Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finchelover

Depression quilt pattern & your stash

finchelover
14 years ago

On pattern as this which uses alot of triangles for one 12 inch square and want to use ones stash do you blend whatever,make the main triangle to blend together so it will pop out. I have stash but not that much. Help! and Thank you.

Comments (14)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

I think the main idea is to make sure that 1 square reads darker than the other. That way, you have lights and darks to make various patterns with. I chose this one for the BD block swap except using all white/WOW and jewel tones.

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    14 years ago

I always use my stash when making depression block quilts. Like Sharon said, just be careful and make sure there is a light and dark paired for the squares. Also, I don't use triangles, I use squares, sew diagonally and cut in half. I just hate bias edges.

Here is my black/white one:

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: easy HSTs

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

I made one using tans and blues for my husband. I love this block! So easy. I have plans to make my daughter one too.

• bozogardener
    14 years ago

I love the way the triangles go out into the border, Rebecca! Beverly, the black and white one is striking, and I like the way the corners sort of "disappear".

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

How I match up fabrics very often depends on the look I'm going for.
    A good stash can take you far but if you aren't feeling comfortable with what you have then either do a smaller version of the quilt or wait and till you've added to your stash so you are comfortable with what you have to work with.
    I've bought fabrics in the past for a particular quilt and then have waited as much as a year or more to find the right companion fabrics for that same quilt. In the mean time I use my time on quilts I have the fabric for.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Both those quilts shown are Gorgeous!!! TFS
    Kathi

• finchelover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

grammyp and Cannahavanna I love your guilts. Now since I seen them I probably will make one since my daughter did like the pattern,your designs just popped right out and I love them. Thanks.

• csackett
    14 years ago

Cannahavanna, what's the name of that pattern? I've tried to google depression quilts. Thanks, Carolyn

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Carolyn, it is the Depression Block from Quilter's Cache. Mine are not 12 inches though. Since I cut left over fabric into 6 inch squares I use those to make the HST's then trim to 5 inches.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilter's Cache

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

I like the fact that both quilts are made with the same block but totally different looks. Both are stricking and nicely put togeather. TFS Jayne

• easystitches
    14 years ago

I love those quilts!!!!
    Amazing what a triangle can do!!
    This is what is so wonderful about quilting, nice job!
    Inspirational! Jill

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Here is another one I made. Didn't get a good picture of it, but the pattern shows well.

{{!gwi}}

beverly

• fran1523
    14 years ago

Here's one I made with aqua scraps and cream on cream.

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

WOW! What awesome variations. That why I love this block, plus it is easy to make.