Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

BH Mystery Quilt Clue 4

Heads up!!! This is where you use the saved HST's from Part 1. I didn't realize it so have a bunch cut out ready to sew! Oh well, I didn't make all of them so will use a few. No problem! I have a few more units of #3 to put together plus all of this one. Will next week be the reveal of how to put the blocks together? Have fun......

SharonG/FL

(Part 5 is linked in a later post)

Here is a link that might be useful: Grand Illusion Part 4

This post was edited by geezerfolks on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 13:56

Comments (28)

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Hehe, I'm still on clue 1.

beverly

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

I'm caught up for now but on the way out of town. I told the house sitter that if there's an emergency or fire, he was to save all the BH quilt patches sitting in my sewing room FIRST. Don't care if the house burns down but sure would hate to lose all that work.

Have a good holiday, friends!

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Have a safe trip. Hopefully I can catch up after Christmas since I won't be working much anymore.

beverly

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I am still working on clue 2. Got behind because of a work trip. I am off most of next week so hopefully I will catch up. I also have a couple other quilts in the works that I would like to work on next week too.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TG/Linda, It does seem like it's been a lot of work. Probably because ALL of the fabric pieces are smallish. Can't wait to see the layout.

Beverly, You'll feel like you're retired and wonder how in the world you had time to work. lol Might just as well enjoy it while it lasts. You're too good at what you do for them to not miss you and want you back. Name your price when they call. :-)

Jackie, You'll be able to catch up easily. I think the directions are pretty good if a person is paying attention. Just a bit time consuming if you're making the big size. I'm waiting to see what the layout is before deciding if I want to make it larger than 1/2 of Bonnie's size.

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    9 years ago

HR told me if I want to I can work when/if they call, IF I want to. Think I will take my usual work days and just spend the 12 hours sewing.

beverly

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

I cut out the squares and made the HSTs yesterday. I haven't had time to sew today. I started wrapping gifts until we had a visitor this afternoon. After he left, my DD called me to go shopping with her . Of course I had to say yes!
    I did get all the gifts for the grands wrapped. Tomorrow is another day!
    Linda OH

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Yesterday Mark & I went to a store to look at/get a new TV stand. It's one of those stores that sells unfinished hardwood furniture. He'd picked out one he liked from their website but they didn't have it in stock. I found one I liked better (and even cost less!). We were chatting with the owner about stain and such and ended up bringing home an unassembled stand, stain and polyurethane. I guess it's easier to do the stain and then assemble the pieces. So I'm sure Mark will start on that this afternoon when he gets home from church.

I'm cleaning house this morning since I blew it off on Friday. :) Just discovered a major ant infestation in the second bathroom when I turned on the tub faucet! ACK!

Mark's company Christmas dinner is tonight, but hopefully I can get in some more cross stitching time when I finish the house.

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Oh dear...I read the first post of the mystery and believe I'm hooked. Off to the sewing room / stash to check fabric colors. I'm not a pink fan, so I may need to buy some FQ to meet that requirement. I've been using the easy angle since i took a quilting class a few years ago, so I'm ready there. I've never done diamonds, so I'm anxious to try.
    I can't believe I got so easily sucked in LOL!
    V.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I started! So excited to finally tackle one of BH's mystery quilts!

Because of my late start, i made a few of each block first to test my colors ("Foggy Illusion"). I'm really happy with them so back to making oodles of block 1. And by "oodles" I mean 1/2 her number. I'm starting with 1/2 and if I totally love it I may make all the rest.

This was my first weekend sewing in months and it feels great!!!

Kate

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Well coming late to the table, but I raided my stash for the mystery. Having never done a BHMystery quilt and a true scrappy, I'd like your opinion of the selections I've made, excluding the yellow and blacks. I'm going to make the smaller size. I'm fine with my blacks in the stash, but I do need to get a yellow. I'm most concern with greens...based on your experience with BH, am I on the right track with the greens and the others?
    Thanks much....
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Valarie, You can change the pink to another color. Lots of them have changed colors.

