Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

Destashing? Looking for ideas on where to sell extra fabric.

rivkadr
12 years ago

This is not intended as spam; I'm just looking for some help or ideas.

Here's the issue -- I have a TON of fabric (seriously, it fills an entire room), and I really need to start making some space (my Mother in Law is moving in with us sometime soon, and my fabric room is going to become her room. :( I'm trying to stay positive about all this). And frankly, we could use a little extra money to make the necessary changes to the house for her arrival. So I'm trying to sell off as much of the fabric as I can. Things I've tried:

- Ebay

- Craigslist

- artfire/zibbet

- destash groups on Facebook

And I've managed to get rid of some of it, but not nearly enough. Right now I'm selling it all at what I bought it for, or less, and I recognize I may have to eventually lower my prices even more, but am hoping some of you may know of some other venues to try selling it at first. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else to try?

Comments (16)

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

you might try contacting your local quilt guild and see if they would be interested in working with you to arrange a 'yard sale'.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Sell it on your website? I see you have a buy/sell section there.

I think eBay & Craigslist are your best bet for selling it.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Garage sales advertised on craigs list that mentions fabric and sewing implements. Advertise same sale in local guild newsletter (perhaps for a small fee). The quilters will come to you. Cut to even pieces out, wash and then bundle and tape around each showing yardage and price. You won't get more than half of what you paid for it, though. This might reduce your stash but you won't make much money.

• salijo
    12 years ago

(There are destash groups on Facebook????)

• polardream
    12 years ago

Salijo - I didn't know there was a destach group on Facebook but this is the link:

Looks like lots of stuff is kids clothes, but there are some fabric listing.

Interesting!
    Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Destash on Facebook

• rivkadr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sell it on your website? I see you have a buy/sell section there.

One has to have visitors to actually sell to ;) I haven't been giving that site any of my attention, and have had better luck elsewhere.

I had thought of holding a yard sale, but my concern is that people will come expecting to buy it for super cheap. I figure it's worth a shot, though -- worst that happens is I just waste some of my time. I've been selling online at $4 a yard -- do you think people will pay that much at a yard sale, or is that going to be wishful thinking?

salijo, there are a bunch of destash groups on FB! The two that seem fabric focused that I joined are:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/117707118248419/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/278496635500453/

There's also a bunch of fabric selling groups on Yahoo Groups, too. They're dangerous places to visit, though!!!

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Are you allowed to list it for sale here?

beverly

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I don't think so beverly,although i don't know why.I belong to a cross stitch site and we're allowed to sell our personal stuff,to swap,trade etc as long as it doesn't involve our moderator,it's between the 2 or more people involved,we email each other pictures and lists,and it goes very well.
    Kathi,who also has stuff for sale.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

If you have any homespun I would be interested in it. Hint, hint.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I think the main reason selling isn't allowed here is that once it starts it's hard to control. I agree with Kathi though, that what happens between consenting adults through email is their own business! LOL

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Possibly, when the Exchange gets set up, items could be surreptitiously listed as available and anyone interested could contact the poster and work out details through email. *grin*

SharonG/FL

• fran1523
    12 years ago

I didn't know "destashing" was a word. Leave it to a quilter to get creative regarding their stash. Love it.

• wynative
    12 years ago

Just checked them out on FB - this is going to be fun : )

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

It is permitted to sell fabric/yarn/thread, etc. on Etsy. It now costs .20 for each listing, but you could sell the fabric in lots of say, three pieces. Etsy gets a small percentage when you make a sale as does PayPal, but it really isn't a lot. Look at some examples of shops on Etsy selling fabric. I have linked to the results of a search on "quilting cotton fabrics."

You do need to be able to upload images from a digital camera so buyers can see your fabrics.

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy, results of quilting cotton fabrics

• macbeaner
    12 years ago

there's a yahoo group called stashbuster fling it all as well