Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

Three Wedding Quilts

karpet
13 years ago

I finally finished with the two wedding quilts that I thought I would have done in October, but they ended up creating their own saga - and just as I was beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I found out I needed a third wedding quilt. So the first two are based on a pattern by Pam Bono and the third is the10 minute block by Suzanne McNeill. Sorry I cut off the edges, but I couldn't back up any more without going off the porch!

Karlene

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u121/karlenemor/Quilts/dizzyquiltwithhands.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u121/karlenemor/Quilts/mathquilt.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (22)

• karpet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry - don't know how to do more than one pic per post!

• karpet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

and the last

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Karlene, they are all beautiful! Congratulations on finishing them all. The pattern for the first 2 is very striking and unusual.

Donna

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Honestly? #2 and #3 are fabulous. #1 kinda hurts my head! I do like the roses on #1, though--something about them just stuck on there off to one side tickles me to death. I thought at first they were velcro toss balls that were just sticking to a rough wool (another idea that might be handy in a wedding quilt, for after the honeymoon when you really do want to throw things.) Is there a story behind those roses?

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Very nice! I especially like the layout of the bow-tie design in #3. Makes a very striking quilt and only we know how easy it was!

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Beautiful gifts! I'm sure they will be appreciated and treasured.

Kate

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Karlene,
    Let me know if you want instructions on posting multiple photos.
    Kate

These are the 3 quilts Karlene posted the links to:

• day2day
    13 years ago

Beautiful quilts, Karlene.
    I especially like the Bowtie one. TFS.

~Geraldine

• karpet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Kate! That's much easier to see!

The one with the roses is for a couple at church - the bride is in her 40's and her first marriage, the groom in his 50's and he's divorced. She did a classic black and white wedding, but on the cake there were a few colored roses in pink, purple, and red. I asked her what the significance was and it was in honor of her mom and dad and his mom who have passed away. So I thought I'd incorporate that to make it more personal. The groom's favorite color is red and there was a red ribbon on their invitations so I used red for the border.

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Karlene,
    They are gorgeous!!! Very lucky couples to get a quilt from a Pam Bono design.
    I KNOW how much work goes into those beauties.
    Rosa

• polardream
    13 years ago

WOW! Those are just beautiful! I love the bowtie one the best.
    Good job!
    Sue

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Those are all wonderful. I like the first one the best. It makes such nice secondary shapes. I'm sure they will be treasured.

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Oh! See, I knew there must be a story--and how perfect in the quilt. Thanks for sharing such a nice warm fuzzy!

• karpet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, and the bow-tie used the 10" squares - I needed to make it in a hurry! I did also did a flannel one with 6" squares and that did make it pretty bulky in the middle! I sent that one off already and am hoping the recipient will take a pic for me.

I ran short on the main fabric in both #1 and #2 so that is why a different fabric is used in the center blocks (and a few others!)

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

All three are lovily but I am partial to #2. I feel that it defines that pattern perfectly. I truly like the pattern that you used. Everyone will be more then pleased I know as they are wonderful gifts.
    TFS Jayne

• love2sew
    13 years ago

They are all very beautiful and the couples will surely treasurer them. That 10 minute block certainly wasn't 10 minutes to make. A very nice block.
    Now you can relax and enjoy christmas.

• User
    13 years ago

What beautiful labors of love.

What are you going to do with your time now that you're not strapped to your sewing machine--revel in all the compliments, I hope!

• fran1523
    13 years ago

I like the bowtie design best too but they are all beautiful. well done.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

All 3 are beautiful! I love the sentiment you put in the first one. Very thoughtful. They will love them for years!

• sunnycentralfl
    13 years ago

Treasures ALL! Beautiful job!

Gwen

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Since everyone is picking their favorites - My favorite is #1. All 3 are very nice, but I love the simplicity of fabrics in #1 - allows me to appreciate the design and all your hard work.

• karpet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all! I've been pretty frugal in my quilting over the last several years and have only bought fabric at garage/rummage sales so I don't necessarily end up with fabrics that I would walk into a store to buy, but as long as I don't just detest them, I buy them. The white/cream background fabrics on all of these were unusual fabrics, but they were ones that I had a lot of yardage in so they could be used as background fabrics for patterns that required lots of yardage for the background. Like another forum member said, (Sorry, I don't remember who) 'There are no ugly fabrics, just ones that have not found the right partners to dance with.' Hopefully I picked fabrics that are not awful together and fit the couples' style. The bow-tie one was hard because the couple registered mainly for board games and to have money donated to their honeymoon fund which didn't leave a lot of info to glean their style/taste from. The second one was challenging because the colors the couple registered for were orange, green, red, brown and eggplant - except not in purple but in blue. So I decided to use my 70's decorator fabric with the orange, green, brown in the background and then use the blue for the ribbon design.

Now the hard part is to decide out of all the patterns on my 'some-day' list, what to do next?? I have a large amount of fabric with a black background that is a Mary Engelbreit design with teacups on it. My mind has been doing somersaults for months trying to figure out how to use it - what pattern and what other fabrics? Still not sure!