Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Cutting turntable

loisflan
12 years ago

I have a 50% off coupon for Jo-Ann Fabrics, and I want to purchase a cutting turntable. Will I be happier buying the 12" or the 24" table? Thanks for your opinion.

Comments (18)

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I think you can never go wrong with buying as large as you can afford to.

I made my own cutting turntable with an old lazy susan & an old mat. It's only about 10" in diameter and too small for me...

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I have the 12" and could not be happier with it. Being small, it fits on the table beside my sewing machine so I can cut, sew, trim, etc. I have much larger non-turning mats on a nearby table, but the little turntable is great!

Kate

• bonica
    12 years ago

I've wondered about these things. Can they take the pressure of holding fabric down? Or do you have to be gentle?
    Bon
    :)

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I didn't know they made such a thing! I don't know how often I've walked around my mat trying to hold the ruler still so I could cut a different side. This is awesome!! I think I'll have to see if santa will pick one up for me :-)

Robbi

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Hmmmmm, wondering if 'toolgranny' would tell/show us how to make one that's similar to those sold. *grin*

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I have one I got at JoAnn's, and hardly ever use it. Can't remember what brand it is. The top piece (cutting mat) has a circular piece on the center of the underside that fits into a round hole in the bottom piece. It does not stay together very well. The bottom piece is only about 1/4" thick so the top pops out of the hole very easily.

Bon, you cut one side then turn the board to cut the next side, so you're not pressing down on the board when you turn it.

I'm not sure if that's the type of turntable you're looking at, but a homemade one using a lazy susan like Jennifer has would work better.

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

My lazy susan was solid wood (circle) on it's base, about 12" in diameter. I cut an old mat in roughly a circle to sit on top. I didn't glue the mat in place (hate to completely ruin a lazy susan) but it does alright without moving.

The only drawback I find is that if my block isn't centered on the turntable, the table tilts when I press down with the cutter. This is because a lazy susan sits higher than the real tool.

It works well for squaring up HSTs, but isn't large enough for completed blocks. It also works when I use my circular cutting templates.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

" I think I'll have to see if santa will pick one up for me :-)" - Robbi, that's how I got mine! Santa brought it for me 2 years ago.

"Can they take the pressure of holding fabric down? Or do you have to be gentle? " - Bon, I can press on mine just like on a regular mat. The top fits easily and nicely into the bottom; I don't have trouble with it popping out of place or being unstable. Maybe that's a problem with the larger ones, but the 12" is great.

Kate

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

I have the 12 inch mat that I bought when working on the DWR. I had tons of arcs to trim and it was a great help. If you are cutting small blocks the 12 inch is fine. It's not quite big enough to square up a 12.5 inch block. That is when a larger mat would be better.JMHO
    Linda OH

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

I have the 17" Olfa and I always forget about having it! So, I don't really use it much. I would rather have the smaller 12 inch because when I rotate it, the corners bump into me.

Rebecca

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Donna, Now that I think about it, I think Salijo must have one like you have as it kept popping off the button when in use.

I really don't understand why any size or shape mat cannot be attached to a piece of heavy cardboard or lightweight plywood and just turned around as needed. I was playing around and put a circle mat on a square piece of cardboard and have ended up using it quite a bit.....wish I had made it square and larger.

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Sharon will laugh. I did try to make one but the turntable bearing I used made it so moveable I didn't feel like it would hold still. If it moves unexpectedly, you could cut yourself. So, I just went back to a mat small enough I could turn it around on the table without bumping into things.

• loisflan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I think my dilemma is solved. The table I cut on is up against a wall and it's only 28" deep. This means I cannot spin a 24" square turntable on it. If I can find a 17" one like Rebecca's, that seems the solution. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to go with the 12".

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. As always, this forum is a great resourse. Lois

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Linda (toolgranny), I knew if there was an easy way to make it, it would be perfect and worth it, you would find a way. LOL Yep, my thoughts exactly, turn the mat without bothering with a turntable. I keep mine under the table-top ironing board next to the sewing table

Lois, Cut a piece of paper into a large circle and see how big of a one you can swivel without touching the wall. That will give you an idea of the largest size square you'll be able to work on.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Late to the party - I agree with everything Kate said. Same positive experience with the 12" mat. It is also very good for taking to classes, as you tend to work at a snail's pace on detail. It is also very good for Paper Piecing. If you are only going to buy one small mat - this is the one to buy and leave next to your sewing machine. The turning radius of the larger mat means you need to have an unobstructed area to turn the mat (you need to be very neat and have lots of space :).

I also tried to make one. You can buy lazy susan ball bearing discs at the hardware store in various sizes. I have made them for all my TV's matching the footprint of the base. The problem with the cutting mat, is the pressure from cutting distributes the weight unevenly & tips the mat, as Linda said, and it is dangerous.
    My advice - use the 50% off coupon & buy this one as your only small mat. I love mine.

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

I am pretty sure I bought my 17" at JoAnn's. Either there or Hobby Lobby.

Rebecca

• lola99
    12 years ago

I also have the 12 inch and I like it a lot. Particularly when cutting curved pieces, but also to square up HSTs or other small pieces.

I agree with Rebecca's comments, even the 12 inch sometimes bumps into things when I turn it.

Lola

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

I have the 17" rotating mat. I love it!

Yes, there was a slight learning curve (don't lean in too close or you'll hit your belly, and it's time to lose some weight!). But my learning curve was more about remembering to turn the thing, instead of contorting myself to cut that other side, LOL.

I haven't had any trouble with it "popping out" of the holder.