Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Year / New LOTTO

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 28, 11 at 12:15

It's a new year and a new LOTTO!

Thanks for reading this post! Michelle/Micyrey has had problems with her mail and has agreed to let me take on the monthly LOTTO! I'm very excited to be doing this and look to all of our members for participation and support. I know many of you used to participate and I believe we can get back to that. I pledge to do everything I can to make it fun and easy. All you have to do is send in a block (or 2 or 3) each month.

All we need are 12 blocks each month to make enough for a wallhanging, baby quilt, lap quilt, donation quilt or even a doggy bed! 12 blocks can even be the center of a much larger quilt; just add borders until you get the size you need. I will guarantee to make 3 blocks each month but you all will have to do the rest. If we have a month with more than 24 blocks (don't laugh, it used to happen) then the winner can decide if they want to keep them all or split the pot and share.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it.

Here's the drill:
> each month there will be a designated block or theme
> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks
> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches
> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks
> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing
> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in
> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

January 2012
For January, the block will have sort of a Valentine's Day theme. It can be any 12.5x12.5 block you choose, done in red and white fabrics. Solids, prints, tone on tone, etc are all OK. Heart shapes and heart fabrics would be fun, but they are optional. (Please, no juvenile or novelty prints.) For this month, we want only pieced, paper pieced or hand applique blocks; no machine or fused applique. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams.

This is my first month as host, so don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

I'll add a general post soon with blocks/themes for the next few months.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Year / New LOTTO

Kate, should the fabrics be pre-washed? Lois

o

Have we made that a rule in the past? I suppose it's a good idea but if someone is using strips from a jelly roll or something like that it's difficult to pre-wash.

Kate

o

Kate, I'm in for a least one block in the January lotto. I bought the fabric tonight on the way home from work, because I don't have a stash yet. I found a block that I can easily enlarge from 12" to 12.5". This is fun; my first lotto. Lois

o

Lois - the unfinished size should be 12.5" - that is before it is sewn to another block. That was my first question when I started the Lotto. Some measurements state 12" but it is 12.5" unfinished. Look at the measurements closely.

I would 100% Prewash Reds. Just to make sure the color doesn't run.

I also want to add my opinion: Kate has graciously taken over the Block Lotto. She is one of the most enthusiastic players, and I think that she should be allowed to be included in the drawing - providing someone else or two, is actually drawing the winner. She has committed to making 3 blocks to jumpstart the pot, and I personally think her name should be included. I've always thought excluding the host was unfair in our small group.
If anyone objects, just say so, please. I want to see the Block Lotto be successful. I learned new blocks and it was a valuable and fun tool for me when I first started a few years ago. It is more fun with more blocks and people contributing. I plan to set time aside each month to make blocks and play.
Count me in for 1 - maybe more - I'll let you know.

o

Yes! Block size = 12.5" to make a finished 12" block. If your pattern says it makes a 12" block it will be just right for this.

o

Duh! Thank you, Ladies. I was wondering why all the blocks I was looking at were called 12" blocks. You think it would have dawned on me. Newbies!

And I agree that Kate should definitely be in the drawing.

o

Thank you and I will include myself in most of the lottos. The method of having one quilter set the list of participants to numbers, while another quilter draws a number, takes the whole process of selecting a winner out of my hands.

I've been looking for heart blocks (remember, hearts are NOT a requirement) and found this one I had to share. I think it's pretty and it's clever. AND it looks EASY! I love easy. I may have to add this to my list of Quilts I Have To Make Someday.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Cute Heart Block

o

Here's another heart - Since we are not all making the same block, you could simplify the block to sew it quicker. This appears to be an accurate grid, although I have not tried it yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heart pattern

o

Kate I definitely think your name should be in the drawings if you are making blocks. I use Steam-A-Seam2 to fuse my applique to my fabric and then I hand applique stitch around it. Is that ok or is that considered "fused"??? Also please define juvenile and novelty prints for me as I am new at this.

