Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

The girlfriend quilt...

mary_c_gw
12 years ago

I mentioned in LindaOH's post that I was making a quilt for my son's girlfriend. I finished the binding last night, so all that's left is the label.

I used a basketweave pattern in a large size, and once again, I don't want to give it away, LOL.

Comments (16)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

The binding and the variegated thread were perfect choices. Beautiful job. Of course, you had me at 'batiks'! I can understand why you don't want to give this one up.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful - she will love it! This looks like an easy pattern - I need to have some easy designs to keep on hand for when I need a quick quilt (like now).
    Your choice of Batiks, the binding, and of course the quilting makes it very special. Very nice present.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Very nice. She will be thrilled. The binding is just right for the quilt. Nice job as always, especially the quilting. TFS

• salijo
    12 years ago

Beautiful fabrics!!! (I have the same turquoise batik....it's just so pretty!)

Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Oooooohhhhhh....I never thought about making this with larger size blocks......and with Batiks! What's not to love? Gorgeous!

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I love the colors. And, batiks are always stunning. Good job.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Beautiful! If she doesn't love it....well....maybe she's not the 'right' girlfriend? But I'm sure she will love such a gorgeous quilt. Your color choices are wonderful.

Teresa

• fran1523
    12 years ago

Complimentary colors in gorgeous batiks. Beautiful.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Mary, for the binding-How wide did you cut each strip of the 2 different fabrics? I'm assuming you used your method of cutting/seaming straight grain strips before cutting on the bias to make french binding. Do you determine the spacing to keep the color spaces even when joining the tails?

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Mary, the quilt is lovely. I was especially taken by your binding. I assumed it was just pieces sewn together on the diagonal as I do all my bindings, but Marsha's post makes me think otherwise. Can you explain the process, please. I also was thinking how precise your calculations must be for joining. Wonderful job!

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the compliments!

Marsha, I'm sure there is some way to crunch the numbers and have it all work out - but I'm much too lazy to even attempt it. I've had it serendipitously work out occasionally, but it didn't for this quilt. The binding ends are joined with a straight seam at the center bottom, because diagonals didn't work out, and it left roughly the same amount of red showing.

In this case I used the same strip width (6.5") as I used in the blocks, mainly because they were already cut, LOL, and that was the absolute end of the red fabric.

Loisf, I use bias binding 98% of the time, but you could actually do it with straight of grain, joined as you suggest. But that's a whole lot more seams, and more waste.

I have some photos of how I do the binding. I lay the strips out, staggering them so I have very little waste.

Laying the strips out:

Trimming and cutting:

Joining:

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Thanks Mary - I looked very good to find where you joined the seams, and could not see it - good idea to use a straight seam to make it work. I was thinking of using this on my Goodbye Irene quilt, since I'm not sure I have enough of the inner border to use as the binding. Combining the the inner and outer border will solve the problem easily and add some interest - thanks!
    I really like your quilt. If she doesn't like it......maybe she isn't the right girlfriend.......quote from Teresa - spoken only as a Mother of Son(s) can speak!!!!!hahahaha

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Very clever, Mary. Thanks for the excellent pictures. I can't wait to have the opportunity to use this idea on one of my quilts. Lois

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Great job on the quilt Mary! Two colors I wouldn't think would go together, but I think it looks awesome. I think I have some of the turquoise batik. I appreciate the binding tutorial too!

What are your block sizes on the basket weave?

Rebecca

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Rebecca!

The large strips are cut 6.5", the white strips are cut 1.5". Then the strip sets are cut into 8.5" blocks, so they finish at 8". The inner white border is 1", and the outer border is 6".

I think the basketweave effect is much more pronounced with a smaller block and dark sashing, but I like this effect also.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

This larger block really works better with the batiks.

I bought this same Batik at Mary Jo's as a wide backing in a hunter green, burgundy, dark gold - very intense warm color combo. I'm going to have leftovers - it would make up in this design for a nice fall quilt. Thanks!