Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fanelda

Stippling Problem

fanelda
13 years ago

My needle has been falling out and occasionally the foot falls off as well while I am stippling. Obviously I am a Newbie. Do I have this foot on correctly???? What am I doing wrong??? I just realized the thread is missing in this photo.

PS: The needle does NOT fall out for straight stitching, thank goodness.

Comments (13)

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

what kind of machine is this on?

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

It looks very much like my machine and your set up looks correct, as far as I can tell from the picture. I've never had a problem with needles or feet falling off so I'm not sure what to tell you. But I'm guessing you are putting strain on them somehow to cause them to loosen and slip. When doing free motion, I run the machine as fast as I can and try to move the fabric slowly but consistently, with my hands firmly on the fabric on both sides of the needle. It does take some trial and error to move the fabric without having it pull the needle, but keeping that foot pedal pushed to the max helps.

Kate

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

How about the feed dogs? Did you drop them down so they aren't trying to move your fabric forward while you're fighting to move it other directions?

Kate

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

This is what mine looks like. Pretty similar, right?

Kate

• fanelda
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Feed dogs are down on my Janome Heart Truth 2008. Kate, I see the similarity, my foot is plastic, and I see you have metal. You do beautiful work! Someday mine will look like yours.

• lynndianne
    13 years ago

I have a Janome and a tip I picked up was to use the start/stop button instead of the foot peddle when machine quilting. I am just learning but find it easier using the button. I don't have to think about what speed to go.

Lynn

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

And I hope Kate cleans all that lint now that the world has seen it. LOL

• fanelda
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just changed my needle and the thread, and it is helping. I did clean my machine before starting this project. I read lots of tips!!!!

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I would like for you to make sure your foot is screwed in as high as you can. If you notice the little bar (which looks like a cotter pin) is resting on top of the needle screw bar (what to call it?) - in Kate's pic, that cotter pin is well above that screw bar. The foot looks to be in the raised position in both pics. Also make sure you needle is installed as high as it can be, and that screw is tightened.

Toolgranny - I thought the same thing when I saw the lint :)

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

Does your machine vibrate when you are stippling? A shaky machine may "jar" your needle loose. especially if it is not all the way up in the hole and tightly attached by that screw handle thing. I know my lighter weight machine will "jump around" at high speed. so I have to keep the speed down so it doesn't jump around.
    Another thought for you.....
    Murphy

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

"And I hope Kate cleans all that lint now that the world has seen it. LOL"
    I know! I guess I never get under my machine! LOL I almost didn't post the picture, but laughed at myself, did it, then went and cleaned my machine. I do the bobbin area constantly but had no idea this spot was so bad.

Kate (thinking of changing my name to Fuzzy!)

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

Is this the first time you've changed the needle? (You mention you're a newbie, not sure how new). Please don't think that I'm being overly questioning, but are you making sure that the needle's flat part is going in correctly and that it is shoved up as far as it will go before tightening the screw? Mine is positioned with the flat part towards the back of the machine. I've never attempted to put it in backwards, might not even be able to, but I can see where this would cause it to loosen easily.

• fanelda
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the photo with needle in in the down position. I noticed that the actual foot position does not change when pressor foot is up or down. Only the pressor foot moves. Is this normal???

Yes,needle flat is in the back, I double checked, and it is as high as posible. Will see what happens today.