Best to you and many thanks,
Sandra

o

I'll let others chime in on the fusible question. I admit to having a bias against it because over time and washing after washing I think the edges can curl. I like to think that the winner of the blocks could use them all in a soft, cuddly quilt that could last a hundred years, like so many of the quilts from a century ago have lasted. For me (personal opinion alert!) fused applique is great for wall hangings, but not so much for quilts that will be used as lap, nap or bed blankets. If you are hand sewing the pieces I suppose that makes a difference. Do you turn the edges under or leave them raw? Any thoughts from the rest of you on fusing? I'll go with the group's opinion on this.

Juvenile prints would be those with puppies, kittens, tractors, dinosaurs, teddy bears, etc.

Novelty prints are those with superheros, toasters, snowmen, angels, company logos, motorcycles, road signs, dog faces, etc.

Thanks for asking, Sandra! If you were wondering, then I'm sure others were too.

Kate

o

I took a 2 day workshop from Sue Nickels- she recommends Soft Fuse, which is a newer product. She basically fuses about 1/8" of the outside perimeter of the applique and prefers using a machine applique stitch or blanket stitch around the shape. Because the shape is not completely fused, the applique stays soft and the edges do not fray. I don't see how they could curl. I have made 2 quilts recently that used her method of machine applique - one the Sno-Globe quilt. I expect both these quilts to be used and washed and to last. That said, I would be okay with machine applique, as long as the method used is not a full, Pellon behind the back of the heart fused onto a background. I don't do hand applique.
I highly recommend Sue Nickel's book "Stitched Raw Edge Applique".

You might get more people and blocks if you include Machine Applique.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soft Fuse

o

One more clarification: Any fabric that 'reads' red and white is usable, along with "solid" red or white. Even "solid" red or white can be tone-on-tone, small prints, marbles, etc. Prints can contain other colors, as long as the general impression when looking at the fabric is that it's red and white.

o

Thanks for the info on the juvenile and novelty prints. All I use for hand applique is Steam-A-Seam2 so if that is not allowed then I will just sit out these swaps. And as many family quilts as I am making this year it may be best if I just sit out the monthly lotto swaps as my extra time will be very limited. Hope ya'll have fun with the lotto swaps.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Sandra,
Typically we will have a block assigned, not a Quilters' Choice block, so applique won't be an option very often. You can choose to sit out this swap if you want to, but please consider joining in on others. Each month it will be different.

o
Jan 2012 block picture

Each month I'll try to get a couple or three blocks made and post pictures. That may help generate interest and may be helpful for newer quilters who haven't participated before.

Here are the three blocks I've made for the January 2012 Lotto (quilters' choice / red & white):

o

In all the years I've participated, I have won two lottos and one of them was .....ta da.......a quilter's choice red and white. I made the quilt up a year ago, and it was a gift to family who took it back to England with them. I'll be entering this one too, hopefully to win, lol, and have a red and white sampler for myself. I'm so glad you posted pictures because I had it in my mind it HAD to be a heart themed block and could only find one I wanted to do. This opens up more options. I love quilter's choice and the winner gets all sorts of designs they'd never have thought of themselves. Let me get this holiday past me and I'll commit to a number. I'm excited!

o

Hearts are only an option, not a requirement. Maybe that wasn't clear and that's why we had questions about fusing and applique. I hope the newer quilters can see from the three I posted that even a simple block like the 4 squares can be pretty and can add to the complexity of a sampler quilt.

If you submit more than one block they can all be the same or all different. I used a combination of the same fabrics in all three of mine but that's just because I had fairly large pieces of each one. If you want to make them all very different, that's cool too. Variety is the spice of... well, you know the rest.

o

oh gosh! This does sound like fun......but I'm less than a 'newbie'. ....it will be a long time before I can reach that 'newbie' level. So, between one and three blocks a month? Kate always does a superb job on every project! She'll be a fearless leader, no doubt!!

o

Beth, you made 2 beautiful quilts for Christmas presents! You can do this!

o

Beth - did I miss pics of your quilts? I've been consumed w/ getting my quilt presents done.