Kate, I'm only doing half for now. This is my first Bonnie mystery and really wanted to see the layout before doing anymore cutting/sewing that would just sit in a container.

No sewing so far today......we had Christmas this morning at DD's. There were a lot of big and little happy kids. :-)

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Val, you can use any colors you want. BH specified the shades of color by using paint cards from the store. But, if these you've chosen go well with each other, I can see you just substituting your own colors which are close. It should be lovely - says she who has no idea if she'll even like the finished design.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Val, I've never done a Bonnie mystery either, but if you look at all the blocks and what colors are next to each other, I think contrast is important.

The Monday Link-ups on Bonnie's blog can give you an idea of the various fabric/colors everyone is using.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Part 1 link up

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Oops ...double post ...
    V.

This post was edited by littlehelen on Sun, Dec 21, 14 at 21:13

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Sharon, thanks for that link! Really shows how color variations all work. With BH's quilts, it's the pattern that stands out. I'm so excited to be doing this!

Kate

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I have a question about clue #5 posted today. There are only 25 of one 4-patch and 4 of another 4-patch for today. Does that sound like the center? Even if I'm making the quilt 1/2 the size of Bonnie's, I should still make all of today's blocks, right? There aren't enough to really matter so I'll make them all anyway but was curious what you more experienced Bonnie people thought.

Kate (no where near caught up with this mystery but taking a couple days off work next week to sew.).

• jackier123
    9 years ago

This is just a guess, but I would think that the 25 might be the centers of 25 blocks and the 4 might be cornerstones. We made 100 of the double diamond blocks and if you divide those into 4 for each block, you get 25...just guessing.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking the 4 would be for the 4 corners of the quilt with the borders, but, who knows.

I haven't done a thing on this clue yet......was up most the night and just can't get motivated.....which isn't anything new. lol

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's #5

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Oh of course! That math makes sense. If I hadn't numbed my brain with a full day of TV watching and turkey eating I may have figured that out myself! LOL Thanks!

• jackier123
    9 years ago

Yay! I finished clue #4. I hope to do clue #5 tomorrow.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kate, A day full of turkey eating and then snoozing (spacing out) in front of the TV is normal......I did the same thing. :-)

Jackie, I have them all done now except 5 also, but then I'm just doing half. Good thing cause I'm close to really getting bored with this one. It's time for me to center on something else and get this top together.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I'm a long ways from caught up, but having fun sewing today!
    {{gwi:2136810}}

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I am officially caught up today. Just finished clue 5. Kate I love your colors.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Thanks Jackie! Bet you aren't surprised I didn't go scrappy! :~))

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

I'm so anxious to see how the pattern flows, Kate. You're so trusting. I love your colors, though.

I'm caught up finally but I just used her color cards and scrappy within each color is pretty easy. Hope this is pretty. I'd make it larger if I like it a bunch. I need a king size something here. Mine are all queen or full these days and don't fit my bed. This might be the one!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kate, Nice choice of fabric for you....very subdued and calming. I like them.

Bonnie was inspired by the colors she's using while at the hotel on Mackinaw Island when she did a class up there. I don't know if you have seen all the pictures she posted, but they sure seemed to be 'bold' for a hotel. I think the reason this mystery has taken off like it has is because so many people have actually been there and feel a connection. I've been to the island, but not the hotel.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I have been to the island and the hotel many years ago on a trip to visit one of Jim's uncles. It's a stunning place and although I didn't remember it being so colorful, her pictures brought it all back. What I remember most was the drive across the big bridge because it was almost completely lost in fog. Ever since that trip (way back in college days) we've called it The Stairway to Heaven Bridge because it looked like it went up forever! Instead of "Grand Illusion", I'm calling mine "Foggy Illusion". I've been working with a lot of bright colors lately and it felt right to do this one more subdued. Hoping it works out OK!

Sponsored
Kelly Marino Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars37 Reviews
Award Winning & Professional Interior Design Services in Virginia