Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

Having fun today

mary_c_gw
11 years ago

I am acid-washing a 3 yard length of silk broadcloth! Third washing coming up soon.

This silk has a history. My father bought it for his mother while he was serving in the Korean War. I know he had leave time in both Japan and south Korea, but I don't know where he bought the silk.

Now WHY he bought this for his mother is beyond me, LOL, except he was young (19) and didn't have a clue what his mother wore. She never wore silk (too troublesome to take care of), and she never wore red, and was way to frugal to hire a dressmaker to make something. Custom clothing??!! NEVER!

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I ended up with the silk when my father died 11 years ago. It sat in my stash, because I had no idea what to do with it.

So now, I am acid washing it, and I will make infinity scarves for all my sisters and my son's GF. I still have one more acid wash to do, but it already has that lovely sueded feel to it.

Comments (6)

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I hope you can post a picture and tell us how you do this.

I have a piece from my Aunt who died ten years ago, 8 yards of a fine yellow silk. Have no idea what I'll do with it but you give me ideas.

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know that a picture would be helpful. The silk is now less shiny, it shrinks a couple of inches both in length and width. It just feels slightly thicker, and more substantial. The original broadcloth felt like tissue, and was very smooth. This is now a matte finish, and has a slight texture to it.

As for the technique - I got it from the Singer Sewing Reference Library book "Creative Sewing Ideas".

But the technique is on the internet, too. It's really simple. I wouldn't do more than 2 or 3 yards at a time, though. 8 yards would be too much for the washer.

Wet your fabric with warm water.

Fill your washer on the lowest water setting with HOT water. Add 2 cups white vinegar, and agitate for a minute to distribute the vinegar. Add the fabric. Agitate for 12 minutes on the most vigorous cycle, then let go through the rinse cycle. Dry on hot in the dryer.

Repeat as desired to get the effect you want.

I did my fabric 3 times, and also increased the vinegar in the last go-round.

I'm very happy with the feel of the fabric, but I fear this red silk will continue to bleed forever. I will make the scarves, but I will include a box of Shout Color-Catchers with each of them, LOL!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Mary_C, What a wonderful story...love what you are doing to pass the silk along to other family members!

My family has similar stories from my FIL service in Korea and Vietnam, although no silk...I personnaly treasure those. To know they thought of others while having their own life on the line in the service of all ...

V.

• karpet
    11 years ago

We have an older gentleman in our church and he served in the army over in Japan after WWII. He went to a department store in Tokyo and wanted to buy white silk fabric for his future bride's wedding dress, although he had not even met her yet! Apparently only officers were allowed to go to the upper floor of the department store and that is where the fabric was, so he was on the main floor looking up the stairs, and an officer's wife stopped and asked him if there was a problem, he explained what the situation was, so she took his money, went to the upper floor and purchased the silk fabric and brought it back to him. His wife told me the story, and she did make her wedding dress out of that fabric!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

What amazing stories. Sounds like fabric plays a big part in our lives.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Great sweet stories ~ shows a real appreciation for fabric!

Mary -- you are having fun! I can't wait to see the finished product.

This is another reason NOT to buy Front load HE washers -- when mine finally dies, I am going back to top load agitation, where I can control the level and amount of water.