Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

New Year / New LOTTO

K8Orlando
12 years ago

It's a new year and a new LOTTO!

Thanks for reading this post! Michelle/Micyrey has had problems with her mail and has agreed to let me take on the monthly LOTTO! I'm very excited to be doing this and look to all of our members for participation and support. I know many of you used to participate and I believe we can get back to that. I pledge to do everything I can to make it fun and easy. All you have to do is send in a block (or 2 or 3) each month.

All we need are 12 blocks each month to make enough for a wallhanging, baby quilt, lap quilt, donation quilt or even a doggy bed! 12 blocks can even be the center of a much larger quilt; just add borders until you get the size you need. I will guarantee to make 3 blocks each month but you all will have to do the rest. If we have a month with more than 24 blocks (don't laugh, it used to happen) then the winner can decide if they want to keep them all or split the pot and share.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it.

Here's the drill:

> each month there will be a designated block or theme

> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches

> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in

> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

January 2012

For January, the block will have sort of a Valentine's Day theme. It can be any 12.5x12.5 block you choose, done in red and white fabrics. Solids, prints, tone on tone, etc are all OK. Heart shapes and heart fabrics would be fun, but they are optional. (Please, no juvenile or novelty prints.) For this month, we want only pieced, paper pieced or hand applique blocks; no machine or fused applique. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams.

This is my first month as host, so don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

I'll add a general post soon with blocks/themes for the next few months.

Kate

Comments (108)

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Kate, I just finished three blocks, so I'm in!
    But please leave my name out of the drawing.
    I'm not particularly fond of red, (but I sure had fun making them,) and I'd like to have a chance at winning in another lotto.

I need to e-mail you about how to ship them w/o getting them wrinkled.

Julie

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I'd like to jump in as a newbie. I made two blocks tonight. There simple since I wanted to get in on time. Hope that's OK. I'm sending an email for your address. Thanks,
    Bev

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Kate-I got 3 blocks made for January's Lotto. They should go out tomorrow! This is going to make a nice size quilt for the winner!
    Thanks again for jumping in to organize this Lotto & keep it going.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Kate, I sent you an email requesting your address. Did you get it? Thanks

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

k8orlando - 3 (received)
    loisf - 1 (received)
    lola99 - 1(+)
    quiltpartner - 1(+)
    calliope - 3 (received)
    beth7happy - 3 (received)
    magothyrivergirl - 3
    nannykins - 3
    citytransplant - 1
    littlehelen - 3 (received)
    wynative - 1(+)
    vasu_texas - 3
    mary_c - 1
    luvtosharedivs - 3
    bev2009 - 2

This is going to make an amazing quilt!
    I'll definitely take a picture and post it before sending them all to the winner.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, the mailbox was full today!!!
    Theresa, your blocks arrived on Thursday.

k8orlando - 3 (received)
    loisf - 1 (received)
    lola99 - 1(+)
    quiltpartner - 1(+)
    calliope - 3 (received)
    magothyrivergirl - 3 (received)
    nannykins - 3 (received)
    citytransplant - 1
    wynative - 1(+)
    vasu_texas - 3
    mary_c - 2 (received)
    luvtosharedivs - 3 (received)
    bev2009 - 2

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Kate, just dropped mine off at the post office.

• lola99
    12 years ago

I mailed mine yesterday.

Lola

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received Marie's block today.

I'm working the Florida election on Tuesday so we may have to do the drawing on Wednesday evening instead of Tuesday. Usually I don't get home until close to 11pm on election days so I don't want to promise anything for that day. If we have all the blocks here by Monday, maybe we can do it then instead. I'll be gone for a couple days, but I'll tally it all up on Sunday evening and let you know.

k8orlando - 3 (received)
    loisf - 1 (received)
    lola99 - 1(+)
    quiltpartner - 1(+)
    calliope - 3 (received)
    nannykins - 3 (received)
    citytransplant - 1
    wynative - 1 (received)
    vasu_texas - 3
    mary_c - 2 (received)
    bev2009 - 2

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was out of town for a couple days and came back to find a huge stack of mail on the dining room table, including squishy envelopes with more lotto blocks!

I'll count again tonight but it looks like we have 35 blocks; enough for a large and lovely quilt. I'll try to get pictures before I send them all out to the lucky winner.

The only ones I haven't received (but I'll check again!) are from quiltpartner and citytransplant. If you've sent them, please let me know. If you didn't get them done for this month, that's OK - we all understand!

k8orlando - 3 (received)
    loisf - 1 (received)
    lola99 - 3 (received)
    quiltpartner - 1
    calliope - 3 (received)
    nannykins - 3 (received)
    citytransplant - 1
    wynative - 1 (received)
    vasu_texas - 3 (received)
    mary_c - 2 (received)
    bev2009 - 2 (received)
    sunnycentral fl - 2 (received)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Sigh of relief. Glad you received it in time. I forgot to measure before I sent them, so I hope they are 12.5 exactly.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Any one on right now who can help with the drawing? We'll need two people: one to assign numbers to names and another to select a number.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I'm here, what do you need?

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I'm here.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yea! OK - I'm going to email the participants list to Marsha. She can randomly assign numbers, then she'll ask Sharon to pick a number between 1 and 25. That's the number of people in the drawing. Of course, some people have their names in 2 or 3 times, depending on blocks submitted. A few have chosen not to enter their names.

Sending now!

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon - Marsha has numbers assigned. Pick any number from 1 through 25 and post it, please!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sharon - pick a number between 1 and 25 please and post!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I am in the drawing~I have emailed the list of randomly assigned numbers to Kate - she will announce the winner - I am stepping away from the computer :) Good luck everyone!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK - I'm just waiting on number, then I'll announce winner. I'm not in the drawing but I'm holding my breath anyway!!!

• calliope
    12 years ago

If Sharon went offline, let me know. I'll be online for another five or ten and can pull a number.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK Calliope! Please pick a number and we'll go with that.

Thanks!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

The number is ............. 17!!!!

• calliope
    12 years ago

OK...........fourteen says my hubby!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL! Well, it's a good thing Marsha didn't choose to announce the winner because... IT'S HER!

MAGOTHYRIVERGIRL is the winner of the first lotto of 2012.

Congrats!!!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

FYI - 17 is the first number that was posted so that's the one I went with.

Kate

• calliope
    12 years ago

OMG..........LOL.........Sorry Sharon. Whoopie Marsha! Congratulations. Who's on first? I won a set of the red samplers four years ago. It makes a great quilt.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

It was my DH that chose the number 17! That's so funny.

ConGratz Marsha!!!!

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Marsha. And thanks, Kate. This was a great way to choose the winner. I hope someone posts a photo of the blocks (hint, hint). This was so much fun. I can't wait to get home from Hawaii so I can start on the February blocks.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Good for you Marsha. I hope Kate gets a chance to post pictures of the squares first.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Thank you! I needed a new project and I am so delighted to win. I have very little red - had to go buy it to make my blocks. Give your hubby a kiss Sharon!

Calliope - do you have a picture of your sampler?

• calliope
    12 years ago

Somewhere on a disc. It lives in England, so I can't get a new pic.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I said I would post pictures, but they are all so nicely wrapped... well, I certainly understand why you want to see them so I'll give it a try tonight. Now, where am I going to set out 35 blocks?!?!?

I didn't make this one, but I saw it on-line and think it's beautiful! Marsha, this might give you a little inspiration:

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Contrats, Marsha!
    I second the hint to see the blocks.
    I agree also, Kate, that you've chosen a clever way to choose the winner.

Can't wait to see the finished project, Marsha...have fun!!!

Julie

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Lucky girl! Congratulations!
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    12 years ago

Congratulations Marsha, magothyriver gal...(you by any chance wouldn't be a Maryland resident,would ya?)
    I third the hint to see the blocks...
    V.

• lola99
    12 years ago

Congrats Marsha! You are going to have a fun project ahead.

Lola

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Congratulations Marsha!! I think these will make a wonderful quilt.

Winning is such fun, isn't it?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry this took me so long!!!
    I wanted to lay them all out but was afraid I would mess up the ID cards and Marsha wouldn't know who made them if I did that. So I took pictures individually and saved them in groups.

Aren't they beautiful!?!

Kate

• calliope
    12 years ago

Oh...........My.........Gosh. It's gonna be a riotously happy quilt!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

calliope - You described it!!! I am excited more than ever!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Fabulous! I love the variety! I can't wait to see the finished product.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures, Kate. It's so much fun to see them all.

• beth7happy
    12 years ago

wow...some VERY beautiful blocks! Thanks, Kate, for all the work you're doing

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Thanks, Kate, for organizing the blocks into group pics.
    I know how much time it takes to snap the pics, then download them to your computer, then resize if necessary, then upload to Photobucket, then post them here for all to see.

You are a girl that goes above and beyond of what's expected of a lotto block organizer!

Julie

• lola99
    12 years ago

Gorgeous blocks. Thanks for posting the pictures of them Kate.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad to do it! No thanks necessary.

I probably won't post pictures each month because the blocks will be the same but with all of them different this month, it seemed like a fun idea. I'll do it again in June when we do the blue/yellow stars. I think that's going to be a pretty batch.

And I can hardly wait until the month with the Santa Faces!

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

Congrats Marsha. You're getting some pretty nice blocks. Please post pics of the quilt once you put it together. Finally got to checking out the winner.

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I would like to see the April blocks. I think those are going to be really smashing!
    I know they are all black and white but the zinger fabrics will be special.
    Theresa

• calliope
    12 years ago

Maybe those of us with digital cameras can take our own pics and post them before we send them in. Then it wouldn't fall on Kate. You could even start a different thread with a title like pics of Bento Box so the lotto thread wouldn't be overwhelmed. Even if you didn't get to see all of them you'd see enough to get some eye candy.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it's OK to post picture right in the main thread for that lotto. We don't want to overwhelm the message board with too many posts all related to this. Each thread will take up to 150 posts before filling up so we've got lots of room!