Playing the Lotto is the best way to learn different blocks, not to just complete the block, but to challenge yourself to make it come out the right size and look spectacular~~and it is only 1 block! The hardest part of this month's block is choosing the block - I always find Quilter's Choice to be challenging-so many blocks and for a newbie - figuring out your skill level. I suggest you start by picking a very simple block and make it in a great fabric and see how you feel about it. Quilter's choice is perfect for beginners.
I have linked to some easy blocks. I'm going to pick an easy block because I am pressed for time.
You will learn so much and if you win???? You will learn even more!
Please don't be afraid to enter into the drawing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy blocks

o

Nope, Mag, I've not posted any quilt pics, but I CAN sew a seam! Probably this lotto is really the challenge that I NEED to learn something; I love to play around at making things and this might be a really good way for me to learn. The pics posted and the websites with patterns make it look pretty interesting....it seems that this forum would be the perfect place, too, for information and help if one were to need it! Thanks for the encouragement...I'll be working on a block for the red/white challenge!

o

Marsha, thanks for posting that link to easy quilt blocks.
Another source is www.quilterscache.com. I added a link below that takes you to all the 12" block patterns. For easiest blocks, choose the ones with 1 pin. Most of the 2 pins are fairly easy too, once you get comfortable with their instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilters Cache

o

I think your red / white blocks are really beautiful Kate! Will try to participate in the lotto swaps later in the year.

Best to you and many thanks,
Sandra

o

I made one block for this lotto last night, so I'm in for at least one. If I finish 1 or 2 more I'll let you know.

I have been working on a hand project and quilting some ufos and I have not pieced in a very long time (since the RR last spring?). Well, if piecing is like riding a bike, I finally remembered how, after falling off hard a few times! I can't believe the number of mistakes I made - miscalculating QSTs, trimming too much as I squared up a HST, chain stitching without a bobbin for more than one square - it was ridiculous, but finally I ended up with a square that I'm pleased to send in. Now I'm browsing block patterns to figure out what else I want to make for this lotto...I love quilter's choice!

Kate, would you please email me your address?

Lola

o

I received a beautiful block from Lois today and it's just Jan 3rd!

k8orlando - 3
loisf - 1

o

I will be anxious to get back to the states so I can participate again! Kate, your blocks are beautiful.
Sue

o

I'm back in the game! Yea! But I'll commit to just one - & hopefully have another one or two when I mail. :) To any and all newbies ---- the lottos are the BEST ever way to develop new quilting skills. We've all been newbies at one time so we completely understand your hesitation. But we DO want to see you join us! You'll be SO glad you did!

o

I'm in for two, perhaps three. They're already made and can you email me your postal?

o

Calliope, you don't have an email link on your GardenWeb page, but if you click on my name you can send me one and I'll respond!

Kate

o

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Kate, when I try to email you, it redirects me away from everything and to the home page. Thanks for the heads up on my email not being visible on my member page. It was also giving me grief last week and somehow it got edited out. I can't reach you on your member page. Will you see if you can reach me now? Sorry.

o

OK - that worked. I've just sent you the address.

Not sure why you couldn't reach me because I've received other emails, but if anyone else has that problem please let me know!

o

This may be a silly question but ... are these blocks due at the end of January?
What happened to the other block lotto, the dec/jan one, where the blocks were due at the end of January and it was a freestyle winter block? Is that one still happening as well, or has it been replaced by this one?

I'm sorry, I'm just a bit confused :)

o

Not a silly question at all! I've added the link to Michelle's Dec/Jan lotto post below or you can just scroll down the message posts to find it. If you read through that it will all make sense.

This January lotto, with blocks due at the end of January, is our standard, regular monthly lotto, but I don't think Michelle has cancelled the free style one she set up for Dec/Jan. She recently posted that she just received a block so you might want to check with her about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dec/Jan winter block lotto

o
re: lotto

So basically, we're doing both?

That's good news, I was really looking forward to trying to get a freestyle winter block done, it sounded like a fun idea... but this red/white is a lovely colour scheme too. Actually the only block lotto I ever won was a couple years ago, and was a Valentines one as well!

