Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

Anyone else finishing presents???

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

Or not ...... have you given up??

I just squared the last quilt, found some binding fabric I had (hanging over an upstairs railing - hidden from me in plain sight)- made the binding last night.

I need to make labels and wash these last two quilts.

Next is bind my Goodbye Irene quilt - I wanted to "give" that to us - I would like to start the New Year with a new quilt.

And I need to start a Comfort Quilt. I decided on a different pattern - I was going to make another Jelly Roll race - but they are a bit boring......I may still change my mind.

Comments (15)

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

I finished up the baby quilts last week. I need to take pictures to post.

Rebecca

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Not me...I stopped making Christmas gifts years ago. Everyone in our families as so much stuff! :) Now I make gift quilts just for special occasions.

I'm quilting a top that has been finished for a couple of years; it's been a very long-term project. It took me several years to finish the top! I finally decided I wanted it done. Hopefully I can finish it over my long holiday weekend.

I have a Quilt U class staring mid-January; after that I'll get busy making miniatures and boutique items for our Feb 2013 quilt show.

Donna

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

The "girlfriend quilt" was it for me.

I spent too many years doing needlepoint finishing - right up until Christmas Eve - to put that type of pressure on myself.

I knew I could piece, quilt, and bind that one with plenty of time.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I didn't make any this year, but I have two neighbor friends scheduled for surgery in January (1 knee replacement and 1 back fusion) so now I'm thinking about making some things for them. There's always something new to add to the list!

Kate

• calliope
    12 years ago

So glad to see everyone wrapping up their loose ends. I also decided not to put any holiday quilting pressure on myself. I have also been to the 'eve' of the big day finishing up several gifts in progress.

I did pick up the last gift I needed to get today. It was for my son, and the only thing I knew he wanted evidently was the most asked-for man gift of the season. My dear g'son let me steal his idea and thunder and when I went to purchase it, got laughed out of so many stores who'd sold out. I finally found it, the last one in inventory at my feed mill. LOL. It came on today's truck and I picked it up this afternoon and it's wrapped.

I can enjoy the slide into Christmas day now and when I sneak up to my room to quilt, there's no pressure.

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

I finished quilting the last quilt this afternoon. I still have to hand stitch the binding and labels on two queen size quilts. We aren't celebrating until next Wed. so I still have some time. I haven't wrapped anything yet and want to make some snack foods too. I will be busy this weekend!
    Linda OH

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No wrapping done either. I needed to buy "bags" today for the quilts - 4 will be given on Christmas Eve, the last two not until the following week - those are the two I need to finish - tomorrow. Binding on one - labels on both, washed and dried.

I made 9 quilts for Christmas gifts, including the 1 charity quilt and dress for the Salvation Army bear. I feel really good about that and paced myself pretty well to avoid getting horribly stressed out.

Tomorrow, I may be singing a different tune ~LOL.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Nine quilts? It took me three years to crank out my first nine quilts. LOL.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Marsha,
    I started the 'cat' quilt early so as to avoid the stress. The snail trails went well and the cat faces OK, when I got to the $@&* rats I was ready to pull my hair out. They were so curvy and hard to machine applique. It took me 2 weeks to take out the satin stitches on one I screwed up, thank heavens there were only 6 of them!

and I forgot to make a label lol!!

On my next quilt I am going to make the label FIRST!!!
    Rosa

• anitastitch
    12 years ago

I finished six neck warmers and two spa bags in time. Today I plan to finish six sewing kits, which I won't be needing until Wednesday, so I did well this year for a change.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Anita what pattern are you using for the sewing kits???
    Rosa

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I've been wanting to do some sewing for weeks, but simply lacked the time or energy after running my mail route. HOWEVER, today my roomie was in charge of dinner, so I was able to quilt the pillow I needed for the Seeds-n-Stitches January swap (will post pics tomorrow) and I got some work done on my postage stamp quilt. That one is going to take a while! I have the next two, count'em two, days off and will hopefully be doing more sewing. Cross your fingers for me!
    Dan

• Proud2BAGranny
    12 years ago

I got 3 quilts done for my grands a week before christmas. I worked on them throughout the year, mostly collecting the flannels I wanted for each one, and cut my pieces off and on. This was my first big attempt at making quilts, and for a long time, I decided when I finished them, I wasnt doing any more. But it kinda grew on me somewhere along the line. I did make one earlier in the year for my adopted daughter, and have 1 more to finish for my best friend, and then not sure if I will continue making quilts or not. I have tons of fabric leftover, so I really should make more.
    Hope you all had a wonderful christmas

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Proud2B! And congrats on your 1st year of quilting. Stick around and you'll get lots of ideas for that leftover fabric!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Another welcome to you, Proud2BAGranny. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your quilts. If you hang around here long enough, you'll be using the rest of your fabric and wanting to get more! Somehow the quilting bug gets ahold and there's no cure. So you might just as well settle in.....it's a fun ride with some fun helpful people (who are really enablers).

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH