Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Dec Quilting/Sewing Goals

Here we go....countdown to the big day....and a new year. Whatever we didn't get done last month, can be added to this month or set aside. It's a busy month and we should only be concentrating on what is needful and taking care of ourselves so we can enjoy family and live as stress-free as we can. Passing on a smile, good thoughts, saying something special to all the people who wait on us at the stores and restaurants might just make their day. @:)

I do have a few things I need to get done this month:

1. Make a couple kitchen towels with potholder hangers (idea from Rosa a year or so ago)

2. Complete the Wonky Novelty baby quilt

3. Borders on the Jewels for the New Hope auction

4. Find a few minutes to sew the last block of the BOW series

Plus, there is always the pound cakes I make only at Christmas time, then there's the dreaded post office errand. I have quite a few things to send so hopefully I can get everything done at once. Some of them are not Christmas things, but need to get them out anyway.

Enjoy the slide from day to day, keep rested and paste that smile on your face. lol

SharonG/FL

Comments (32)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Sharon, I'm all about stress-free! Though I know it won't be. Anyway, sewing-wise:

1. Put outer borders on Ode to the Blue & Grey
    2. FINALLY load and start quilting my huge living room wall quilt that has been in the closet for about 5 years - no more excuses!

Quilting that sucker will take me well in to the new year.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Before our Holiday party on Dec 17th I need to
    1. Sandwich and quilt the wallhanging for the office - and add some beading along the bottom.
    2. Make bar towels out of some great martini fabric I found that I want to back with super-absorbent terry cloth. It won't take long to do this so I'm hoping to fit this in one or two evenings after work.
    3. Make a simple table runner to match a set of Franciscan Pottery Starburst dishware I just found at Goodwill. This will make the dessert table look perfect with just a few white snowflake ornaments scattered around.

After Dec 17th, I want to get started on the T-shirt quilt and finish a Quilts of Valor quilt.

No quilting for me this coming weekend though because we'll have family in town and have plans to spend most of the weekend at Disney.

Kate

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Donna, I can hardly wait to see your big quilt!!!

• salijo
    12 years ago

I haven't been doing much sewing but I recently purchased some twirly skirt patterns for toddlers and I want to try to make a couple for my younger grandaughters....I have tons of fabric I can use to get all sorts of quirky combinations! It's going to be hard to choose!
    Salijo

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Sigh, not a lot of sewing for me this month.

1. Get the 5 scrapbooks done for Christmas
    2. Finish the last 6 blocks for an exchange due Jan 15th
    3. Make fleece socks for family members,
    4. Work 3 extra days every week.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beverly, Fleece socks??? Is there a simple pattern for those????

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Yes, there is. Would you like a copy?

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, Ma'am, please.

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I will get it in the mail as soon as I can.

beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Sharon I still make them lol!!!! I need one for spring and Halloween, I like to make matching bottle aprons.

Beverly, I know they are not quilted but I'd like to see a pic of the booties. If you have time lol!!!!!

Kate, Disney should be gorgeous this time of the year. We are having our HUGE fam party the 17th.

My goal is to finish the 'cats' quilt, almost there!!!

The quilted candle mats are still NOT done.

No tree, but I have started to decorate the house and outside. I wrapped 15 gifts for the little ones stockings.

I am starting to have hip probs so I'm making time for the hot tub.

Pacing myself so I'll not be 'stressed out Rosa'

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Now that the Nutcracker is over, I should have a little more time during the week. I can't seem to shake this head cold, so sleep is going to be a big priority this week.

We went snow skiing yesterday and had a blast!! It was the first time for my kids and only the second time for me (dh is very good!). A great perk is I get to hand stitch on the ride there! It's about a 2-3 hour ride, so I can get quite a bit done.

I have a project to do for a co-workers grandson, an embroidered pillow case done on Minky fabrics. If I can decide on a layout, it will go pretty quick. That is always the hard part for me.

Otherwise, mostly staying caught up on my BOM's and maybe getting a little cookie baking done. My dd is showing a great interest in helping in the kitchen, so I might take advantage of the extra help while it lasts.

Robbi

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Beverly.

You girls are so enegetic....makes me feel like a slug! I did get the cutting table somewhat cleared off and back the way it was before Thanksgiving, some of the Wonky Novelty Crumb blocks together and worked on a redwork block.

Today's agenda is to call the phone co and cancel the landline, pay bills and try to get the Wonky blocks ready for the horizontal sashing. Guess I better get moving.....

Have you seen this neat twister wallhanging?

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Twister Christmas Tree

• calliope
    12 years ago

I have a denim 3-D pinwheel quilt in progress, unplanned but started after I made one test block. It's been so much fun I just didn't stop at one. I think I've been at it less than two weeks, and I'm aleady at FMQ'ing the blocks. My new Singer just bites through that denim like it was poplin. Also on the last 1/3 of my hand-quilting the other quilt. I have come to the conclusion that I work better with two quilts in progress, so that I can switch back and forth so I don't get bored.

Squeaker toys to make for the doggie Christmas presents, another sock monkey for my newest g'son, and I have the wool cut out for a lined suit jacket I finished the trousers to a few months ago. Would like to get it done for this season.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

We are certainly a busy group, aren't we!?!

Sharon - the twister tree is great! BTW, we are finally cancelling our land line too. I thought we were the last family in America to have one!

Rosa - Disney was perfect Saturday evening. Not hot at all, but OK for short sleeves and cool enough so a jacket was OK. By fireworks time the jacket felt good!

Kate

• polardream
    12 years ago

That twister tree is really cute! I could make a small one for the motorhome.

Since we are getting ready to head out in the motorhome until April my December goals are very short - and almost done.

1. Finish a birthday quilt for a friend's November birthday. (I had it all quilted when I realized my bobbin tension was off and had to tear it all apart and have the sewing machine serviced!) DONE & WASHED - just need to deliver.

2. Finish washing the 20 fleece blankets for Project Linus and deliver. I volunteered with my old teaching partner to help the middle schoolers make these last Thursday. They had a couple to finish & I picked them up this morning. One more washer to go!

3. If I have any time between other projects I will work on Double Irish Chain for my old principal's retirement in May.

I am trying not to stress and enjoy this month - in spite of all the snow we have had! Keep warm.
    Beverly - maybe I need a pattern for fleece socks too!

Sue/polardream

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I finished the Ode to the Blue & Grey top last weekend, after the border went through several redesigns in my head.

I also decided to finish 2 smaller hand sewing projects (they will be pillows) and get them out of my project box, so I should have pictures later today. Then if I feel up to it I plan to get ready to quilt my living room quilt.

I came down with a cold or something the day before T'giving and I still don't feel 100%. I've been feeling pretty well but still have some congestion; now this morning I feel tired and wrung out again. Sure hope I'm not having a relapse. Our church Christmas concerts are tonight and tomorrow night (4 performances) and I'm in the orchestra. I'll just take it easy and rest as much as I can.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I'm still working on Nov's Goals.......maybe pictures later.
    I bought those twister templates - I need to make something with them.
    Donna - Very nice quilt - love the border blocks - better you redesign in your head - doesn't waste fabric that way :-)
    Hope you feel better.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna, You did an awesome job making the quilt top! I'm sure that might have something to do with you feeling wrung out....along with all the orchestra practices you probably had to attend for the concerts. Pace yourself.

Marsha, When I saw that Twister Christmas Tree I almost wanted to order the pattern. There's one for a wreath, too. But, I shall resist.....I think.

I have been working on the Wonky Novelty baby quilt and should be able to complete the top today. Found some flannel I really liked for the backing but there wasn't enough so will check out another Walmart this week and see if they have it.

Finally got the last of the 25 blocks of the BOW together...not sure what I'll do with them. Being pink, lavendar and cream, they need something to tone them down....maybe black sashing? In any case, they'll be put away for awhile cause I'm sick of looking at them.

Finally got to Walmart to pick up a couple sheets to use for backing and picked up everything else but the sheets! Had to go back.....another gallon of gasoline down the drain.

DH is off to his bonsai Christmas party/meeting today, the cat is in her normal morning sleeping place....my bed,..I'd really like to make her a hammock!

Hope everyone has a fruitful and non-stressful week-end. Sit down for a few minutes sometime today, close your eyes and just meditate.....no fair thinking about what you should be doing or making lists in your head, either. @:)

SharonG/FL

• salijo
    12 years ago

Well I've finished one of the twirly skirts, with the exception of putting the elastic in the casing. I purchased a roll of elastic on eBay and am expecting the delivery shortly. I have two more to go and one of those is almost halfway finished.

On Thursday night I was asked to accompany a new member of our church when she sings AVE MARIA at our Christmas Program on the 18th....what????? I remember playing around with that a little bit as a teenager over 30 years ago! Plus, she won't get the music to me until tomorrow. I was able to download the music online in the original key. Hope it's the same!

It doesn't pay to be the only member of our church who actually can read a little bit of music and can play piano (or keys in this case.) We normally use contemporary music that is performed by ear. I "retired" from the keyboard position a few years ago after my grandaughter's illness and passing; now I sing in the choir. I don't play much anymore so I'll probably add some strings into it to help hide the flaws!

Salijo

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Salijo, I'm sure you will do a beautiful job! There have been many times I said yes to doing some musical thing I wasn't comfortable with...something about being good friends with the music director, I think. :)

Sharon, you're right...we had 3 hour rehearsals on Monday & Wednesday night, plus I worked all five days this week. Last week I had Friday off and missed Tuesday & half of Monday out sick.