Thanks for the clarification :)

o

Hello
We absolutly can stilll do the freestyle lotto.
Kate, do want the blocks to go to you or me? Better use DC# if you send to me. I can send sandras to you with mine if you like.
Michelle

o

Excited!!! I just found some reds in my drawer and I know I have white! Now....to choose a pattern.... I love some of the options that you all have shown.

o

Michelle, you already have the other squares so I think you should get the original winter-theme blocks and finish that lotto out. Are you OK with that?

o

Sounds fine to me.

So any one playing in the dec/jan lotto
Send to me(michelle/micyrey)

Thanks
Michelle

o

Just found the pattern that I want to try and came back to re-read the criteria for making the block.

Here's my question: when pre-washing fabrics for quilting, is there a rule-of-thumb to follow? ie: cold water, hot water, laundry soap or none? Do you dry in the dryer, or hang to dry?

o

k8orlando - 3
loisf - 1
lola99 - 1(+)
quiltpartner - 1(+)
calliope - 3
beth7happy - 1(+)

Woo HOO! We're doing GREAT!

o

Also magothyrivergirl 1+

I bought red w/ teeney white dots at Joanns the other day - as soon as the water hit it (preshrinking) the smell was horrendous - a disgusting chemical smell - this is the second time this has happened, different Joann's. I have washed it 4 times. Right now it is outside because it smells so bad. I will have to fight with the manager to exchange it. On sale, I paid over $6.00 yd......
so count me in - I just need more fabric.

o

UPDATE!

k8orlando - 3
loisf - 1
lola99 - 1(+)
quiltpartner - 1(+)
calliope - 3
beth7happy - 1(+)
magothyrivergirl - 1(+)
nannykins - 3

o

I would love to be on the quilt lotto. Since I am a true
newbie, put me down for one. In my head I can knockout several, but I know my head gets me into trouble.. a lot! I will however, try to do more. Just one to start though.

Joan

o

Glad to have you join in, Joan!
I think you'll find that once you make one block, making a couple more is faster and easier. You don't have to make three different blocks like I did in the example above; you can do all three the same. But 1 is a good place to start!

Kate

k8orlando - 3
loisf - 1
lola99 - 1(+)
quiltpartner - 1(+)
calliope - 3
beth7happy - 1(+)
magothyrivergirl - 1(+)
nannykins - 3
citytransplant - 1

o

I actually like the look of the same block or the same fabric used in different blocks submitted - it gives the scrappy quilt some continuity. I have won 2 Lotto's and made quilts from both of the winnings, and like the repeat when people have used some or all the same fabric in their blocks. When I first started participating in the Lotto, I was always trying to do each block completely different, which was hard for a newbie. Like Kate has pointed out, that is not necessary. I did not know better. It is so much faster and easier to make the blocks the same or use the same fabrics.

The Lotto Blocks should be fun, easy, fast and accurate (so they can be sewn to the other blocks with ease).
I learned a huge amount as a newbie from this Lotto.
If I can help anyone - just ask a question. Sounds corny, but my way to give back alittle to the Forum.

o

First timer in the BOM! Not much red in my stash, but I finished up two blocks today and will have them in the mail shorlty...looking forward to the next BOM.
V.

o

k8orlando - 3
loisf - 1
lola99 - 1(+)
quiltpartner - 1(+)
calliope - 3
beth7happy - 1(+)
magothyrivergirl - 1(+)
nannykins - 3
citytransplant - 1
littlehelen - 2

o

Kate -

Sign me up for 1 but depending on time, I may get 1 or 2 more sent.

Marie

o

If anyone is still looking for a fun block for this month, here's a neat pattern found by beth7happy that would look great done in reds and white. Click here to get to the directions: http://www.azpatch.com/bom/bom2005/02feb05/bom05feb.htm

o
update

k8orlando - 3
loisf - 1
lola99 - 1(+)
quiltpartner - 1(+)
calliope - 3
beth7happy - 1(+)
magothyrivergirl - 1(+)
nannykins - 3
citytransplant - 1
littlehelen - 2
wynative - 1(+)

o

Kate,
Please sign me up for 3. Also, please don't include my name in the drawing. I won 16 blocks in the one and only lotto I participated last year and feeling guilty for not pitching in for the others.
Vasu

o

k8orlando - 3
loisf - 1
lola99 - 1(+)
quiltpartner - 1(+)
calliope - 3
beth7happy - 1(+)
magothyrivergirl - 1(+)
nannykins - 3
citytransplant - 1
littlehelen - 2
wynative - 1(+)
vasu_texas - 3

Vasu! Glad to have you join in but there's no penalty for winning and no need to feel guilty! I think we've even had some people win twice in a row. I'm sure some people are excited to think they could win in their very first lotto!

Kate

o
update

k8orlando - 3 (received)
loisf - 1 (received)
lola99 - 1(+)
quiltpartner - 1(+)
calliope - 3 (received)
beth7happy - 1(+)
magothyrivergirl - 1(+)
nannykins - 3
citytransplant - 1
littlehelen - 2
wynative - 1(+)
vasu_texas - 3

o

I've just read this whole post, but still have a couple of questions. When you say opened to all, does that mean it doesn't matter where you live? I live in Canada. 2nd. I take it that there is a new block theme each month and at the end of each month, you draw a winner for that month. In order to join, do we need to participate in each month for the full year? What if we can't participate for a particular month, due to away on vacation, or company visiting? I've never done this but it sounds interesting. I hesitated before thinking that I couldn't imagine making a quilt with all these different fabrics. I have never tried a scrappy quilt for this reason. I seem to be drawn to a quilt that maybe has different blocks, but all made with the same 4 or 5 fabrics. Thanks. Joan

o

Joan,
- Yes, the lotto is open to Canada, Oz and anywhere else. I don't want to exclude anyone who wants to participate.
- Participation is one time, all time, or some time. Whatever you like. I wasn't able to participate much last year but in the past I tried to do at least one block each month. If I didn't want the blocks (you can't like everything, right?) then I just included a note to the host saying I didn't want my name included in that drawing. It's more fun for everyone if there are enough blocks to make a quilt and trying a block you don't particularly like can still be a good learning experience.
- I completely understand your trepidation about 'scrappy'. I really struggled with it myself and through this forum have learned to appreciate scrappy quilts, samplers and color combinations I would have never tried on my own! In the past, my quilts were planned and all fabric was purchased just for that project. That's probably why I have so much available now to use for these lottos! LOL
- Lastly, here's an idea for you and anyone else thinking they wouldn't know what to do with the blocks if they won: make a donation quilt for a local charity or for Quilts of Valor. They are always looking for donations and it will make you feel as warm all over as the recipient of your quilt will feel!

Hope that answers your questions but if it doesn't feel free to ask more! I'll be posting all of the blocks and colors for upcoming quilts soon, along with links to instructions for the blocks. We have a great group started and I hope everyone continues to try at least one block for the group!

Kate
(Check out the link below for an idea to accompany the lotto!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Some for you; one for me

o

Thanks for answering my questions Kate and the link - great idea. I really want to try out this BOM Lotto this year, but since we're already halfways through January, maybe I'll watch for the February instructions and be ready for next month's Lotto. Seems like a good way to use up some left over fabrics from other projects. I have a few other projects to finish up this month.

Joan

o

Kate, I got one made, so sign me up! I will email you for your address.
Mary

o

k8orlando - 3 (received)
loisf - 1 (received)
lola99 - 1(+)
quiltpartner - 1(+)
calliope - 3 (received)
beth7happy - 1(+)
magothyrivergirl - 1(+)
nannykins - 3
citytransplant - 1
littlehelen - 2
wynative - 1(+)
vasu_texas - 3
mary_c - 1

o

Kate, I just finished three blocks, so I'm in!
But please leave my name out of the drawing.
I'm not particularly fond of red, (but I sure had fun making them,) and I'd like to have a chance at winning in another lotto.

I need to e-mail you about how to ship them w/o getting them wrinkled.

Julie

o

I'd like to jump in as a newbie. I made two blocks tonight. There simple since I wanted to get in on time. Hope that's OK. I'm sending an email for your address. Thanks,
Bev

o

Kate-I got 3 blocks made for January's Lotto. They should go out tomorrow! This is going to make a nice size quilt for the winner!
Thanks again for jumping in to organize this Lotto & keep it going.

o

Kate, I sent you an email requesting your address. Did you get it? Thanks

o

k8orlando - 3 (received)
loisf - 1 (received)
lola99 - 1(+)
quiltpartner - 1(+)
calliope - 3 (received)
beth7happy - 3 (received)
magothyrivergirl - 3
nannykins - 3
citytransplant - 1
littlehelen - 3 (received)
wynative - 1(+)
vasu_texas - 3
mary_c - 1
luvtosharedivs - 3
bev2009 - 2

This is going to make an amazing quilt!
I'll definitely take a picture and post it before sending them all to the winner.

o
update - more blocks received

Wow, the mailbox was full today!!!
Theresa, your blocks arrived on Thursday.

k8orlando - 3 (received)
loisf - 1 (received)
lola99 - 1(+)
quiltpartner - 1(+)
calliope - 3 (received)
magothyrivergirl - 3 (received)
nannykins - 3 (received)
citytransplant - 1
wynative - 1(+)
vasu_texas - 3
mary_c - 2 (received)
luvtosharedivs - 3 (received)
bev2009 - 2

o

Kate, just dropped mine off at the post office.

o

I mailed mine yesterday.

Lola

o

I received Marie's block today.

I'm working the Florida election on Tuesday so we may have to do the drawing on Wednesday evening instead of Tuesday. Usually I don't get home until close to 11pm on election days so I don't want to promise anything for that day. If we have all the blocks here by Monday, maybe we can do it then instead. I'll be gone for a couple days, but I'll tally it all up on Sunday evening and let you know.

k8orlando - 3 (received)
loisf - 1 (received)
lola99 - 1(+)
quiltpartner - 1(+)
calliope - 3 (received)
nannykins - 3 (received)
citytransplant - 1
wynative - 1 (received)
vasu_texas - 3
mary_c - 2 (received)
bev2009 - 2

o
wow!

I was out of town for a couple days and came back to find a huge stack of mail on the dining room table, including squishy envelopes with more lotto blocks!

I'll count again tonight but it looks like we have 35 blocks; enough for a large and lovely quilt. I'll try to get pictures before I send them all out to the lucky winner.

The only ones I haven't received (but I'll check again!) are from quiltpartner and citytransplant. If you've sent them, please let me know. If you didn't get them done for this month, that's OK - we all understand!

k8orlando - 3 (received)
loisf - 1 (received)
lola99 - 3 (received)
quiltpartner - 1
calliope - 3 (received)
nannykins - 3 (received)
citytransplant - 1
wynative - 1 (received)
vasu_texas - 3 (received)
mary_c - 2 (received)
bev2009 - 2 (received)
sunnycentral fl - 2 (received)

o

Sigh of relief. Glad you received it in time. I forgot to measure before I sent them, so I hope they are 12.5 exactly.

o

Any one on right now who can help with the drawing? We'll need two people: one to assign numbers to names and another to select a number.

Kate

o

I'm here, what do you need?

SharonG/FL

o

I'm here.

o
Here we go

Yea! OK - I'm going to email the participants list to Marsha. She can randomly assign numbers, then she'll ask Sharon to pick a number between 1 and 25. That's the number of people in the drawing. Of course, some people have their names in 2 or 3 times, depending on blocks submitted. A few have chosen not to enter their names.

Sending now!

Kate

o

Sharon - Marsha has numbers assigned. Pick any number from 1 through 25 and post it, please!

o

Sharon - pick a number between 1 and 25 please and post!

o

I am in the drawing~I have emailed the list of randomly assigned numbers to Kate - she will announce the winner - I am stepping away from the computer :) Good luck everyone!

o
waiting...

OK - I'm just waiting on number, then I'll announce winner. I'm not in the drawing but I'm holding my breath anyway!!!

o

If Sharon went offline, let me know. I'll be online for another five or ten and can pull a number.

o
pick a number

OK Calliope! Please pick a number and we'll go with that.

Thanks!

o

The number is ............. 17!!!!

o
Here ya go

OK...........fourteen says my hubby!

o
Our Winner

LOL! Well, it's a good thing Marsha didn't choose to announce the winner because... IT'S HER!

MAGOTHYRIVERGIRL is the winner of the first lotto of 2012.

Congrats!!!

o
seventeen

FYI - 17 is the first number that was posted so that's the one I went with.

Kate

o
Laughing

OMG..........LOL.........Sorry Sharon. Whoopie Marsha! Congratulations. Who's on first? I won a set of the red samplers four years ago. It makes a great quilt.

o

It was my DH that chose the number 17! That's so funny.

ConGratz Marsha!!!!

o

Congratulations, Marsha. And thanks, Kate. This was a great way to choose the winner. I hope someone posts a photo of the blocks (hint, hint). This was so much fun. I can't wait to get home from Hawaii so I can start on the February blocks.

o

Good for you Marsha. I hope Kate gets a chance to post pictures of the squares first.

o

Thank you! I needed a new project and I am so delighted to win. I have very little red - had to go buy it to make my blocks. Give your hubby a kiss Sharon!

Calliope - do you have a picture of your sampler?

o

Somewhere on a disc. It lives in England, so I can't get a new pic.

o

I said I would post pictures, but they are all so nicely wrapped... well, I certainly understand why you want to see them so I'll give it a try tonight. Now, where am I going to set out 35 blocks?!?!?

I didn't make this one, but I saw it on-line and think it's beautiful! Marsha, this might give you a little inspiration:
Red/White Sampler Quilt

o

Contrats, Marsha!
I second the hint to see the blocks.
I agree also, Kate, that you've chosen a clever way to choose the winner.

Can't wait to see the finished project, Marsha...have fun!!!

Julie

o

Lucky girl! Congratulations!
Theresa

o

Congratulations Marsha, magothyriver gal...(you by any chance wouldn't be a Maryland resident,would ya?)
I third the hint to see the blocks...
V.

o

Congrats Marsha! You are going to have a fun project ahead.

Lola

o

Congratulations Marsha!! I think these will make a wonderful quilt.

Winning is such fun, isn't it?

o
pictures!

Sorry this took me so long!!!
I wanted to lay them all out but was afraid I would mess up the ID cards and Marsha wouldn't know who made them if I did that. So I took pictures individually and saved them in groups.

Aren't they beautiful!?!

Kate

o

Oh...........My.........Gosh. It's gonna be a riotously happy quilt!

o

calliope - You described it!!! I am excited more than ever!

o

Fabulous! I love the variety! I can't wait to see the finished product.

o

Thanks for posting the pictures, Kate. It's so much fun to see them all.

o

wow...some VERY beautiful blocks! Thanks, Kate, for all the work you're doing

o

Thanks, Kate, for organizing the blocks into group pics.
I know how much time it takes to snap the pics, then download them to your computer, then resize if necessary, then upload to Photobucket, then post them here for all to see.

You are a girl that goes above and beyond of what's expected of a lotto block organizer!

Julie

o

Gorgeous blocks. Thanks for posting the pictures of them Kate.

o

Glad to do it! No thanks necessary.

I probably won't post pictures each month because the blocks will be the same but with all of them different this month, it seemed like a fun idea. I'll do it again in June when we do the blue/yellow stars. I think that's going to be a pretty batch.

And I can hardly wait until the month with the Santa Faces!

o

Congrats Marsha. You're getting some pretty nice blocks. Please post pics of the quilt once you put it together. Finally got to checking out the winner.

o

I would like to see the April blocks. I think those are going to be really smashing!
I know they are all black and white but the zinger fabrics will be special.
Theresa

o

Maybe those of us with digital cameras can take our own pics and post them before we send them in. Then it wouldn't fall on Kate. You could even start a different thread with a title like pics of Bento Box so the lotto thread wouldn't be overwhelmed. Even if you didn't get to see all of them you'd see enough to get some eye candy.

o

I think it's OK to post picture right in the main thread for that lotto. We don't want to overwhelm the message board with too many posts all related to this. Each thread will take up to 150 posts before filling up so we've got lots of room!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here