Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Scrap Quilt Class - Final Block

teresa_nc7
16 years ago

This will be the final lesson in our Scrap Quilt Class. Our block is called Roman Stripe or Roman Bar and is paper pieced. This is an easy block to make and can be made with totally random scraps or with more control of the color or style of fabrics. Today I am using a White-On-White (WOW) and shades of blue from dark to light. The blues all came from my scrap bin - NO stash fabrics were cut for this demonstration! Ha!

You will notice that this FPP pattern has all the scrap strips the same size. Also, I would not use fewer than 5 or 6 strips in each block no matter what size quilt you are using. It just won't look scrappy enough.

There is a link to this Foundation Paper Pieced (FPP) pattern at the end of this post. More than one size is given in the link. I am using the 6-inch (finished) pattern which is a good size for a lap quilt. You could use a smaller block for a baby/crib quilt. My personal preference is to use smaller blocks for baby quilts. I think the smaller blocks are more in scale with a smaller quilt - but that's just my preference.

To prepare for the block you need to assemble your scrap strips:

{{gwi:2063590}}

Then take your printed pattern copy and trace it to thinner paper if desired, tracing paper, vellum, used dryer sheets, thin interfacing, or sheets used in the deli that I use.

{{gwi:2063591}}

Cut a triangle slightly larger than the one on the pattern labeled #1 and pin it to the back side of your traced pattern - RIGHT SIDE UP. Place your first scrap strip on the area between area #1 and area #2. Flip your paper pattern over so the numbers are right side is up and stitch on the line between 1 and 2.

{{gwi:2063592}}

Trim the seam if needed to 1/4", press strip over and press.

{{gwi:2063593}}

Continue in this same manner with the rest of the scrap strips all the way to the corner of the pattern.

{{gwi:2063594}}

I double check the placement of my strips with pins on the corner before I sew the strip on the previous one.

{{gwi:2063595}}

When all the scrap strips are sewn and pressed, stitch the entire block in the block seam allowance.

{{gwi:2063596}}

Trim the block to the correct unfinished size - in this case, 6 1/2-inches. And your block is done!

{{gwi:2063597}}

Here is a baby quilt I made for a gift using the 1930s reproduction prints.

{{gwi:2063598}}

I quilted all the large triangles with a rising sun motif.

{{gwi:2063599}}

Here are more digital versions of this block made into quilts:

{{gwi:2063600}}

{{gwi:2063601}}

Here is a link that might be useful: PC Piecers patterns

Comments (14)

• toolgranny
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wonderful block. I'm going to save this for future reference. Thanks for sharing all this with us.
    Linda

• gerizone5
    16 years ago

That's a great block and I've saved it. Thanks for all you have done to promote our quilting experience. You've done a great job.

Geri

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

Teresa, I wanted to thank you for all the effort and talent you have shared in this class. It had to be very time consuming putting all the classes togeather. I do hope you are able to archive the information for future use. Jayne

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All of you are very welcome! I was glad to share my love of scrap quilts with you.

I've tried twice to contact iVillage about adding our classes to the FAQ page for this forum, but no reply yet. Maybe if some of you sent emails to them on my behalf it might get their attention.

Teresa

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Thank you so much Teresa for all the work you have put into this class. You have demonstrated so many types of scrap blocks that we should all be able to make a major dent in our stash, which is just what I plan to do in the new year. I will post a pic as soon as I have one completed. I have enjoyed your class very much.
    Jean

• lizzy3_27
    16 years ago

Theresa, Thank you for all the scrap quilt lessons. I have them all saved since I haven't had time to do them with you. I appreciate your time and great tutorials.

Liz

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Teresa, my thanks too for all your great ideas. If only I could get through my unfinished projects, I could start on my stash. lol

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Teresa, Another big thank you for the class! I'm still working on the Shooting Star (using it as leaders and enders right now) and I also want to do your scrappy border at some point in time.

I emailed iVillage thru their 'contact us' link and requested info about updating our FAQ page. I noticed someone posted on the Suggestions Forum that they wanted to update an FAQ page, too. Don't know if it was resolved or not. We'll see if Tamara, or someone, responds.

SharonG/FL

• nana24
    16 years ago

Teresa,
    Thanks for all the work you have done on this lesson. I have saved it all and will utilize it in the future. I do want to use up some fabrics I have this year. As we all know it is so easy to buy & stach.
    You amaze me finding time in this busy season.
    I'm wishing you and all those who belong to you a great season.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Sally

• barbara_in_pa
    16 years ago

Teresa,
    Just wanted to say that I have saved all your information articles... they are very handy reference as they are written.

Also, this block is very similar to a block I have done several times, using all scraps and when I completed it,I used it for my guild to give as a baby blanket to one of the agencies they support... I have gotten to the point where I do NOT throw any fabric away.... I love getting the ideas of using up all the piles of fabric. I feel really good when I can use an idea as you have suggested to make quilts.

I am working on the shooting star pattern, it is one I have seen and thought it was difficult - until I read your directions! I got really excited with that article!

thanks so much for all the work on the various projects...
    Have a delightful holiday!! Barbara

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Teresa, You have mail re: the FAQ Page.....they responded to me this morning...... @:)

SharonG/FL

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I have been enjoying these lessons and saving them, too. Thanks, Teresa!

• kathryni
    16 years ago

Teresa, I've really enjoyed all of these lessons. I've saved them also and hope to work on them after the holidays. Thanks for all the information you have shared with us! May you and your family have a wonderful Holiday season! Kay

• love2sew
    16 years ago

BTTT