Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannahavana

Not a quilt, but a quick sewing project

cannahavana
12 years ago

My daughter and I both received Kindles for Christmas and of course we had to dress them up! I got the idea after cruising the web and found a fun blog. I need to modify mine a little more. The elastic on the bottom is not wide enough to hold it in.

I didn't think I would like or even want one of these, but I really am enjoying mine. Our local library system started a loan program using e-readers, so I am happy about that. I don't buy many books because our library system is really good. But, I am finding that there are inexpensive books through Amazon.

Rebecca

Here is a link that might be useful: Make a custom Kindle cover

Comments (19)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

those are darling. I don't have one but if I did, I'd sure try that. Thanks.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I love them! These are the nicest ones I have seen.
    I have an iPad - the first one and need a stand like yours.
    A quick cover would be nice also. Thanks - I am going to look closer at the link you posted.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Becky, they are great! I'll have to check out the pattern.

Our library recently started loaning ebooks for Kindles, too. I love it! I don't buy many books, either, but now that I can check them out from the library I'm happy. Now if the library can just get a better search engine...

Donna

• cannahavana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

I didn't think I would really use the stand part, but I did last night. I stood it on the arm of the sofa and read while I snacked!

Rebecca

• cannahavana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh and my sister wants me to make one for her Ipad2. I'll let you know how that works out.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Rebecca my sis loves her Kindle! I've thought about making her a cover, yours is so cute!!
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Great project!

• bee0hio
    12 years ago

Very neat, easy project. Might make one for my new Kindle.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I've had a kindle for a year now, and have subsequently narrowed my library down from 16 bookshelves to just 1.5. I donated all the rest of my books to the local library by the carload! If you'd like to find free books for your kindles, here's the website which got me started on my way to finding them...

-Dan

p.s. Now I'm on my way to check out those directions for a kindle cover!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finding Free Kindle Books

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Rebecca, I want your measurements when you make the iPad cover for your sister - if you want to share. The stand is the very absolute best part of your cover! I use a plate holder for my iPad because I am too cheap to buy a real stand ~LOL ~ it works, but I should / would make a soft one like yours.

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

Wow, nice cover and stand. I have the "2nd generation" Kindle and bought the leather book like cover for it. I made a "cover for the cover". IMHO, fabric is so much nicer to hold than the leather. My kindle has several "outfits", summer, winter, spring....I change with my moods.
    Love Love my kindle and if it broke, I would order another the same day.
    Also donated all my books, except my cookbooks, to the library and freed up an enormous amount of space, which is currently being used for quilty things. Those bookcases are good for fabric, patterns, WIP, and UFOs.
    Enjoy your kindle

• salijo
    12 years ago

Great cover idea! We got one for my mom last year ....she loves it. I read alot also and I think I would love one too, but I exchange books ALOT with ladies at work, so I'm just not sure if it would work for me.
    Salijo

• cannahavana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My DH asked if we could sell all of our books and get rid of the book case, LOL! Murphy, what a great idea for the bookcase space, but I don't think DH would go for that. He thinks I have enough fabric (eye roll).

My Mother inlaw has had a kindle for a year and she loves hers. We have always exchanged books and now we exchange ebooks. Before the kindle, I was reading them on my laptop and smart phone, so I have been do this for awhile. We exchange files now through email and side load them.

My daughter is really benefiting from hers. She is 9 and an avid reader. She tends to read 3-4 books at a time, so they are always laying around the house upside down like tents saving her spot. She has stacks of books everywhere and also checks out several at a time from school and our local library.

My 16 year old son used to be an avid reader, but unless it has to do with a video game, he doesn't read it. Unless it is required for school.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I made one last night! (Don't tell Kate it's batik! LOL)

Rebecca, it looks like yours aren't quite the same. Mine could really use that piece of elastic across the top to hold the Kindle in place. And I think it's just a tad too wide. If I make more I will narrow them by 3/8 to 1/2".

It sure didn't take long to make, though. I may ask the designer if I can make several for our quilt show boutique.

Donna

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Very nice! I need to post a picture of the cover I made for my iPad. How does the cardboard hold up (bending?)? My iPad cover uses 2 layers of plastic mesh. It works pretty good, but not quite stiff enough. If I make another cover, I will also modify the pattern just a little.

Robbi

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Robbi, I used the cardboard out of a ring binder. It seems pretty stiff...hopefully will hold up for a while!

Donna

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing. The covers you made are beautiful.

Jeanne

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Donna! I have that batik! Beautiful!

• cannahavana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yay Donna, it looks great! I did modify mine from the pattern a tad bit. Didn't make the pocket and opted for elastic after reading the comments on the blog from others who made them. I did add a wide band of elastic at the bottom and it makes a low profile pocket to hold it in better. When I make another, I will probably do the elastic like my daughter's. Also, I shortened the flap about a inch so that it wouldn't cover my name label.

Robbi, I recycled the boxes that the Kindles came in for the cardboard.

Rebecca