Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

Photo of My Grandma's Quilt

quiltingfox
11 years ago

I completed my Grandma's queen-size, garden-themed quilt yesterday. For the binding I used the Leah Day method except I sewed it by hand instead of on the machine and I did flush square seams instead of diagonal using WOW fabric. This was the first time I used her method and I really like it so will definitely be using that method of binding on future quilts. Thank you bunches to quiltpartner, chrizty, and lindaruzicka for making beautiful blocks for my Grandma's quilt. I will be taking this quilt to my Grandma early January and it will be her Christmas present. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Peaceful New Year.

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 16:37

Comments (19)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Is this the one you've been hand quilting? It's beautiful! I know your grandma will love it!

Donna

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Donna! Yes, this is the one I have been hand-quilting since July. I am really happy with the way it turned out. When I finished the binding on it yesterday I washed it on normal cycle (same as what I use for towels) to wash the fabric ink out of the border and it held up beautifully and came out of the wash fully intact, I like my quilts to be durable. Can't wait to give it to her! :-)

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 16:39

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

She will be so proud of you and you bet her friends will be envious. What a wonderful gift. Good job.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Congratulations on finishing your lovily quilt. A real sence of accomplishment and I know your grandmother will be very proud and happy with her loving gift. Merry Christmas.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all and have a Merry Christmas!

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 16:40

• graanieb
    11 years ago

What a beautiful quilt, your gramma will love and treasure it, great accomplishment Sandra. Merry Christmas to you all.

Bea

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bea and you have a Merry Christmas too!

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    quiltingfox

• fran1523
    11 years ago

How beautiful. It's so bright and cheerful. Your grandma will love it and you too.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Cheerful and beautiful. The perfect gift!

• cindykg23
    11 years ago

Sandra,

You did a beautiful job! I have loved seeing the stages as you worked on this quilt:)Your grandmother will be so thrilled! I would love to see her reaction when you give it to her.

Safe travels! And enjoy your extended holidays! :)

~Cindy

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you fran and quiltnhen. Thank you bunches Cindy! When I showed the blocks to her before assembling them into a quilt her favorite block was the hand-qpplique that you made Cindy. We just got back from our RV trip late yesterday. At some point during the next couple of weeks we are going to celebrate Christmas with my family and Grandma and I can't wait to see the reaction on her face once she sees it fully completed. Thank you bunches to everyone who made blocks for her quilt!

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    quiltingfox

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Very lovely ~ so happy for you that you got it finished in time. She will treasure this forever, I'm sure.

Most of my quilt bindings are machine sewn onto the back and flipped to the front and I machine stitch right on the edge of the binding. Similar to Leah Day's method except reversed. I find a double bias is easier using this method opposed to the straight of grain binding.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks bunches Marsha. I am hoping to go to my Grandma's next weekend and take her the quilt then. On my next quilt I want to learn how to do the diagonal seam on the binding.

Best to you and happy New Year!,
    quiltingfox

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My Grandma loves the quilt and especially likes the green background butterfly applique block that LindaR made and her favorite was the center block of the quilt that Cindy hand appliqued. My aunt who taught me how to quilt came by and saw the quilt and loved it as well. Thank you all bunches for making this such a memorable moment in my life and that of my grandma's.

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 16:41

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ending story. It is a lovely quilt and she will think of you every time she uses it.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful Sandra, I love anything hand quilted!!!!
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you bunches Bev and Rosa!

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 16:42

• jaceysgranny
    11 years ago

Very pretty! I love the spring look of it.

• chrizty
    11 years ago

Sorry I thought I posted here!
    Love it Sandra! You did a awesome job as always :)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County