Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

Another IFFI bites the dust (pic)

toolgranny
13 years ago

Finally finished and off the table. It still gets some beading but that won't show in the photo anyway so will post this now before I forget. Dark green is hand dyed but didn't have enough for the binding. I know it should have Xmas colors on the border but wanted to hang it other times of the year. Maybe next one will have more red. I's about 5' square.

Linda in Calif.

Comments (20)

• sunnycentralfl
    13 years ago

Oh, Linda, that is beautiful! Great job! The colors are georgeous. How splendid! Feels good to get a project done, doesn't it?

All the Best to You and Yours!

Gwen

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

That's gorgeous, I think I'd like to try the Celtic Applique someday.

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

OMG!!!!! Linda in Calif this is amazing!!!!! You have to explain the technique for this one young lady!!!!
    Rosa

• wynative
    13 years ago

Yes Linda - Please explain! It is gorgous :D

Marie

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Awesome job!

• imrainey
    13 years ago

That is stunning work! Did you work from a pattern? It's a lovely design.

I've never done bias tape applique. Is it hard to get such crisp flowing lines? Did you use bias bars? I don't see the slightest variation in your figures or the width of your lines. Most impressive!

• imrainey
    13 years ago

You could make a nice showy red bow and pin it on from the back for the Christmas season and then remove it for display the rest of the year.

That's going to be such a showpiece for St. Patrick's Day.

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

WOW! Beautiful! Celtic Applique is on my "bucket list". What an inspiring piece.
    Thanks for sharing.

• day2day
    13 years ago

Linda, it is beautiful! I love the green in the celtic design. Wonderful job. TFS.

~Geraldine

• fran1523
    13 years ago

Another stunning piece of work Linda. I like that red bow idea.

• imrainey
    13 years ago

Did you quilt the background and then apply the bias design by hand? Or do you do the applique and then quilt the whole piece?

Just curious if you were able to enhance the wreath concept by the quilting.

BTW, it still takes my breath away a day later. You are one lucky girl to have that to enjoy from now to forever. You must be bursting with pride.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

WOW!!!! That is beautiful! I'd also like some more details on the applique. Is it machine or hand? I love your quilting work in the corners. Just beautiful!!

Robbi

• polardream
    13 years ago

Linda, That is really beautiful! Did I read that correctly that the inside is about 5" square??? If so, that is one tiny piece of applique! Nice work, my friend!
    Sue/polardream

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

A lovily piece of work. My daugher loves Celtic designs. Did you do the applique by hand or on the machine? Either way it is truly beautiful and challenging. TFS Jayne

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I haven't been able to log in for awhile - I'm not ignoring the questions.

Rosa - technique is bias strips sewed onto a background in any shape or arrangement a person wants. Not hard to do.

Rainey - I picked parts of patterns from Celtic designs in a book and made a basic rectangular design. Then I "morphed" one end narrower to made sides tapered. I cut this pattern out of template plastic and marked each motif onto a white background, one at a time.

I didn't use bias bars. I cut 3/4" strips on bias and pulled them through a Clover bias tape maker, ironing as it comes out the other end, to make a 3/8" strip. Remember you cross over and under in spots so it is easy to hide an end and start a new piece of bias.

Jayne - it's appliqued down by hand. One motif takes one evening in front of the TV.

Sue - that's 5 feet across whole quilt, not 5 inches.

So, it's really quite easy. Take a motif you like, taper it in to make it wedge shaped, make a bunch of zerox copies of the motifs and lay them out in wreath shape. When you get the diameter that makes them all fit the way you like, measure distance from center to edge of motif. Then you press or mark center lines, maybe 45 degree lines, whatever locators you need and mark your motifs with a water soluble marker putting motif centerline on pressed lines and inside edge at your specified diameter. Mine are 8-1/2" from center of background to center of motif inside edge.

Any other questions? I'll discuss it directly if someone wants more. E-mail me.

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Your quilt is just beautiful. Gives me something to aspire to. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Linda, You are so talented!!! This is awesome and I love your dyed green fabric! I can see a 'class' at retreat next year being planned. @:)

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Sharon. Have pattern, will travel. Hugs to you and Clay.

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Lovely, lovely Celtic knot work. I doubt if I'd find it so easy, but I'll have to give it a try someday.

• bozogardener
    13 years ago

Simply stunning! I want to do Celtic work someday-I'm just waiting for my applique skills to improve.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida