Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

Where is Everyone??

ritaweeda
9 years ago

Did you all drop off the earth?? Anyway if anyone is still there, I've completed and sandwiched a quilt, it's all different colors. I've quilted colorful quilts before but was wondering what color thread do you use when the quilt is all different colors? There is an overall dark fabric for the sashing and columns but all the blocks are all different colors from deep orange to purple to yellow to deep pink and brilliant blue. The sashing and columns are black with a small pattern of green and brilliant blue. I read where the best color for these quilts is a light gray but I would have to buy it. But I have to buy thread anyway.

Comments (18)

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

I use a colorless, transparent thread made by Sulky. It's always hard when you have lots of bright colors so I cheat and go for the filiment stuff. It's hard to see to trim or thread the needle but worth it in the long run.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I'm working a lot till they change the hours and I won't work at all. Feast or fammin around here.

I would use a light gray if you have it. That seems to blend in best for me.

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I always thought khaki was the color that blends with everything.
    I lay the quilt on the floor, and unwind different colors across the quilt, walk away, and look again. Pick the thread that blends the best.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

It's that time of year when there's is no spare moment!

I'd go with the lite gray or the translucent; however another option could be a
    Neutral,but varigated thread...king tut has some interesting selections that might add a nice touch to the FMQ.

V.

• polardream
    9 years ago

OMGosh - I have just been swamped and hardly on my computer at all! I've been subbing at my old school, busy with Lions club, church volunteer work, shopping for our adopt-a-family! We need to get ready to leave for the winter in the RV. We are going to Arizona for Christmas then heading south to Cabo in Mexico until mid-March. Have I even started packing anything??? NO! I also decided to make a quilt for my great-nephew for Christmas ... top is pieced and I need to sandwich & quilt it this week to mail. PHEW ....

I would also look at a variegated thread. I also do what Marsha does and spread the quilt out and "preview" several colors. Post pictures when you get finished!!!

Sue

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I use a light, dove gray if I want the quilting thread to blend. I'm not a fan of the transparent thread because I find it hard to work with; that's probably because of my arthritic hands tho and not the fault of the thread.

I know I haven't been here much lately and I miss you all! It's just a crazy time of year for me; Mid-Sept through mid-December typically includes multiple trips; some for fun and some for business. I don't travel as much as Jackie does, but enough so life gets disrupted. All my quilting time happens on weekends and when you are traveling then everything else has to get crammed into the weekends too. No time seems to be left over for sewing.

Kate
    (4 years, 2 months, and 0 days until retirement... but who's counting.)

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Not having seen the quilt, I don't know if this is an appropriate suggestion, but black quilting might be an option. It would definitely show on the colors, but that might be a look that you like. Kind of like the lead around the colors in a stained glass window. Just a thought.

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

When I many colors I try and find a variegated that matches. I try and keep a light and a darker one in my stash. I also lay a sample of different one on the quilt like Marsha. Depends on the look your after. I am not a fan of the clear thread as it seems stiffer to me but that is personal opinion.

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LQS was all out of grey multi-color so I got a warm light grey solid. Thanks for all the suggestions. I also got one of those Bohnin chalk mechanical pencils, I'm always looking for the perfect marker. I started quilting yesterday and was so upset. The blocks have curved pieces (a combination of Drunkard's Path and Wagon Wheel blocks). I thought I had been very careful to double-check the piecing to make sure there were no open seams but unfortunately not well enough. So now I will have to hand-stitch some areas - they are all in the curved sections. If I ever do another curved piece project I am going to over-size them and make the seam 1/2 or 3/8 inch instead of 1/4 inch. Live and learn! I'm also wondering who invented the pressing seams to one side rule, I'm pondering whether it would be better to break that rule so that this would be noticed easier BEFORE making the quilt sandwich!

• calliope
    9 years ago

I've not been quilting since I finished the queen sized puff quilt in June. I tried to get back in the mood and started working up a mock cathedral windows out of recycled jeans but decided I didn't enjoy it enough to commit to it and may make a purse out of the size that's already finished. I tried dropping in a few times in the interim but when I commented to a post, the threads just died so figured nobody even noticed I'd gone missing for six months. Still not inspired to start another quilting project with lots of other stuff in the fire. Wondering if the thirty some bed sized quilts in six year's time (with only sending one out for the quilting part of it) just didn't burn me out. If so, hope it's just temporary.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Calliope, Don't feel bad about the threads you posted on dying out. They pretty much all do no matter who posts on them. A lot of times I don't respond if there isn't anything different to add or I have no clue about that area of quilting. And, yes, you very well could be burned out for now and need a bit of time to regroup. Maybe think about making a smaller quilt for charity instead of the big ones. This time of year usually slows down in the sewing room as families are getting together and Christmas shopping/recipes/wrapping/decorating are at the top of the list. Except, not mine. :-)

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Calliope, I did wonder where you were. Glad to see you back. even if you aren't quilting please add your voice of experience to posts.
    Theresa

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Calliope, I have missed your posts but understand your situation. There are seasons in life and we need to flow with it. I've had times where I just wasn't interested, whether it's quilting or any other of the myriad of interests I've had over the years. I used to make stained-glass windows and was completely immersed in it and then it just faded away. (One reason is that I got lead poisoning from it.) It's also a very difficult hobby to have if you don't have the proper space to do it in. Not counting the expense. I also was painting landscapes, then when I got cataracts I couldn't and when the cataracts were repaired it had been so long I felt like I couldn't do it anymore. Maybe I'll try it again, I've still got all the supplies. I hope you do return to quilting but if not, hopefully you will find something just as fulfilling to take it's place.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Calliope, I've missed you, too! I used to sew all my clothes (and many of DH's), but then it somehow got really hard to get things to fit and I turned to quilting. I keep thinking I should try sewing clothes again but haven't tried it yet. :)

Donna

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I thought you were in the garden or canning and preserving the fruits of your labour. That is a lot of work and doesnt leave much time for other things. So take it easy for a while, the urge will return.
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I'm living in a house under construction. So until I get my sewing room set up, I won't be online much.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• meldy_nva
    9 years ago

Calliope, I missed you. Actually, I've missed everyone here. I'm still using the library computer, and they aren't open when I have time to just sit with the computer - that's usually around 5 a.m. :).

I'm still slogging on the out-of-my-box quilt; not just that I'm not fond of stitch the ditch, but there's a lot of white sashing, and I guess I'm more than a bit bored with it. I'm not sure how I ended up with a full-size quilt -- I know to make a placemat or lap-robe first when playing with an experimental pattern. Really, I do know, but this quilt just seemed to expand when I wasn't looking.

DH is 80 and his memory is deteriorating, so I have to constantly be on the alert --- sometimes he knows what he's doing and sometimes he doesn't. He's happy but sometimes I'm just too tired to even look at the sewing machine, much less sit down and stitch.

Anyway, I'm glad to see so many new quilts finished and new projects underway. Keep up the good work - because sooner or later I'll be looking to see what you've done.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Meldy, I hope you are able to get some respite care for your DH. My FIL cared for MIL with Alzheimer's for many years and we had to make sure he got some respite care so he could rest and have some down time.

Donna

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA