Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serger Question/Help

Posted by momstar (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 15, 10 at 16:13

Hi all. I've been a member on the garden side for years and a lurker on the quilt forum for a while. I'm not sure if my question is best posted here but I'm hoping for some help.

I bought a Brother 4-thread serger at Sam's club about 20 years ago. It was cheap - I think it was around $60 but at the time it was a fortune to me. It has been a fantastic machine and has never needed repaired. I've kept it oiled and the fuzzies cleaned out of the mechanism.

Here is where the story goes South. I was doing a strip denim quilt for DH this summer. In my foolish attempt to hurry and have it done before he came home from out of town, I ran over a pin. It snapped one of the needles in half. Even when I replaced the needle it was still stitching poorly. I finally gave up and decided I needed to take it to the shop. I took it to my local quilt shop and had it repaired/serviced. They fixed the timing, cleaned, oiled, and replaced the blades. When I got it back and started sewing the levi quilt, it was still missing stitches, almost as many as before I took it in.

I returned to the shop and showed them on a sample sandwich of denim/batting/fabric what it was doing. They sent it back to the repair guy.

It came back, again, and still doesn't work. They tell me it is just too worn out to sew that thick of a piece.

It has sewn 80% of the quilt perfectly. I got frustrated and put everything away. Now I really want to finish up the project. I've tried to sew a sample of just regular fabric weight and it seems to sew okay. It is when I get the multiple layers of denim and batting that it won't work.

My questions are: 1) Am I doing something wrong with the settings, needle type/size, etc. that is making a difference in how it used to sew denim and now won't? 2) If I have to go buy another serger after all these years, what brand/model will handle the thickness of a denim strip quilt?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serger Question/Help

I feel your frustration! It sounds to me as if the denim is just too heavy for what you are asking the serger to do. I also have a Brother 4-thread serger, but it probably is not the same model that you have. Mine was on sale, but it was quite a bit more than your machine.

If they make "denim" needles that fit your serger, then try to get those needles and see if that helps. A quilt made with several layers of denim AND batting is going to be very thick and quite heavy. There is a reason why most quilters do not make denim quilts. :o(

You could look for a shop or individual that has a heavy duty industrial serger who could finish the quilt for you? Or is it possible to end the quilt where it is now and bind it so it will be finished? Just not as big as you intended?

Wish I could help more, but I won't even hem jeans for family on my machines......

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here