Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

I sold this one!

mary_c_gw
12 years ago

I had been playing around with some of my bright fabrics, and a Flip-Flop template I bought at the International Quilt Show in Houston last year.

A neighbor came over on Halloween to get hay bales for the hayride, and my studio was open. She came in, spied the top (which was quite small), and offered to buy it no matter how long it took me to finish it.

Well, family was visiting from Japan, and I had to put her off for a while. But I got it finished last week, and she picked it up this morning.

I could not have imagined a better reception! She was so excited that she was actually bouncing around, and her DH was astonished - he'd been envisioning something muted and dull - a "granny" quilt (his words, not mine).

The book is "Flip Flop Block Quilts" by Kathie Alyce, and it can be purchased alone, or with the acrylic template. She has traceable patterns in the book if you don't want to buy the template. Sorry to be long-winded, but credit where it is due.

I used a varigated thread for the quilting, and my "Swirlz" pantograph pattern. I've never found a baby quilt those two won't work on, LOL.

Quilt top:

Close-ups:

Back:

Comments (14)

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I think it looks really cool!!! I have never used variegated sewing thread before, at what stores do you purchase it? Thank you bunches for sharing your beautiful quilt!!!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I love variegated thread~it adds another dimension to the beautiful quilting, as always Mary.
    I like the quilt - the bright colors and contemporary designs are the new generation granny quilt~lol.
    You did a wonderful job. Thanks for the information on the book and templates.
    It feels great when a Client is so happy with our work and creative talents.

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The thread is "Tiny Tuts" from the King Tuts line of threads from Superior Threads. I have bought on line from Hancocks of Paducah, but can often get it at my local quilt shop.

But this latest purchase was a 2000-yard cone, from H of P, which DH bought me for my birthday last year. I've done at least 10 baby quilts (top and bobbin), plus a couple of full-bed sized quilts.

It's a 40 weight thread, so a bit heavier than most machine quilters prefer, but I have no trouble with it at all.

I love this thread! It is a rainbow of bright pastels - yellow, pink, green blue, purple. I haven't found a bright quilt where it wouldn't work.

It is a 40 weight, so a bit heavier than most machine quilters prefer, but I've never had any problems.

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And I clearly had a typing hiccup there, LOL!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Mary, That's a great colorful quilt!

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

A great use of pattern, fabric and color. Congratulations. It's is always wonderful when you sell something that is so enjoyed by the one who buys it.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Mary, I love your quilt. The points where the pieces come together (I'm sure there's a name for this that I don't know yet) are so perfect. I'm wondering what backing you used - a print or a solid? And the variegated thread looks great. Lois

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

I LOVE the thread, AND the quilt! Nice!

Faye

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Good for you! More $$$ to buy more fabric and that great thread!

Teresa

• fran1523
    12 years ago

That is a wonderful baby quilt Mary and I love that pantograph. I will have to ask the long arm rental place I go to to get that for me.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

What a great job. I love your bright colors. And, to find an appreciative audience is priceless.

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Thank you bunches Mary for sharing the info about the thread. Is much appreciated. And again that's a beautiful quilt!!!

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• calliope
    12 years ago

I knew when I saw the title of the thread it was going to be a unique quilt. Not disappointed! Nope.......not a granny quilt. LOL. I am not usually drawn to more modern presentations and large, bold use of fabric........but I certainly like this one. It's beautiful.

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Beautiful quilt!! I can see why she was so excited, too. Congrats on the sale!

Robbi

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!