Here are my pillows. This one was started in a Celtic Applique class at QU in 2009. I finished the center during the class, then decided I didn't like my color scheme and put it away. I got it back out last weekend and drafted and appliqued the border.

When we have our quilt show every 2 years, Blank Quilting always sends us hundreds of these little hexagon kits as door prizes. Each kit makes one "flower". This year I kept a few for myself to try English paper piecing. I didn't know what else to do with them so made a pillow.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sally, You sell yourself short! Read a little bit of music???? Come on...they'd give you the tape and want you to write it up for them! Your knowledge of composing, reading and playing music is outstanding. I might be biased, but it's true. Plus, you have always had a city wide award winning singing voice. @:)

We have fifth generation church musicians (including all 3 of my girls)....dating back to my grandmother. The 6th generation is being groomed to carry on the tradition. lol

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops, sorry Donna, It sometimes takes me so long to write a post, other people can post before I get mine completed!

Congratz on getting your Celtic Applique completed. Did you enjoy the process? I commend you in using your little flower blocks. Any plans for the pillow?

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Donna I think your quilt and pillows are really beautiful. Well to save my sanity I did all my Christmas shopping and wrapping early - so am done with that. Now if I can just keep my snooping little boy out from under the tree for the next 2 weeks I'll be doing good. He is already peaking at gifts that I put in gift bags. I am recovering from surgery so for the next week and a half I am taking some "me" time to do some quilting, quilting always lowers my stress level which is good in preparation for the holidays. We will be RVing this year spending time with family we haven't seen in a while and will be great fun for the kids. Hope everyone has a peaceful, stress-free Christmas, Holidays, and New Year! :-)

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Sharon, I liked making the Celtic applique. I hand-sewed it all. I didn't much care for making the bias strips - they didn't want to stay pressed shut! LOL

Both pillows will be donated to my guild.

Donna

• msmeow
    12 years ago

It's finally on the frame! I haven't quilted much yet, but it's started!

I also layered and basted a hand appliqued wall hanging (24 x 36) that I've decided to hand quilt. I haven't hand quilted in a long time, so this evening I think I will do some practice before I start on the quilt.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna, Your quilt is beautiful!

• msmeow
    12 years ago

It's halfway quilted! It's not taking as long as I thought it would.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow Donna, that is really pretty! Really like the applique.

Sandra, Having surgery close to Christmas is one way to get the shopping done. Hope your recovery is swift and uneventful. You and Sue will be able to compare notes on your RV travels. Do you have a blog where we can keep track of you and how you're doing?

We have another week in this month.....bet we all feel drained just trying to get things done by tomorrow. I really liked the Twister Christmas Tree, so started looking online for the tool and pattern.....figured I'd treat myself. I ended up going to the LQS to see if they had it. They did....cost more but I didn't have to pay postage or wait for it to be delivered. They didn't have the tree pattern but had the wreath. Hoping to at least get it sewed, cut and sewed back together again by the end of the year.

We opened gifts this morning with DD's family.......I'll save that for the January goals. Suffice it to say, I see a 1600" quilt in my future. @:) ..... orange!

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Sandra and Donna I hope you both are felling better.

Wish we could all be there Sally, I know you were amazing!

Sharon I was so drained from volunteering and baking and delivering. Everything was the same week including our family party. This week I just relaxed and did NOTHING lol!!!

OMG Donna they are all stunning!!! I made one block for a pineapple and never did another. It is on my 'to do ' list.
    Your applique is gorgeous, the applique on the 'cat' quilt I made was pitiful lol, I really need practice!!!!
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I'm so impressed with everyone's beautiful quilts!

I don't think I'll get anything done that I had planned for the month but that just gives me more fun things to do in January, right?

Hugs and applause for all that had plans for December and finished them in time for gifting or displaying! You rock!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was able to get 3 things done that were on my list plus you know I was playing around with a few other things. heh heh heh I'm a great one for making a few blocks and then going to something else......sigh.

This week will be sorting through my mind and trying to get an idea of what I can really focus on the next year as far as quilting. I'm down to only 13 quilt tops and (I think) 9 sets of blocks. I'm pleased with those that were moved out/given away this year and am looking forward to the next year. I have plans for at least 3 and possibly 4 of the quilt tops, so that makes it easier.

Is it ever possible to keep a table top free of anything except a machine so you don't have to clear everything off of it to FM? I think it must be a rule in my house if there's any available table space, cover it up!

I need to get the turkey carcass going for broth, so have a wonderful week everyone.....

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

LOL I know exactly what you mean about space! My ironing board stays covered, the cutting table, and my sewing table.

AND I pulled out all of the Christmas fabrics to see what I had.

After the gym (skipped for FOUR days) I am going to look for Christmas discounted name tags NOTHING else.

Turkey soup sounds so good!!! We roasted a hen last night for the first time. I have always baked in the past,never again! We used spices we had received as gifts and it was delicious!!!
    Rosa

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz