. I have been fighting with them (and my computer) all afternoon. Seems like every time I log in they have made changes.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

So THAT'S where all my productivity has gone!!! to the north!!

Good job, Marsha!! They all look great! [I think the left 'border' you have on the last one now works good!]

And no, Valarie! she can't take a break now....I'm going to send her some of mine, I think. ;)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Marsha, what is a bilevel foot?? I have a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4 and I would surely love to machine bind, especially utility quilts or those that will be washed often.
    Theresa

• nannykins
    10 years ago

another double post . Sorry!
    Theresa

This post was edited by nannykins on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 9:54

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, The foot I have have worked with my QE 2048 and the new Performance 5.0. Product # 820676-096 with IDT.
    In the old days, it was known as a Flat Felled Seam foot to sew the side seams on jeans. I have one for my old Pfaff 1222E, so I knew what I wanted. I always want to have this foot!
    If you decide to buy it - make sure the slot curves down on the sides (looks like a frown) - that is the newstyle. The straight slot is the old style and will not be compatible with newer machines.
    If you decide to buy one -- let me know, and I'll be happy to share my tips to get you started.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bilevel foot

• bev2009
    10 years ago

The quilts are all lovely. I assume you use a pantograph. I did not know what that was, but all you folks keep mentioning it, so I looked it up and watched a You Tube video demo. I never understood how the longarm worked before. Your quilting is wonderful. TFS

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All my quilting is freehand from the front of the machine - no pantographs. I have a Pfaff short arm regular straight stitch sewing machine I put on a frame (similar to others here). Nothing fancy - no bells or whistles, but I make it work w/ some modifications.
    I like to use fancy threads-especially variegated threads-the wine quilt thread has subtle changes in shades and it glistens a bit.

Thanks for the compliments!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Marsha, your quilts are wonderful. I, too, do my bindings by machine if possible. I'll have to see if I have a bi-level foot for my Janome. I'm just really careful when I do them now.

Could you please take a photo of your quilting set-up - your Pfaff short arm and frame? I am hoping to do more of the quilting myself, but I have been hesitating because of the cost of a long arm machine and frame. I would also have to do some rearranging in my house to accommodate a frame, but I'll be retiring next November, and I'll have more time to quilt. Thanks. Lois

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

Very nice!