Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Weekend quilting? 12/21 - 12/23

msmeow
11 years ago

Is it too early to start the weekend thread? I'm off tomorrow so my head is spinning with ideas for my day! Of course, I have things that must be done before the fun things. First physical therapy appt for my arthritic back at 7:45 am, a little shopping including groceries, then I think I can play in the sewing room the rest of the day.

I should be able to sew most of Saturday, too. Sunday's filled with church in the morning and at night and a lunchtime party. Hopefully I can make time for a nap, too!

Anybody else squeezing in some sewing time this weekend?

Donna

Comments (13)

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I'm really done for awhile. I finished the postage stamp quilt for the Christmas gift, it's labeled and wrapped. I also did a mini landscape quilt for my sister who I'm seeing Saturday. Got to do all that prep stuff for Christmas, it will be here before we know what hit. To all have a wonderful Christmas.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I have the nine kimono blocks appliqued, so hopefully tomorrow I can put the border around each square, get the sashing and border attached. It may get wrapped at this point and then finished right after Christmas. My daughter is here for another week, so I should be able to finish it.

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

I put the bindings on the last two quilts I made for Christmas and will be hand stitching the bindings this weekend. I still have to make 5 labels for the quilts but I have them on the card for my machine and just have to stitch them out and put on the quilts.
    We won't be having our Christmas until the 28th so I have a bit more time to finish everything. DH and I put up the tree yesterday but haven't decorated yet. I am fighting a cold this week but am feeling better today.
    My goal is to finish the quilts, decorate the tree, and wrap the gifts this weekend. That will leave next week to cook and make goodies.
    Linda OH

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I have finally finished the embroidery and flying geese sashings on my snowman wall hanging but it may have to hang on the wall now since carloads of kids arrive from now on. If I get a break here and there, I hope to put the border on and pin it up for quilting.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I made the backing and then birthed the patched Christmas tablecloth this afternoon. It finished off nicely and now I have one to switch off to for holiday meals. I have two quilt tops waiting to be addressed and one of them has the backing already cut to size and awaiting sandwiching. I don't think I'll start on either until I get inspired again. I had to push to finish the last one before boredom set in. Seems like I worked on it forever, but it was really more like six weeks. I do want to spend some time in the sewing room, but I have a few diversionary projects to do before I pick back up on the quilting.

I have a rocker to replace the cane seat on and the supplies are gathered and I may do it tomorrow. I'd like to construct a rag basket. One uses strips of cotton, wraps it around cotton clothesline and then sews it together as it is coiled. Then I have some left-over Japanese cloth I used for the backing for the blue/cream quilt I'd like to make some pillow slips from. It's gorgeous, an oriental Crane print in shades of blue. Thiking of making another canvas floor cloth and have some denim squares cut for a bath mat. Then again, I may squeeze in some practice with the new FMQ foot before I start on one of the new quilt tops. I've a new great granddaughter I'd like to make a dress for, and I want to use some light cotton lawn to make a few snoods. My hair is down past my bottom, and I usually wear it in a bun and could use a few covers to keep it neatly tucked under.

• msmeow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, Calliope, I'll try to think of some projects to fill your spare time! LOL. We wouldn't want you to get bored!

Donna

• calliope
    11 years ago

Laughing, Donna. This is the first time in eons I've had a large block of time to spend just playing in the sewing room. I did finish the pillow slips and they turned out beautifully. I also whipped that FMQ foot on the machine and just bit the bullet and started on the quilt. I've machine quilted before, but never used a special foot for it. Did most STD or large, gentle designs. Oh boy, I'll tell you, horsing that quilt around is about like calf roping. My arms are feeling it. I have a whole new respect for you gals who do it matter of factly. I think I can get the hang of it OK, but I'll never be masterful on it, but it'll get the job done. The back is turning out nicely and there are no extra big stitches or anything, but I am getting to hate that machine. I must have rethreaded it five times in an hour, cleaned out one birds nest, and rethreaded that touchy bobbin once. Thanks to you all who have shared hints about machine quilting along the way. They've been very helpful.

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Let's see. Work all day, finish the 4 annual photo/scrap books, wrap presents, clean house (family Christmas at my house instead of mom's this year). Could just scrap all that and quilt, one can never tell.

beverly

• chickie1
    11 years ago

I have been trying SOOO hard to finish four little purses all week. So i am planning to hide today and get them finished. Hubby 's Patriot quilt may be a Happy New Year gift. Hope to work on it too. Also need to wrap presents.
    Darlene

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Linda...your wall hanging is adorable!!!

Everyone sounds busy as an Elf this pre-holiday weekend..well we are women and we do quilt...there's no surprise that we are all busy, busy, busy.

I finally made a label and sewed it on the quilt I made for my great neice...feel like I've been working on this quilt it for eons...probably have :-) Now that's completed and I'm expected to see her on the 27th, the weatherman is calling for a snow storm...so who knows when I'll be able to give it to her, well that's ok...at least it's done!

Merry Christmas to one and all!

V.

• finchelover
    11 years ago

Few days ago I finished a quilt for my great granddaughter for xmas then went to Wichita now back will relax till New year and will make a test block of dresden Plate I hope to make a quilt for my granddaughter's wedding. Wish me luck. Merry Xmas all

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Toolgranny, I love the snowman quilt. They look so lively and full of fun.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Toolgranny, the snowman quilt is adorable. I hope you post a picture when completed.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor