Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Century old Crazy Quilt Block

Posted by calliope (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 11:11

Thought you might like to see what a crazy quilt block looked like from back when they were all the rage. I'm sorry, but this is the best quality I can do with artificial light on a dark, winter's day. It does not show off the hand embroidery well. It does give a feel for what fabrics were used. The batting on this, and yes it does have a thin batting, is some pug-ugly grey loosely pressed sheet of natural materials. Overall size is about two feet by one and a half. I found this in my mother's fabric stash. She was a big one on auctions, and probably found this in a box of somebody else's quilting cache and could no more throw it away than I could. It's been pinned to my sewing room wall, but thought I'd better put it under glass as I was renovating in there before I put it back on the wall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Century old Crazy Quilt Block

Putting it under glass sounds like a good idea to me. I really like that the year was embroidered on it. I have a tendency to not think that far ahead and never thought anything I've made would make a person wonder who, what, where and when in 50 or more years.

Thanks for sharing.

SharonG/FL

o

Fun to have things from the past and even nicer to have them dated. It will be nice to have it covered and to be able to share your treasure from a different era. TFS

o

I don't think about my quilts lasting 100 years. I imagine this person didn't either. It is very special.

o

That looks so cool! Love the embroidery work on it. Thank you bunches for sharing!

Best to you,
Sandra

o

I admire the time it took to make the quilt. The different embroidery stitches are gorgeous. I can't blame her or you, I couldn't get rid of it either lol!
Rosa

o

loved it it reminded me of reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder series of the Little House books thanks for sharing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here