Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Batiks- Connecting Threads Evaluation

Posted by magothyrivergirl (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 8, 10 at 10:12

I ordered some Batik charms that were on sale at Connecting Thread - $2.48 for 24 just to see what they were like. I needed to bump my order to $50 for the free freight.
They are definitely much, much thinner than the Batiks from LQS, any others I have ordered or even (gasp)batiks from Joanns. The colors are very, very pretty, but I wonder how the design looks on a full piece off the bolt. There is a right and wrong side- in my opinion. Some of the charms had folds/ creases in the squares - I haven't measured them. I have also never ordered charms before, so don't know if this is normal, but who wants to remeasure and possibly trim?
Overall, they are not bad, and I might have to order some yardage to get the full effect of the look. They do cost a lot less - so I did not expect the same.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Batiks- Connecting Threads Evaluation

One + for Connecting threads is the fabric is supposed to be American made. Lately I have been reading reports of infestation with imported items.
I have no issues with their products but not always impressed with color and pattern choices.
Have not tried the batiks. Jayne

o

Some of the fabrics are good but their batiks are incredibly thin. I used mine up but prefer to get mine from other sources now.

o

I've had wrinkles and small folds in even the more expensive batiks. I think it's just the nature of the beast. Perhaps using their batiks for wall hangings would be a better use than a bed quilt or throw which will get more physical use. Same reason I will use polyester batting in a wall hanging but not in a quilt as it doesn't have the drape (read cuddle-ability) of cotton batting.

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here