Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wynative

Help with DGD Christmas Quilt - please...

wynative
12 years ago

I am in the process of making this for my 8 month old granddaughter for Christmas - ya, I know... only a few days left to finish it!

{{!gwi}}

As it is 3-D pin wheels and I am going to 'stitch-in-the-ditch', I will not be able to stitch over the pin wheels, they are way to thick! My idea is to add a center to each pin wheel - like a button but something soft. I am going to Jo-Ann's this evening to find something for it.

Anyone have an idea what I could use/do? It has to be fairly easy and really quick! I am trying to think of something flat & soft to cover with fabric (sparkly lime green) - and coming up with zilch...

Thanks in advance,

Marie

Comments (10)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

This is turning out really cute! Why do you want to sew something in the middle of the pinwheel? I would be very scared of it coming off and becoming a choking hazard.
    I could easily see a button becoming a favorite teething item.

If you want it attached thru the batting and backing- tie it very securely with a pretty piece of yarn thru the intersection. Lots of colors to choose.

Hopefully Jennifer will see this-she is making one for Melanie.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

That is so cute Marie!!! When I made one with cotton fabrics I used an embroidery stitch in the center. It was a small doll quilt so it wasn't too bad to sew thru.

The denim one I made, there is no way I could get anything thru all of the thick layers.

You might try a knot in the center, it would be baby safe if it is tied correctly!

It's adorable as is!!!!!!!
    Rosa

• wynative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The reason I want something in the middle: I can't quilt through the pin wheels - way to much fabric. I want to also do it to help hold all the layer's together because the pin wheels are a little raised. (if that makes sense).

I don't want to use buttons or anything hard because she is a baby and the choking hazard - so what ever I do has to be soft and be able to sew it securely.

Marie

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Marie, how big are your squares? If you stitch in the ditch around all of them that should hold the layers nicely, unless your blocks are really big.

Donna

• day2day
    12 years ago

That is so cute! I hope you post a pic when it's completed.

When I did a pinwheel quilt, I used iron-on daisy appliques in the pinwheel centers. Then, to be double sure, I sewed around each tiny daisy. Then I washed the quilt twice to make sure the daisies were secure. It was a lot of extra work.
    The baby's Mom was a nurse so I knew she would check the quilt after each washing.

I think that Rosa's idea of using an embroidery stitch may be a good solution.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I have a 'tack' stitch on my machine - as well as a 'sew a button' on stitch. If you can get the pinwheel under the pressure foot (mine uses the darning foot for the 'sew on a button'), you could easily stitch down the center of the pinwheel securely and relatively quickly. You drop the feed dogs for both. Easy....and you don't have to go shopping :)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I agree with Marsha. It would be easy to tack the center of each either by hand or with machine to hold it down and so it wouldn't show. I think a button-like soft center would detract. It's going to be just darling when you're done.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

I'd do the machine tacking. I've used both the bar tack stitch and occasionally small motif stitches, like a heart. Your machine should be able to handle that.

Very cute quilt!

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I AM working on one for Melanie, but haven't even looked at it since October!

I think I'd go with a tacking stitch in the center of the pinwheels. Or you could use DMC floss and tie it in that spot...use a surgeon's knot to ensure it won't come undone.

I think a really nice button or glass bead would be perfect, but recognize it as a horrible choice for a baby's quilt!

Can't wait to see it done!

• wynative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really liked the 'daisy' idea but couldn't find enough the right color or the right size... need 18. But I did find a little plastic yoyo kit that is the perfect size : )

I plan to start making yoyo's tomorrow - hoping they are not to difficult : )

Thanks for all the idea's! I will post a pic when it is finished.
    Marie

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County