Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stippling Problem

Posted by fanelda (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 6, 10 at 16:31

My needle has been falling out and occasionally the foot falls off as well while I am stippling. Obviously I am a Newbie. Do I have this foot on correctly???? What am I doing wrong??? I just realized the thread is missing in this photo.

PS: The needle does NOT fall out for straight stitching, thank goodness.

100_3853

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stippling Problem

what kind of machine is this on?

o

It looks very much like my machine and your set up looks correct, as far as I can tell from the picture. I've never had a problem with needles or feet falling off so I'm not sure what to tell you. But I'm guessing you are putting strain on them somehow to cause them to loosen and slip. When doing free motion, I run the machine as fast as I can and try to move the fabric slowly but consistently, with my hands firmly on the fabric on both sides of the needle. It does take some trial and error to move the fabric without having it pull the needle, but keeping that foot pedal pushed to the max helps.

Kate

o
Feed dogs?

How about the feed dogs? Did you drop them down so they aren't trying to move your fabric forward while you're fighting to move it other directions?

Kate

o
a picture

This is what mine looks like. Pretty similar, right?

Kate

o

Feed dogs are down on my Janome Heart Truth 2008. Kate, I see the similarity, my foot is plastic, and I see you have metal. You do beautiful work! Someday mine will look like yours.

o

I have a Janome and a tip I picked up was to use the start/stop button instead of the foot peddle when machine quilting. I am just learning but find it easier using the button. I don't have to think about what speed to go.

Lynn

o

And I hope Kate cleans all that lint now that the world has seen it. LOL

o

I just changed my needle and the thread, and it is helping. I did clean my machine before starting this project. I read lots of tips!!!!

o

I would like for you to make sure your foot is screwed in as high as you can. If you notice the little bar (which looks like a cotter pin) is resting on top of the needle screw bar (what to call it?) - in Kate's pic, that cotter pin is well above that screw bar. The foot looks to be in the raised position in both pics. Also make sure you needle is installed as high as it can be, and that screw is tightened.

Toolgranny - I thought the same thing when I saw the lint :)

o

Does your machine vibrate when you are stippling? A shaky machine may "jar" your needle loose. especially if it is not all the way up in the hole and tightly attached by that screw handle thing. I know my lighter weight machine will "jump around" at high speed. so I have to keep the speed down so it doesn't jump around.
Another thought for you.....
Murphy

o

"And I hope Kate cleans all that lint now that the world has seen it. LOL"
I know! I guess I never get under my machine! LOL I almost didn't post the picture, but laughed at myself, did it, then went and cleaned my machine. I do the bobbin area constantly but had no idea this spot was so bad.

Kate (thinking of changing my name to Fuzzy!)

o

Is this the first time you've changed the needle? (You mention you're a newbie, not sure how new). Please don't think that I'm being overly questioning, but are you making sure that the needle's flat part is going in correctly and that it is shoved up as far as it will go before tightening the screw? Mine is positioned with the flat part towards the back of the machine. I've never attempted to put it in backwards, might not even be able to, but I can see where this would cause it to loosen easily.

o

Here is the photo with needle in in the down position. I noticed that the actual foot position does not change when pressor foot is up or down. Only the pressor foot moves. Is this normal???

Yes,needle flat is in the back, I double checked, and it is as high as posible. Will see what happens today.

100_3858

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here