Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

Here we go! LOTTO January 2013

toolgranny
11 years ago

I'm posting this early in case people want to get started. I can't imagine anyone having nothing to do but I might forget if I don't.

Lotto January 2013

We'll start our new year with a simple block, but one that will have some impact in a quilt. It's a simple Ohio Star but made with a dark black and white print in the star on a white background (not ivory, please). In the center we use a very bright square. In the samples I used a batik but you could use any bright calico as well. The B&W should be on the dark side for a good value difference.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:
- each month there will be a designated block or theme, you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

- all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

- if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

- all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

- you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in.

Blocks are to be mailed to Valerie. She will arrange the collection and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her a message at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Linda/Toolgranny

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohio Star Block

Comments (45)

• calliope
    11 years ago

Welp, actually I swore I wouldn't do anymore blacks for awhile, since I am just burnt out on the black one I am hand-quilting now, but Ohio Star is one of my favs, and I am in on this one. Just happen to have all the right material in my stash, and it's an easy block with a lot of impact! When I get them done, I'll tell you how many.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Very effective!!!!
    Am considering whether to join the lotto this year. I was very lucky last year (twice) but I guess sending the blocks on to Canada presents a problem. The March blocks took two months and I have not received the August blocks yet.
    I know managing the Lotto takes a lot of time and energy and Kate did do a wonderful job on the whole. Just my little rant!
    Theresa
    And yes, I probably will send in some blocks.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Beautiuful. Now I'll have to resist the urge to make a quilt out of everything I try!

• polardream
    11 years ago

What a great choice! Love the color combo and the block ... not sure how many I will get done, but I will participate!
    Sue

• calliope
    11 years ago

"Beautiuful. Now I'll have to resist the urge to make a quilt out of everything I try!" Exactly, and that's what has happened here. In fact, several of the lottos I'd anticipated joining, I scarfed up the blocks I'd made and made a quilt instead. LOL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I really like the color combo on this block. I have some white on black left over from another project and think there's enough for a few of these. Don't count me in until they're done, though.

Sending an email to Valerie in a few minutes.....

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And, my mistake - it's actually spelled Valarie.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I had a lot of fun making Lotto blocks this year. It was an encouragement to try out different patterns. I will definitely join in again this year.

• patti60
    11 years ago

haven't done the lotto for awhile so will do them again this year. will do 1 or 2 will see how it goes.

• patti60
    11 years ago

haven't done the lotto for awhile so will do them again this year. will do 1 or 2 will see how it goes.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Well I had a little time between family holiday visits etc.,so here's my two. I forgot I haven't done quarter square triangles in forever it seemed, the first block I made following the quilter's cache instructions...won't do that again...not for me. Then I got my brain out of the holiday eggnog and remembered to use my easy angle..which I know many disregard, but I'm a avid user; I whipped the second one together in half the time and it went together so much easier. Thanks Linda...I needed the quilt wake up call :-)!

I may do one more w/ a different black and white fabric since these two are the same, I wasn't thinking too clearly...it was the eggnogs fault!

Looking forward to seeing more blocks from everyone...Hope you are all having a wonderful holiday season!!!

V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Yeah, sure, it's the fault of the eggnog.......

Nice job on the blocks, anyway. :-)

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Eggnog ingredients: 6 egg yolks,2 1/4 C sugar, 1pint heavy whipping cream,2 qts. Half&half, 1t. cinnamon,1/2t. nutmeg,1C Jack Daniel Whiskey, 1C Mount Gay Rum, 1C Presidente Brandy...
    After one or two refreshing nogs...quilting is an adventure :-)
    V.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Do we find this pattern on Quilter's Cache? ..or did I miss where to find it?

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Yes, Ohio Star can be found on the quilter's cache, link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohio Star

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Thanks for the linky, littlehelen

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice blocks Valarie. Send me your mailing address when you get time. Bumping this back to top.

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

I'm just trying to decide if I have time to do this. What is the cut-off date for the blocks and how do I find out where to send them?? I haven't participated before.

Linda

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

- all blocks received by the last day of the month (January) will be included in the lotto drawing

- you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in.

Blocks are to be mailed to Valerie. She will arrange the collection and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her a message at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Just tried to send an e-mail to Valarie but am told the address is not a valid one.
    V., can you e-mail me your address?
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Will send my address to all who requested
    By Friday. Sorry cant send now, getting a hair cut , etc and typing on my phone is a challenge!
    Glad to read u're all joining in... It's a great block!
    V.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Back home again...hair is shorter, gray covered, life is good...
    Theresa, I just checked and my email address is working, you should be able to click on my page and send me an email...if you continue to have problems, please post and let me know....
    V.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Message received. Thanks Valarie. Will mail blocks this weekend.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Linda and Theresa...

Your Blocks arrived and they are fabulous!!! Wow this is going to be an awesome looking quilt for one lucky winner!!!

V.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I haven't participated in a Lotto for a long time so think it is about time to do so!
    I am going to a friend's house on Tuesday for a sewing day and to my guild UFO day on Wed so will make 2 or 3 and send them Thurs or Fri.
    Love Ohio Star and this will be a great quilt with this color combination.

Mary

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

That sounds great Mary...so glad to have you participate!!!

Linda (maritime_linda)Have you decided to join for January?

There's lots of time left, hope to see more blocks coming - this Black / White and bright Ohio Star is really nice.
    V.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I have 3 cut out so will see how they turn out before I confirm a number.

Maryv

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Valarie, I would really like to take part as I think the blocks are quite stunning, but I can't seem to find time to get to my machine lately. I haven't sewed a stitch since Christmas....well, other than patching a pair of pj's that I didn't want to part with! I'm giving myself till the weekend and if I don't have them made by then I won't be taking part. I do plan to make a day-trip stateside possibly next week and could mail them there which would speed up the process. I will email you for your address.

(Maritime) Linda

• polardream
    11 years ago

I'm putting 3 blocks in the mail today, Valarie.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Still quilting on the star quilt and wasn't going to participate, but I really like this block. I will try to make at least one, so I'll need the address to send it to.

LindaB/CA

• buteau3rd
    11 years ago

If we had to sign-up, I missed it.....but will send what I do get done.
    I have been working on a 4 square kaliedascope,(sp?) and need a change. This looks like an easy one......we'll see!
    Marge

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

The blocks went together without incident so I will be sending all three...lol

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This will make someone a striking quilt. Thanks for all your interest.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Little Helen,

Thanks for the easy angle tip. Mine just languishes in the drawer with all my other specialty rulers...a small fortune ;-) It really looks like a great way to go. So far looking for the fabric for these blocks has helped me organize and clean out one corner of my sewing area. The things, not categorized or put away from recent projects were all in a pile. Now they're neatly stowed. Hope to send off some blocks in the next couple of days.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Sue, Your blocks arrived. To all who have submitted thus far...Your blocks are even prettier in person!!!...
    I feel like a kid in a candy shop...all these pretty blocks! OMG...this is fun :-)

Great selection Linda!

V.

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

Will be making my block today & should reach you by the end of the month
    Kristene

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Mailed my 3 blocks today. You should have them by tuesday or wednesday.

maryv

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Have 2 blocks. I would have done another, but as it was I had to use the same black and white for both as most of my b/w was black on white background and I didn't think the contrast was good enough. I will be in Calais, Maine on Wed. and will mail them from there in order to get them to you faster, Valarie.

Linda

This post was edited by maritime_linda on Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 20:56

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Finally off to mail my block. Couldn't stop quilting and didn't want to change the foot, so today I set up my other machine for a while.

Read something lately that said due to so much machine quilting it wasn't necessary anymore to press seams to one side. Since I never know quite how to press without a pattern I decided to try it. Hope that doesn't present a problem to any hand quilters. Please let me know.

Purple is lighter than it appears. Overcast today.

LindaB/CA

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Didnt think I'd have time to get these done, but...I was lucky!! I liked the pattern...a nice easy one for me. Now I have to get the correct address and mail them off!!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

The stars are shinning for one fortunate quilter!!!...make 'em and mail'em for the January lotto.
    (If you mail them this week, just let me know so I'll keep an eye out for your package before the drawing).

V.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Valarie, what a good idea to post a photo of all the blocks. They look great, and it's very inspiring. I wish now that I had participated, but with vacations and getting ready for vacations, I was afraid to commit. Lucky quilter who gets these beauties!

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Wow!! they ARE pretty! Mine will be mailed tomorrow, but I'll send an email once they have actually been posted.

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Once the last have arrived, we will do our drawing and post our winner. Valarie works Friday so expect an announcement on Saturday. These will make someone a nice quilt.

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

This was an outstanding block and colour choice. They are all beautiful! Mine are winking back at me. ;-)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler