Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

Bluework Snowmen

rosajoe_gw
10 years ago

So excited that I am finishing the last of the bluework. I have learned so much and still have a long way to go lol. I used a soft pencil to transfer the design , thank goodness it washes out, some of my transfers were pathetic and I had to erase and go over them again. Slow down and do it right the first time.

Ready to start piecing the blocks and hoping I have the fabrics in my stash!

I used DMC embroidery thread on this one just 'cause I had it on hand. I took my gift card and bought Sulky's 12 weight for the next ones.

Thanks to everyone for posting their tips on hand embroidery. It is my brand spanking new addition lol!
Rosa

Comments (23)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Oh! Oh! Oh!
    Beautiful.
    I haven't embroidered in ages but this is inspiring.

Theresa

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, I had drooled over this pattern for years before I finally started it. There are so many mistakes but I am ready to make another one. I love all of Crabapple Hill designs and the Vintage Halloween is next on my list. I don't normally make holiday quilts 'cause it's so much work to just use them for about a month.
    This is the one that started my addiction lol!

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I'm glad you did the close-up of the candy cane line. It is adorable!!! I think someone had something similar a couple years ago with a snowman (snowperson?) hanging mittens on a line.

My great-aunt Julia - the wonderful woman who taught me to quilt - did stitchwork like this and made a series of dish towels with little Dutch kids doing a variety of chores. In my youth I didn't appreciate them nearly enough. I still have one stuck in a cedar chest somewhere but the others are gone.

Kate

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Uhm, is that how you spell 'wonderland'??

Just kidding! made you all look, though, didn't I?? LOL

This is truly impressive and wonderful! I love decorating with snowmen because you can keep them up/out for much longer than Santa/reindeer... December thru February, at least.

I think someone in my guild did this in red and it turned out great. The quilting on it was truly stunning! I'm sure yours will be too!!

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

An ambitious work of love. Your little friends turned out very nicely and will be a great addition to your holidays. I like blue work better then red work for some reason. Did a few things in Red a few years ago but nothing as extensive as yours. Looking forward to Halloween......TFS

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

Your bluework is beautiful! Be sure to show us your Halloween embroidery when you have it finished. Can't wait to see it.
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Love it, Rosa!!

I saw a good sized reverse redwork of poinsettias in a vase awhile back that was exquisite! So, you can think about doing a reversal too. Orange on black???? whew! :-)

SharonG/FL

• MiMi
    10 years ago

That is lovely!...I love hand embroidery and am currently working on a set of tea towels for my granddaughter. I know hardly anyone uses tea towels anymore but thought someday she might look at them and have good memories of me. I am doing the 7 days a week pattern of kitties and making the kitties the same color as her orange tabby cat "Gary"...
    How are you going to what would you call it "quilt" the layers together?... can you tell I am not a quilter but I dream of it someday!....

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Very nice Rosa,i used to do a lot of embroidery,mostly the flower sack dish towels.I still have a couple that are over 20 years old.I still have a bunch of aunt martha's transfers as well.

These days i do mostly cross stitch,with some sewing/quilting thrown in.
    Kathi

• bev2009
    10 years ago

The blocks are adorable! I agree that it is nice you can use them longer. I haven't embroidered in years. Your quilt makes it tempting to start again.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

This is really adorable. I especially love the snow man making snow angels!

Great work. Can't wait to see the final result.
    LindaB/CA

• day2day
    10 years ago

Rosa, it's lovely! The snowmen are so cute.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Rosa, (whispering) I'm going to ask a very personal question. Shhhhh Can I see the back of your Bluework? Was wondering how you went from little snowflake to little snowflake without the thread showing through or if you began and ended each little one.

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Lovely, Rosa! I love, love, love, hand embroidery like this! Your work is beautiful! I kept scrolling back up after the comments to see what I missed!

Once-upon-a-time I did a crewel embroidery of snowflakes that we hung at my parents vacation home up in Beech Mt. NC. Now I'm thinking a snow themed wall quilt with bluework snowflakes would be such fun to make and.....I could keep it up from early December to March if I wanted.

Teresa

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Rosa~you did a beautiful job~you should be very proud.
    How long did you work on this? I recall a post when you first started it. It looks to me like the blocks are already sewn together - or is it just creases for accuracy? I'd be scared to cut them apart -LOL.
    What are your plans for this masterpiece? Wall hanging or quilt? Too many questions??

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, I have really enjoyed most of it lol! I find had work relaxing.

Jennifer, lol, that was the one thing I knew was right!

Marsha, It's going to be a quilt. I finished all but the very top piece and put it aside 'cause the letters and musical notes intimidated me. The rest of it was much more fun than the top.

Sharon, I have made needlework that was reversible. I really don't know why 'cause it was a belt lol! I crocheted a Tuscan afghan and tried to embroider a floral design on it and it looked so bad on the back I took it apart.

I'll take a pic and post the back. I don't carry, I tie off each small design. The correct way to do embroidery is start and finished by running the ends of the yarn through about 4 of the previous stitches. Yeah right, like I am going to do all of that work and just watch it unravel the first time it's washed lol! I begin mine with small knots and finish with small knots.

I have seen needlework that is as gorgeous on the back as the front, something tells me mine will never be lol! I was having a hard enough time getting the front to look presentable without worrying about the back.
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I love it, especially the snow-woman hanging laundry! Congrats on finishing your bluework. Truly a labor of love.

Best to you and Happy 2014,
    Sandra

• sherryquilts
    10 years ago

I love that - you did a wonderful job!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Love it Rosa!!! Really cute...
    My mother embroidered pillow cases, still have two and one is hanging on the wall.....love this work...I did crewel work and needlepoint years ago..I hope to try this craft in the future.
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Rosa, I'll just bet the back looks as good as the front does! I cannot imagine knotting each little flake. WOW!!!! Awesome!

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    10 years ago

I love redwork, and I love embroidered quilts, and I expected to love your bluework snowpeople, and I do. It's just perfect.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Rosa, your bluework is adorable. I can't wait to see what you will do with the blocks. Please hurry! Lois

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

WOW! The blue on white snowflakes are truly stunning! (I've been watching too much Master Chef ;) )

I really don't have room to add to 'my list' but maybe just a small wall hanging....

Inspiring

Faye

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert