Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I sold this one!

Posted by mary_c (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 15:54

I had been playing around with some of my bright fabrics, and a Flip-Flop template I bought at the International Quilt Show in Houston last year.

A neighbor came over on Halloween to get hay bales for the hayride, and my studio was open. She came in, spied the top (which was quite small), and offered to buy it no matter how long it took me to finish it.

Well, family was visiting from Japan, and I had to put her off for a while. But I got it finished last week, and she picked it up this morning.

I could not have imagined a better reception! She was so excited that she was actually bouncing around, and her DH was astonished - he'd been envisioning something muted and dull - a "granny" quilt (his words, not mine).

The book is "Flip Flop Block Quilts" by Kathie Alyce, and it can be purchased alone, or with the acrylic template. She has traceable patterns in the book if you don't want to buy the template. Sorry to be long-winded, but credit where it is due.

I used a varigated thread for the quilting, and my "Swirlz" pantograph pattern. I've never found a baby quilt those two won't work on, LOL.

Quilt top:

Flip Flop quilt

Close-ups:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Back:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I sold this one!

I think it looks really cool!!! I have never used variegated sewing thread before, at what stores do you purchase it? Thank you bunches for sharing your beautiful quilt!!!

Best to you,
Sandra

o

I love variegated thread~it adds another dimension to the beautiful quilting, as always Mary.
I like the quilt - the bright colors and contemporary designs are the new generation granny quilt~lol.
You did a wonderful job. Thanks for the information on the book and templates.
It feels great when a Client is so happy with our work and creative talents.

o

The thread is "Tiny Tuts" from the King Tuts line of threads from Superior Threads. I have bought on line from Hancocks of Paducah, but can often get it at my local quilt shop.

But this latest purchase was a 2000-yard cone, from H of P, which DH bought me for my birthday last year. I've done at least 10 baby quilts (top and bobbin), plus a couple of full-bed sized quilts.

It's a 40 weight thread, so a bit heavier than most machine quilters prefer, but I have no trouble with it at all.

I love this thread! It is a rainbow of bright pastels - yellow, pink, green blue, purple. I haven't found a bright quilt where it wouldn't work.

It is a 40 weight, so a bit heavier than most machine quilters prefer, but I've never had any problems.

o
RE: I sold this one!!!

And I clearly had a typing hiccup there, LOL!

o

Mary, That's a great colorful quilt!

SharonG/FL

o

A great use of pattern, fabric and color. Congratulations. It's is always wonderful when you sell something that is so enjoyed by the one who buys it.

o

Mary, I love your quilt. The points where the pieces come together (I'm sure there's a name for this that I don't know yet) are so perfect. I'm wondering what backing you used - a print or a solid? And the variegated thread looks great. Lois

o

I LOVE the thread, AND the quilt! Nice!

Faye

o

Good for you! More $$$ to buy more fabric and that great thread!

Teresa

o

That is a wonderful baby quilt Mary and I love that pantograph. I will have to ask the long arm rental place I go to to get that for me.

o

What a great job. I love your bright colors. And, to find an appreciative audience is priceless.

o

Thank you bunches Mary for sharing the info about the thread. Is much appreciated. And again that's a beautiful quilt!!!

Best to you and many thanks,
Sandra

o

I knew when I saw the title of the thread it was going to be a unique quilt. Not disappointed! Nope.......not a granny quilt. LOL. I am not usually drawn to more modern presentations and large, bold use of fabric........but I certainly like this one. It's beautiful.

o

Beautiful quilt!! I can see why she was so excited, too. Congrats on the sale!

Robbi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here