Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

My final finishes for 2011

karpet
12 years ago

I started these back at the beginning of the year and thought they would be done much earlier than this, but they are done. These are part of a personal challenge, (I don't know why I do that, but I do) to use up some solid color fabric scraps that were left over from aprons my mom made - she used solid color fabrics for backings. Red was the color she had the most of - all different shades. This makes 8 full size quilts from her apron backings so far and I have the remaining scraps set aside for 3 more quilts.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (18)

• karpet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the second

• karpet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And the third. Have a Merry Christmas!
    Karlene

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Karlene, they are WONDERFUL! Your color placement and shading is great. And that's a LOT of red scraps! LOL

Donna

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

You've used the color so well. The borders are great, too. Good job. What a windfall of scraps.

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

They look like stained glass windows, especially the second one, I love them!

• karpet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! I have been buying 'green' fabric for several years now, and when it came time to add borders I found that I had 3 different Jinny Beyer red border fabrics that I had gotten at an estate sale! I love it when things work out that way! All 3 quilts use a 3D fabric technique and as I was picking the insert colors, I was thinking of the stained glass windows in our church for inspiration.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Wonderful job of using fabric. #2 looks like it may have been a real challenge. They are all lovily. Your mom must have made a lot of apron for you to have that many scraps. You must be very proud to have finished them. Congratulations. TFS

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Your use of color is astounding. They are beautiful. Very impressive!

• mzstitch
    12 years ago

How fun to give yourself a challange like this! My favorite is #2, but they are all great, and I'm anxious to see what you do with your other three quilts!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Awesome use of the reds, Karlene. Are you using them as gifts?

SharonG/FL

• wynative
    12 years ago

Beautiful!!! I love the first 2 : )

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Wow, they are beautiful! I love your use of the different shades of red.
    Linda OH

• fran1523
    12 years ago

What gorgeous quilts. It's not easy making monochromatic quilts and you've done a great job. The photography is awesome too.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

They are very pretty-you must be sick of red! Your Mom made alot of aprons. I agree, you did a wonderful job with shading and color placement.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful Karlene!!! My sis loves red and it is so hard to find good quality red. You are so lucky to have them.

What is the name of the quilt pattern in door number 1??

I would have to keep all of the, they are all works of art. Love the way you staged them in the pics.
    Rosa

• karpet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

#1 is a 10-minute quilt block. I had all my apron-backing scraps cut into 3 1/2" strips or 2 1/2" strips. With the 3 1/2" strips that were colors of flowers, I cut them into squares and separated them out by color. So I just did #1 with the 10-minute block method using yellow 3 1/2" squares. #2 is also the 10-minute block but I made the center black instead of yellow, and used a much bigger square. Then I rolled the edges in and 'filled' the center of the black blocks with the light green. So #1 and #2 are the same method, just different size squares and more steps with #2.

Here is the tutorial on the 10-min. block

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 minute block

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Those are all gorgeous,love your use of color,and what a great way to use up scraps,that being said your mom must have made a ton of aprons!!
    TFS
    Kathi

• loisflan
    12 years ago

They're beautiful, Karlene. I love your shading technique.