Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Happy Solstice / Lunar Eclipse

K8Orlando
13 years ago

Here we are at the shortest days and longest nights of the year. Hope you are all staying warm as we welcome(?) the first night of Winter. Tonight there will be a lunar eclipse, visible throughout North America. Let's wish for clear skies so we can see it!

Kate

Comments (9)

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

We have been overcast and off and on drizzle for the past 4 days. Hopefully, it will clear enough for us to see the eclipse tonight.
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's a bit overcast here tonight but you can still clearly seen the full moon. Hoping it doesn't get any cloudier.

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

We won't see it at all with this storm - but we will put on our flowing robes, hold our candles and dance around the tree while singing bawdy tavern songs!

• grammyp
    13 years ago

I hope to at least see part of it. Don't know if I can stay up all night to see the whole thing.

beverly

• carolnv
    13 years ago

Won't be able to see it here in Nevada. Have had 3 days of straight rain! Ugh, my DH and I love looking up at the sky to see satellites, stars, shooting stars go by, but NO, not tonight!

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

Woke up at around 3:30, wrapped up and went out, saw the total eclipse. Although I've seen it before, never on the Solstice, decided it was worth standing in freezing cold since it doesn't happen often, the last time was in 1638, the next time will be in 372 years. Tried to imagine living in ancient times and not knowing why this phenomenon occurs. It must have been pretty scary to see the moon turn dark orange like that. Don't forget to observe - the toilets flush backwards today!

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I saw it at different stages - thru my skylights in the bathroom. The next time I looked it was totally dark - no orange or red glow. Pretty cool......

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We were so lucky in Orlando! Sky was clear and the cold weather has reduced the humidity so the stars were sharp and bright. We set the alarm for 2:30am and went out on the golf course where it was really dark, with quilts to wrap ourselves in of course. Sarah the 14 year old Sheltie wasn't thrilled to be woken up at that hour but once we got to the golf course she decided it was a party and dashed around like a puppy. We even saw two shooting stars. If I'm still around in 372 years I'll do it again!

Kate

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Didn't get to see the eclipse, too many clouds. But now that winter has officially started, our weather has warmed up. Go figure.

beverly

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm