Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Oct-Dec: Sewing Wasteland

K8Orlando
10 years ago

For the second year in a row, I've gotten almost no sewing done in the last quarter of the year. I guess from now on I should just plan for that and cram as much as possible into the rest of the year. Commitments to work, family and the neighborhood didn't leave any time for sewing or even, it seems, for talking about sewing. Yuk! I've missed the forum and am glad to be back among you.

Lotto update:
Littlehelen and I will be doing the Lotto for 2014. I hope to get the January info posted on (or shortly after) January 1st. We'll be posting the other blocks well in advance of their months so you can get started on those whenever you have time.

Personal update
- I did finish off one quilt - the Iris & Peony one started at Retreat. It went to my SIL Mary whose breast cancer returned in a very big, ugly way this Fall. She had a double mastectomy three weeks ago and says the quilt brought her some comfort.
- I've been working hard, but all my time at work paid off. I've been given a full time assistant (yea!), a raise (yea!), another whole department reports to me, and I received a special recognition award at our national conference. Yeah, I rock. :~))
- DH Jim's job was eliminated in early November and that was devastating, but I'm happy to report that he has already found a more stable job and starts that one on January 2nd. We know we are very lucky.
- We used some of his time between jobs to take a trip 'back home' to visit his 92 year old dad. Just got home yesterday and, again, very thankful we were able to take the time to do that!
- In addition to the Lotto blocks, I'm pretty well organized to get started working on Dear Jane. I'm kicking myself that I didn't have a hand sewing kit for the trip we just took because there would have been lots of time to work on it; it was 22 below zero and being outside wasn't much fun!

I hope you all are well and have been well. I'll spend some time catching up with all the posts to see what you've been up to and what new projects you're working on.

Hugs to all!
Kate

Comments (15)

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

So glad you are back among us. We'll wrap you in our quilting hugs. What better therapy can you ask for.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Welcome back, Kate. We missed you. Glad to hear things are going well with your promotion and your husband's new job. Time to get sewing again. I've not done anything quilty for about 5 or 6 weeks either, but I tidied up my office/sewing room yesterday, and I'm about to start up again. I also have to think about what I need to take to Hawaii this year - some small projects to keep me busy in the evening. Happy new year, everyone.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Sooooo glad you are back!!! I missed you!

Lots of changes for you recently, all good apparently! Now's the time to pick up on your projects and give yourself some much needed and deserved 'me' time! Can't wait to see what you produce.

Did you take a picture of the peony quilt? I'd love to see how it turned out.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a fuzzy picture of the finished quilt.

And here's one of McQueen helping me while I was quilting it:

And here's the label. Littlehelen and Magothyrivergirl may recognize the batik I used for the binding; it's one of the fabrics we bought off the back of a pick-up truck in Pennsylvania.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

turned out lovely!!! TFS

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Welcome back, Kate! I'm sorry to hear about your DHs job, but so glad he found another one! And congratulations on your promotion, etc!

I've been missing your posts. :)

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I missed you too! Thought about you often and I knew you were very busy at work so I didn't bug you. Glad your back!

The quilt is beautiful, I love the fabrics, and your quilting is great. Sorry to hear about Mary, I hope she is recovering.

The forum has been very slow, I think most of us are busy too.
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Way too much 'busy' going around! Time to take back our lives and spend some time doing what we all love: quilting and talking to one another about quilting!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Kate, Thank for the update on your life. I was wondering if you had gone and moved to Alaska or moved in with V. :-) Good to hear things are going well for you and Jim and that you were able to see his dad. Now, time to sew!

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Kate, I'm glad you're back. I've missed the photos of your beautiful quilts and your great advice. I'm looking forward to the Lotto and can't wait to see the blocks you've chosen.

• day2day
    10 years ago

Nice to 'see' you Kate. Happy New Year. Hope it will be a good year for you.

I think of you every time that I insert a link into a post.
    I printed your 'Techno Twinkie Stuff' post and taped it close to my computer.
    It's still there although I no longer need to use it.

All the best.

~Geraldine

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Love the peony quilt, Kate! I want to make that pattern sometime in my lifetime.

Congratulations on your job achievements and the hub's new job.

I haven't been around the forum much either and I'm not getting much quilting done. I did weave two scarves this fall. I changed my fabrics for the wedding quilt for my niece and her new husband and need to buy more fabrics before I can start it. Now.....I have a baby quilt to make for them too! Baby will arrive in July.

We are still doing our Round Robin swap with my guild friends and will swap for the last time in March so we have time to finish our projects for the guild show in the fall.

Happy New Year to all!

Teresa

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

The quilt is so gentle and feminine. The perfect comfort for your sister.

Glad your job and your DH are working out well.

Happy New Year
    LindaB/CA

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear about your SIL Mary - Your peony quilt made a perfect Comfort Quilt -soft, soothing colors & design -- it was meant to be.
    I do remember the pink ribbon fabric you bought. Sadly, we need pieces like this in our stash. The Old Country Store in Intercourse, PA (Lancaster) has recently filed for Bankruptcy and closed abruptly. Follow the link to the story if you are interested - it changed my perception of this 'country store'.
    Glad your life has gotten back on track. You've had some real highs and lows - BTDT -- take advantage of the free time & sew! It is like a mental vacation if you pick a difficult project that requires you to concentrate really hard. :)
    Congrats on the job recognition for all your hard work!

Here is a link that might be useful: Store Bankruptcy

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

Oh, that is sad, but I'm glad I got to go there last fall on my way to retreat.

Faye

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County